Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the K-x have a tendency to underexpose?

I noticed this last night, during the sunset photos it worked out to my advantage, but as it got darker and darker while using AV mode I noticed that the exposures were not nearly long enough.

06-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shouldn't be the case in general - at least, no more so than any other ISO-compliant camera (eg, tries to make a scene a little darker than 18% on average, even if the actual scene is lighter than that). Feel free to post samples if you think your camera is doing something other than that.
06-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting - I've been running into the opposite issue under certain circumstances. Especially under fluorescent light I have to dial EV down so my exposure times are short enough that I don't have to worry about blown highlights when I'm processing. Either that or I aim the camera some place extra bright to meter and then snap my photo
06-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

With my K-x it had a tendency to overexpose. It liked -.3 EV. From what I've read, the K-7 is the opposite, liking +.3 EV.

06-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I noticed this last night, during the sunset photos it worked out to my advantage, but as it got darker and darker while using AV mode I noticed that the exposures were not nearly long enough.
I noticed that on mine too. It's second nature for me to shoot at +.3, I don't think twice about it. I shoot 95% in M mode and I always err on the + side.
06-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #6

Mine seems to underexpose in very bright sunlight, I tend to shoot +1 EV. The histogram shows this as well.
06-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

Were you using M42 lens on it?

I believe that K-X doesn't give an accurate metering with M42 lenses.

For outdoor shots with my super-multi-coated Takumar 50mm 1.4, I have to dial in +2 EV for the correct exposure.
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the way my K20D exposes in Matrix mode. My K-x tends to overexpose (clips highlights).

06-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Mine seems to underexpose in very bright sunlight
Again, this is not generally underexposure. Sounds like the camera is following the standards of exposure correctly (as they've been followed for around a century). The standards call for the camera to render scenes in "average" brightness (histogram centered half a stop or so left of center). Scenes brighter than average are *supposed* to come out looking darker than they appear in life unless you apply compensation.
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I like the way my K20D exposes in Matrix mode. My K-x tends to overexpose (clips highlights).
I also get more overexposed shots from the K-x than other Pentax bodies. However, saying the camera overexposes may not be accurate.

Every meteriing system has its quirks, and it is up to me to learn them.
06-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I also get more overexposed shots from the K-x than other Pentax bodies. However, saying the camera overexposes may not be accurate.

Every metering system has its quirks, and it is up to me to learn them.
I agree with you Gene, yours is a more accurate statement.

I find it a bit frustrating that Pentax decided to push the exposure in the K-x, but it's not surprising they did, since they were criticized repeatedly in reviews for what I consider accurate exposures (i.e. protecting the highlights). I've been using CW metering with the K-x, as it seems less likely to overexpose than Matrix metering.
06-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Again, this is not generally underexposure. Sounds like the camera is following the standards of exposure correctly (as they've been followed for around a century). The standards call for the camera to render scenes in "average" brightness (histogram centered half a stop or so left of center). Scenes brighter than average are *supposed* to come out looking darker than they appear in life unless you apply compensation.
This is really what this thread is about. It's a very common complaint with new users. I think compact cameras set up an expectation that the camera will guess at what you're trying to expose, whereas with a Pentax dslr, the photographer has to make the decision.
06-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #13

Not sure what a "new" user is, the K-X is my fifth SLR and second DSLR, all of them Pentax. In certain situations the camera underexposes and I compensate with EV of around +1. Again this is shown by the histogram. I am happy with the camera and don't see this as a complaint, As some folks have already said, all cameras have certain quirks and characteristics that you have to get used to.

Last edited by bigdog104; 06-21-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Grammer
06-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I agree with you Gene, yours is a more accurate statement.

I find it a bit frustrating that Pentax decided to push the exposure in the K-x, but it's not surprising they did, since they were criticized repeatedly in reviews for what I consider accurate exposures (i.e. protecting the highlights). I've been using CW metering with the K-x, as it seems less likely to overexpose than Matrix metering.
I agree that it is a bit frustrating when you get used to a manufacturer's way of doing things, and they change it. My experience is also that the K10/20d tended to protect the highlights in a way that the K-x does not. I generally use CW for my other Pentax bodies, and perhaps I should double check that the K-x is not set for matrix.
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Not sure what a "new" user is, the K-X is my fifth SLR and second DSLR, all of them Pentax. In certain situations the camera underexposes and I compensate with EV of around +1. Again this is shown by the histogram. I am happy with the camera and don't see this as a complaint, As some folks have already said, all cameras have certain quirks and characteristics that you have to get used to.
There have been many threads here started by new users, where the complaint is that the K-x underexposes. When aked to show an example, they show a dark subject framed against a bright sky and/or water. It's invariably a clear case where +Ev was needed and not applied. That's what I'm talking about.