Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

K-x highlight correction

Has anyone experimented with this function? Verdict? I note that, when it is selected, the minimum available ISO setting is 400.

Thanks!

06-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LN108 Quote
Has anyone experimented with this function? Verdict? I note that, when it is selected, the minimum available ISO setting is 400.

Thanks!
Yeah, because it's assumed the highlights would get totally blown out at low ISO.

I don't use it...I read not to...but that the Shadow Correction is okay because it uses a different type of correction.
06-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-7 an use the highlight correction very often. It's a good way to correct whitewashed spots in a frame or have them at least within control a bit more. I'm guessing the K-x works the same way. Just try it with bright lights within a average or dark frame and see how you can use it for your benefit.
06-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do these modes do more than just set EV+- adjustments? Do they add to the contrast levels, too?

06-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

They basically adjust the curves, just as you could in PP.
06-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #6

If you turn on expanded ISO, the minimum ISO drops to 200 with highlight correction on.
07-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #7

kx highlight correction

I've tried it and find that whites tend to become a bit grey and lose detail - it seems better to underexpose so that you dont wash out the highlights.

This can be assisted by using just shadow correction and keeping your exposure to the left - the shadows will lighten up a small bit and the highlights should then not be blown.

Be aware that the camera slows down the processing of the images when either the highlight or shadow corrction is on.

I have to add though that using a shadow correction function in the PP phase is a better solution for me as I get a better range of shadow correction in my software.