Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
FYI - as the original reason I started this thread was the death of my SDM lenses...
Pentax Canada has sent me an estimate on the repair of the DA*50-135 in question - they are replacing the motor and/or/same? gear plate A assembly. Charging me for the parts only as a "goodwill gesture" (their words, not mine) because it was out of warranty by 6 months, and I had just had motor replaced on my 16-50 (plus an additional "repair" because it stopped AF after the motor was replaced)
Don't get me wrong, I think Pentax has wonderful glass. I have some incredible sports shots also, but it is slow to track, especially in arena's where I'm working at the 2.8.
I have learned to work around this by really getting to know the camera. My whole point of this thread, was that I was frustrated with high quality lenses breaking down far too early. When your gear is breaking down before it should, a person does question the brand they are using.
Agreed, and whatever you choose I hope it works out for you Mokey.

06-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #137

FYI - as the original reason I started this thread was the death of my SDM lenses...
Pentax Canada has sent me an estimate on the repair of the DA*50-135 in question - they are replacing the motor and/or/same? gear plate A assembly. Charging me for the parts only as a "goodwill gesture" (their words, not mine) because it was out of warranty by 6 months, and I had just had motor replaced on my 16-50 (plus an additional "repair" because it stopped AF after the motor was replaced)
Don't get me wrong, I think Pentax has wonderful glass. I have some incredible sports shots also, but it is slow to track, especially in arena's where I'm working at the 2.8.
I have learned to work around this by really getting to know the camera. My whole point of this thread, was that I was frustrated with high quality lenses breaking down far too early. When your gear is breaking down before it should, a person does question the brand they are using.
Can you tell us how much the parts will be costing you?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread yet but in Canada we get 2 years warranty with Pentax gear. Nikon provides 5 years on their lenses and 2 years for their bodies. For some that might be what tips the scales.. particularly if you're shooting for clients other than yourself..

quicker AF - check
better high-ISO - check
longer warranty period - check

higher cost - cheque!
06-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
Unfortunately, no matter how good the shot, the Pentax bashers ...
Come on, bashers? Really? I notice you are shooting with a K-X. Remember all that talk about ISO performance with the K10 and how it was a lack of skill by the photographers and they should know what shots to get and how to use thier equipment to get it? Yes, same old argument, different day. And there you are using a K-X. Hmmp.

Thank you
Russell
06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #139

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
Can you tell us how much the parts will be costing you?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread yet but in Canada we get 2 years warranty with Pentax gear. Nikon provides 5 years on their lenses and 2 years for their bodies. For some that might be what tips the scales.. particularly if you're shooting for clients other than yourself..

quicker AF - check
better high-ISO - check
longer warranty period - check

higher cost - cheque!
Pentax Canada has quoted me $143 plus taxes and shipping.

06-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #140
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Canada has quoted me $143 plus taxes and shipping.
Hey that's not too bad a price.
06-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #141
Forum Member

wonderful sporting pics
06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #142
Pentaxian

OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
Can you get your hands on a Sigma with HSM to try out?

Switching to a whole new system can be a financial burden especially since Pentax generally doesn't keep it's value on the open market very well. I maintain 2 systems Canon and Pentax; i refuse to give up my Pentax because of the images i get out of the camera without PP in my eyes is what i personally like BUT most of my Pentax images are planned or has somewhat of a methodical preshoot process even when i'm walking around vs my Canon system which is pretty much a "quick draw" point and shoot event, i continue to maintain both but have stopped my Canon system as a 4 lens setup whereas my Pentax system continues to expand with body and lenses being added...i really like the images right out of the camera without any PP vs Canon's or even Nikon's.

Simply stating without going into technicalities the images from my Pentax gear is what i prefer, the Canon system was a temporary distraction which i'll keep because the investment is too much to even think about reselling or god forbid trading.

Try some HSM lenses and if needed switch because afterall, your images are most important to you and if the tools you have cannot get the images you want, why torture yourself? I hope HSM works out for you, i only own one on my Canon (8-16) but i rarely pick up that bag i only wanted to finish my 4-lens setup and i did
06-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #143
Site Supporter

Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started.
For what it's worth, my 50-135 tends to make high pitched squeaking noises when it's coming into focus, but I've never had an issue with it, it's focus speed is fine, and I shoot with it all the time.

When my 16-50 needed to be repaired, it stopped making noises of any kind.

I guess I'm saying if the AF isn't slowing down, this behavior may not be indicative of a failure.

If you go with another brand, you'll get the "privilege" of procuring expensive OS glass, instead of having SDM in the body. You'll also miss the Pentax high end glass and primes (or so I'm told).

06-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
For what it's worth, my 50-135 tends to make high pitched squeaking noises when it's coming into focus, but I've never had an issue with it, it's focus speed is fine, and I shoot with it all the time.

When my 16-50 needed to be repaired, it stopped making noises of any kind.

I guess I'm saying if the AF isn't slowing down, this behavior may not be indicative of a failure.

If you go with another brand, you'll get the "privilege" of procuring expensive OS glass, instead of having SDM in the body. You'll also miss the Pentax high end glass and primes (or so I'm told).
One reason I keep my K100D around is to put the DA* 50-135mm on and give it a whirl, making sure the AF mechanism on the lens is still moving. Then, I put it on the K10D or K7, it would turn smoothly and quietly. I do that once a while to ensure nothing gets stuck when it sits there for too long.
06-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #145

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I'm sure people got tired of my SDM posts, but this was the reason I kept posting; get the word out, get heard above the deniers, so that people knew about the risks before buying the lenses. It was too late for the early adopters, but hopefully those that kept an open mind started buying extended warranties.

Did you pay for the 50-135mm with a credit card and does that credit card automatically extend the warranty?

Thank you
Russell
Russell, thanks for the heads up regarding the credit card. My M/C will cover extended warranty, so they are going to look at it. In my frustration, I never thought about that! And I agree that people should know about these SDM issues. Had I known that both my SDM lenses would fail, I would have checked out other 2.8 lenses out there. Thanks again
06-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #146
Veteran Member

do not say that to a nicanonian :)

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
One reason I keep my K100D around is to put the DA* 50-135mm on and give it a whirl, making sure the AF mechanism on the lens is still moving. Then, I put it on the K10D or K7, it would turn smoothly and quietly. I do that once a while to ensure nothing gets stuck when it sits there for too long.
OMG I have recently been in a forum argumentation with some fellow canikoners, they would have laughed their behinds over this. It's like you have to jumpstart your lens - maybe Pentax will offer a manual jumpstart like on the boat horseboard engines

Anyway, if that keeps your lens healthy, go for it
06-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
Definitely yes. Pentax is not for sports. You can shoot sports with Pentax, however it is much easier to do that with Canikon.
Also SDM lenses reliability is a joke. There's no way I will buy Pentax SDM lens in their current SDM implementation (micro motors suck).
06-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #148
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Definitely yes. Pentax is not for sports. You can shoot sports with Pentax, however it is much easier to do that with Canikon.
Also SDM lenses reliability is a joke. There's no way I will buy Pentax SDM lens in their current SDM implementation (micro motors suck).
mokey,

if you will use your camera primarily for sports, then i agree with edvinas. pentax can do it, but the higer-end canikons can do it easier

i for one used my K10, km and now kx for my daugther's sporting events. i bought a 50-135 but returned it since it arrived damaged.

switched that w/ a sigma 50-150 HSM II and i've gotten pretty good results.

so far, the best among the 3 bodies is the kx.

i'm waiting for pentax to deliver a better AFC tracking in their DSLR's hopefully by this photokina.

if not, i'll wait for canikon to offer AA batteries in their dslrs (no, not in the grip )

pentax knows their AF limitations and AF has been improving a lot since the 1st *ist series.

will the next incarnation be up to par with the canikons for sports? i hope so

so if you need it now, i'd sell and switch, but remember, there's always that $$$ premium.

YMMV

Last edited by opiedog; 06-28-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typo
06-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #149
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is much easier to do with lots of $$$

Keep your Pentax and invest in a Sigma 100-300 + TC. Or a fast 70-200/2.8 from Tamron.

Better bang for the $$$ or you'll need a D90 or higher to get *marginally* faster AF. Ideally, you'll need a D300 to really see a focus tracking difference. As a recovering Nikon user (with a bruised wallet) you see exactly the same issues in the Nikon forums where people with modest budgets expect pro results.

While the Pentax AF might be a bit slow, when on, it's accurate. Very accurate. More than Nikon I would say, although this is my subjective opinion. I have been tracking this by using MF lenses and shooting when told to by the camera and have been amazed, quite frankly, at just how good the focus indicator is at getting it right. Many reviews of the Pentax line say the same thing.

All this squeaking when AF on the SDM lenses speaks mostly to the weather seals IMO. If that's the case, then there's friction, and where there's friction, there's motor wear, the biggest cause of premature failure. The SDM mechanism may in itself be solid, but tolerances and/or materials with the sealing might be the major culprit.

It would be interesting to see a stats breakdown of failure rates between the 17-70 SDM and the DA* lenses.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 06-28-2010 at 07:36 PM.
06-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #150

Pentax is not for sports. You can shoot sports with Pentax, however it is much easier to do that with Canikon.
This is the kind of overreaching statement that harms Pentax as a company, tells a half truth and does not provide enough information to make an informed choice. What sports? Shooting for Sports Illustrated getting thousands of dollars for a shot or your kid's soccer game? Much easier with which Canon? There is a huge range between models. Are you going to spend thousands of dollars to shoot family photographs. And last but not least, there is the photographers skill. This thread has shown that in the hands of a skilled user, Pentax takes great sports photographs. Of course, you can get a higher level camera for $5,000, but bang for the buck, Pentax beats the competition hands down. Our newsroom offers Canons and Nikons, but for ease of use and features I'll take my Kx every time.