Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would definitely, DEFINITELY switch if I were you.

As a matter of fact, I'm kind of surprised you posted this question in the first place, because it's very obvious that Pentax is simply incapable of shooting school sports.

It's HORRIBLE at it, and even though a few hundred members here achieve amazing results, it's still HORRIBLE when it comes to sports:

Those people just got lucky.

So switch brands. Because it HAS to be the brand that's your problem, correct?

06-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Yeah, I like Henry's too. That's who put the "bug in my ear" about the idea of switching when he heard about my problems with the SDM. The guy I talked to used to have Pentax, but switched to Nikon because of reliability issues. I'll try to get my hands on a Sigma to test it out. The warranty sure does make it look good!
I don't buy stuff from Henry because I think their stuff are generally over priced. I would not be surprised that they promote either C or N brand. I find dealing with Pentax Canada support to be rather good so I do not need to deal with the dealer.
06-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
You may find that the competition is not without problems, however I know people who shoot both Nikon and Canon, and at the one step above Pentax stage, they are definitely better tools.
And personally, I think a craftsman has every right to blame his tools for not being good enough, especially when they break under normal use and are all over the map WRT build quality, which are the problems with Pentax at the moment.
Pentax design and QC has definitely taken a quality hit, the SDM AF is a step backwards in every respect, and the problems with the AF motors kakking is undeniably real.

If you are primarily interested in sports shooting, Canon's AF system is light years ahead of Pentax, as is Nikon's, but, as I said earlier, you will be paying more money for their upper end bodies to get it.
What you will get in return is equipment that just works, without the drama.
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I don't buy stuff from Henry because I think their stuff are generally over priced. I would not be surprised that they promote either C or N brand. I find dealing with Pentax Canada support to be rather good so I do not need to deal with the dealer.
I've bought from Henry's and yes, price can be an issue for them, but that generally applies to all Canadian retailers who have the screws put to them by the distributors.

I have generally found the service and staff at Henry's very good. When I wanted to try the Pentax version of the Tamron 17-50, but it was no at my preferred store, they had it brought over from the other store for me to try ad buy, then offered me a further $30 off. They promote Pentax as best they can given that very few actually walk in the door and ask for a Pentax. Most people come in and buy "what my friend recommends".

06-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
If you've got the money for the Nikon equivalent, go for it.

3. AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED = $1000 (Not stabilized)
Absolutely stellar lens. And if you're buying this, you're using a tripod.

There are legit reasons to switch systems. Going to the heart of this thread, how about the Nikon lens warranty. 5 year Nikon Canada warranty. That's some serious investment incentive.
06-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so for sport shooters...whose lens micro motor is more expensive to fix given the same type of lens like the 70-200 f/2.8?
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
You should switch.
06-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
Inactive Account

OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
Well, you should switch. I've been shooting Pentax gear since the early 70s.

Here's why Pentax DSLR's don't cut the mustard.

No good for sports.

Poor low light performance

AF sucks

QC is terrible

Strobe systems are the worst in the industry.

Definitely switch.

If you don't, you'll become one of the group here who shoot Pentax and constantly complain about it while telling everyone how much better Canon and Nikon are.

06-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #24

I don't think I'd change the camera right away .... would go for probably some Sigma lenses first (maybe secondhand and cheaper to try out and see how they go).
Have notice over time there is a difference in the speed various lenses operate at, and lets face it things wear out too. Sometimes a reco' is just not comparable with a new (lens that is).
06-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd look into it. My feeling is that you will find that cost wise, to get a body that auto focuses faster than the K7/Kx and lenses to match what you have, that you are going to have considerable expense. At the same time, your kids are only young once and you want to remember the things they do, maybe it is worth the expense of a D90/D700 and lenses.

On the other side, I do think that Pentax will address some auto focus issues with a release this fall. Of course, that won't fix SDM durability issues, so if that continues to worry you, probably better to bail.

I will say that I have a lot easier time taking a K7 with, the DA 40 or DA 70 to a family gathering than I would a D700 with one of Nikon's amazing (but huge) zooms.
06-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #26
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sarcasm aside, mokey, you don't need to be reminded or convinced to stick with Pentax out of loyalty or for whatever reason. If you ain't happy, switch. Getting the equivalent of your Pentax kit on a Canon or Nikon platform will be quite an investment, I'm sure you're aware.
06-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #27

Original Poster
I figure if I go slow with my LBA, and just get the basics, a switch wouldn't cost me too much. Or maybe I'll wait a bit to see if the AF system improves....but it still doesn't make me feel better about $2200 worth of lenses breaking during warranty- which is the main reason I'm worried about the Pentax name....but a Nikon will cost a fortune to repair....but but but.... Ah, who knows?
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

and switch to Nikon???
I was never a fan of persuasion when it comes to product and branding. The issue is quite simple. You research what you need and decide the best match based on the information. If you go around asking people to persuade you, then how on earth can you ever expect to achieve satisfaction?

Pentax and sports photography is not a good match imo. I think a Nikon with better AF is far better suited to the task.
06-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

please, move on to another brand so that one less person will subject me to these stupid "That's it I've had it" posts...jeez.

14 posts, if it smells like a troll...
06-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Agree with Wheatfield. If u are into sports photography, nikon or canon would most prolly be the best system for you.

Even if Pentax can come out with a high FPS model in future, we lack fast zoom lenses from Pentax. Canon and Nikon both have much more fast zoom lenses for you to choose (they may not come cheap but that is the price u pay for when u go sports).