Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #211
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
That's my belief too. The warranty is an expression of confidence the manufacture has in the quality of their product. That's why I''m more inclined to buy Sigma lenses instead of Pentax lenses.

Here in Canada, Pentax bodies are guaranteed for two years, the same as Nikon. Had that not been the case, I would have bought a Nikon instead of Pentax.
In Canada a number of brands (and not just i cameras) have been hedging the $CAN with warranty extensions to keep customers from going to US retailers. Fuji went with a 3 year warranty on their P&S's. This allowed them to justify their higher prices in the Canadian market, and was a nickel cost to them on the balance sheet as warranty is a retained risk with contingent liability based on actuary, and Canada is 11%of the US market, so the amount set-off for the extra 2 years of Canadian losses is negligible. It also allows companies to avoid insurance requirements if using third party warranty suppliers.

It does well for Nikon (and Hyundai).

07-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Here in Canada, Pentax bodies are guaranteed for two years
So are the lenses.
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #213
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd look into it. My feeling is that you will find that cost wise, to get a body that auto focuses faster than the K7/Kx and lenses to match what you have, that you are going to have considerable expense. At the same time, your kids are only young once and you want to remember the things they do, maybe it is worth the expense of a D90/D700 and lenses.

On the other side, I do think that Pentax will address some auto focus issues with a release this fall. Of course, that won't fix SDM durability issues, so if that continues to worry you, probably better to bail.

I will say that I have a lot easier time taking a K7 with, the DA 40 or DA 70 to a family gathering than I would a D700 with one of Nikon's amazing (but huge) zooms.
Huh? a D90 as a Recomendation over the K-7? ARE YOU FEELING OK? THE d90 IS 4.5 fps AND k-7 is 5.2 fps. Personaly I would take the K-7 anytime day or night over the D90

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:59 PM.
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #214
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
They generally cost a lot of money because of the level of performance. I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from saying that Canon lack affordable primes. It looks to me as if Canon lacks a middle class of primes as far as price goes and that is where the third party steps in.

The Canon 50/1.8, brand new, is $100. How much more affordable can you get before the lens is completely plastic?
Canon and Nikon both lack pale in comparson to Pentax's Primes! They both have Primes but their as expensive as i'll get out, several $thousand a piece, i'll stick with Pentax myself, they are Less and just about as good

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
07-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #215
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Huh? a D90 as a Recomendation over the K-7? ARE FEELING OK? THE d90 IS 4.5 fps AND k-7 is 5.2 fps. Personaly I would take the K-7 anytime day or night over the D90
Same here I will not buy the D-90 or even the D-700 after comparing the shots with my K-x at the Photographers Seminar / Exhibit sponsored by my friends at Nikon and Epson. D-5000 is worse, so I can say that I made the right decision in going back to Pentax after the demise of my D-80.
07-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #216
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
FWIW - back in my Sony days I had Tamron's 18-250 and liked it a lot. I then picked up a Sigma 18-200 (Quantaray) at a Ritz fire sale. After sufficient testing I sold the 18-250, for several reasons:
  • IQ was pretty much a draw, both sharpness & bokeh
  • smaller & lighter beat out 200-250mm for me
  • the 18-200 stayed f/5.6 out to 180mm, nice!
  • and let's face it: the resale value of the 18-250 was a lot higher..
That was one copy vs. one copy, so others would reach different conclusions. The 18-200 was available for under $150, so the Tamron sale paid for that and most of my 17-70 Sigma! I felt the 18-200 was a tiny bit faster to focus, with a tiny bit better bokeh. Both lenses were pretty poor around 100mm, curiously enough. The Sigma showed much greater FL reduction at close focus compared to the Tamron, at 200mm it looked more like 170mm with other lenses, including the 18-250. If you don't know what I'm talking about go here.

As to why stay with Pentax? For me, because it isn't sony . I wanted sensor-based stabilization, flexibility, durability and great images. Sony chose to shoot at other targets rather than replace their A700, so here I am. I dumped about six nice lenses (2 to go) so I was somewhat invested in Minolta and Sony stuff, but their actions did not reassure me that they cared what I did. Pentax has shown me enough that I am most happy with my K-7. I wanted a camera this size, and aps-c design is more than enough for what I need.

Thanks for the info. For 18-200 which will you choose per your experience on them, Tamron or Sigma. IQ only, I am not very concerned on AF speed.

Regards
07-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #217
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
both are in k mount.

i found both w/ about the same IQ.
for a walk-around, so far this is the best.
it performs very well from about 23-150mm (for a super zoom)

cons:
1. zoom creep
2. slow - in low light, AF can be difficult
3. 250mm is only 250 at infinity, if you shoot up-close, 250 is more like 150. that's just the design of the lens
4. 18mm has quite a bit of distortion, but is usable
5. towards 250, it gets kinda soft but is usable.

i find my former sigma 17-70 was much sharper at the same range, but at 70 is where it stops.

i dont' have any worthwhile samples to show, mostly use it for family shots.

i'll try to post some when i get the chance.

regards,
jordan
HI Jordan,

Same question, which will you select personally, Sigma or Tamron for the 18-200 or 250?

Regards
07-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Damn! Is this p*ssing contest still going on.

07-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #219
Veteran Member

I think this thread has gone way past its shelf-life.
07-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #220

Original Poster
Amen!
07-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Warranty?

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If there is anything that I find poor about Pentax a a brand it is the warranty. A short warranty is an indicator of poor quality in many consumer's eyes.

I partially disagree here. 1 year is pretty much standard across the board for a lot of consumer products. My Apple computers/iPhone/iPod/Monitors are only 1 year warranties... yet I have had no issues over the last three years and never once did I "question" its quality based on a warranty, all my homebuilt PCs are built with components that are usually 1 year... three years running... still good, hell some of these are only 90 day warranties!

Now, if Pentax had a 90 day warranty... like a lot of cheaper consumer products out there... then I would wholeheartedly agree with you. As it is the K-7 has a three year warranty on it... which I find more than acceptable. The lenses are covered with a 1 year, which to me is also acceptable**

Now... would I like a longer warranty on the lenses too? Of course! But, basing overall quality and durability on a one year warranty isnt exactly fair, especially when its not only the most common warranty... but in general, this day in age if something is going to break it usually does so in the first year.

I also want to point one other thing out here... not all super long warranties mean you're buying a good product either, I have had some items that come with 3-5 year warranties... only to be used four or five times in the first two years. To me, thats far more unacceptable that having something built right the first time that only needs to get sent in once or never and works well past a 1 year warranty. You can even go back and forth with this saying that a company is so confident in their product that a 1 year warranty is all they need, because they believe it will run properly past that point.

**Although I really do think that the SDM issues should have Pentax extending these warranties out a bit just to make sure they aren't pissing people off. Much like Microsoft and the xbox 360.

Anyway, my 2cents. I am done with this thread. The OP already said she is not switching and will be trying something new.

Last edited by kalison; 07-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #222
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
HI Jordan,

Same question, which will you select personally, Sigma or Tamron for the 18-200 or 250?

Regards
i never had the 18-200, but from reading a lot of reviews, the 18-250 tamron/pentax has the better IQ by a good margin specially at the center where it's quite sharp. the sigma 18-250 version has OS(not needed on pentax) and HSM (nice) but has mixed reviews. OTOH, quite a lot of good reviews for the 18-250 tamtax

i had a 28-300 tamron (film) before and i've read (but can't confirm) it's similar to the design of the 18-200. the 28-300 was just so-so. for film, hard to tell, but for digital at 100% view, you can tell.
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #223
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i never had the 18-200, but from reading a lot of reviews, the 18-250 tamron/pentax has the better IQ by a good margin specially at the center where it's quite sharp. the sigma 18-250 version has OS(not needed on pentax) and HSM (nice) but has mixed reviews. OTOH, quite a lot of good reviews for the 18-250 tamtax

i had a 28-300 tamron (film) before and i've read (but can't confirm) it's similar to the design of the 18-200. the 28-300 was just so-so. for film, hard to tell, but for digital at 100% view, you can tell.
Thanks Jordan. I will go then for the Tamron. It will be a bit hard to find here for Pentax mount. I found a Sigma here and the price is Php 22K (USD 475) for 18-200 and Php 28K (USD 605) for 18-250.

I will check Photokina on the Tamron, have to visit personally as their website appear to be down and the phones published on the net were not ringing.

Regards,

Ray
07-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
Thanks Jordan. I will go then for the Tamron. It will be a bit hard to find here for Pentax mount. I found a Sigma here and the price is Php 22K (USD 475) for 18-200 and Php 28K (USD 605) for 18-250.

Ray
Also take a look at ????? Price.com.hk

You may find that it's cheaper to enjoy a weekend break in Hong Kong and buy here than just buying in Manila.

Of course, make sure that the store has the lens in stock and that you have a useful warranty.
07-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #225
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Also take a look at ????? Price.com.hk

You may find that it's cheaper to enjoy a weekend break in Hong Kong and buy here than just buying in Manila.

Of course, make sure that the store has the lens in stock and that you have a useful warranty.

Thanks for the tip.