Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #46
Veteran Member

You love the forums pentax users frequents!

06-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mokey should get a Yugo, period.
06-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
Are you implying that your post makes no sense?
Forgot the "you" in there, but that's just because I was laughing to hard
06-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Sorry, after getting Canon system and a few L zooms the only reason to stay with Pentax that I can think of is the size of the camera. I do keep K100D as a small camera/backup though.

Last edited by awo425; 06-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
06-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #50

Why not?

We only live once and some not for very long, so why waste it. If you have the cash - do it!

I have tried it a couple of times and regretted it - even though I switched to much better cameras (well on paper anyway) like 5D and D700.

You can always switch back, but be aware - there is a lot of truth to the "grass is always greener" cliche... and to make matters worse: you cannot judge something like photography (or other creative hobbies) by specifications on equipment. Pentax (handling, lenses, bodies etc.) are special - Canon comes nowhere near. Next best thing would be Nikon, but I still prefer Pentax... go figure..

Above is just my personal experience... if I were you I would stick with Pentax. You are talking about a prime and a fast tele lens? Well the FA31 and the DA* 50-135 fits very well and are top quality...
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Sorry, after getting Canon system and a few L zooms the only reason to stay with Pentax that I can think of is the size of the camera. I do keep K100D as a small camera/backup though.
Is it clarity of the speed of the focus? both? something else? At one time I had a Canon 50D that I liked but there is something about using old lenses that intrigues me. I just don't know enough about photography to know what I'm missing in any brand. I understand weather sealing and whatnot but if you shoot raw and do your own PP, I still haven't figured out what it matters. Maybe IS in the body is better than in the lens for the money?
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
and the DA* 50-135 fits very well and ...
It might be if it wasn't the lens she was now worried about going bad.

Thank you
Russell

06-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
It might be if it wasn't the lens she was now worried about going bad.

Thank you
Russell
Yeah... but how many samples out there of the DA* 50-135 works fine for many years? I reallize that there are problems with some SDM lenses... it still wouldn't make me switch...as I said: try it.
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
"really tired of reading this sort of crap post" Really, really, really? A Yugo driver with great skill would beat a Formula One car driven by an beginner.

This is absolutley and postively true, as long as it's a course with some right turns in it and a yugo lasts a lap (if there was such a mythical beast). A novice most likely could not get an F1 car off the starting line without stalling, then drive fast enough to keep the tires hot or take advantage of the aerodynamics. An F1 driver in a yugo will beat a novice in a modern F1 car.

P.S: Oh! sorry for the hijack.

@OP, Nikon will make it easier, but it is hardly full prrof. If you have the $ and don't mind the size of the equipment, why not? go for it!
06-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
Yeah... but how many samples out there of the DA* 50-135 works fine for many years? I reallize that there are problems with some SDM lenses... it still wouldn't make me switch...as I said: try it.
Does it matter how many are out there when the OP has issues with both the SDM lenses she owns? It isn't an abstract exercise for her, it's money out of pocket. As to whether that does or doesn't make you switch; I don't think really matters much to the OP either.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-22-2010 at 03:38 PM.
06-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you decide to go long lenses with Canon, you can buy these nifty $500-dollar lens hoods.

Amazon.com: Canon EF-138 Lens Hood for EF 500mm f/4L IS USM Lens: Camera &…

Amazon.com: Canon ET-155 Lens Hood for EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens: Camera & Photo
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #57

Original Poster
Boy, some of you are snarky little creatures.... FYI , I'm a very good photographer and take some amazing hockey shots, and do not blame the equipment for the the not so amazing ones. But... the slow focus tracking does make it difficult to follow some kids. AND, the reason I am considering switching is because both my good lenses have crapped out. I question Pentax reliability on it's new stuff. Love the old stuff. Thanks to the people out there who have offered good advice. I will look into some possible Sigma lenses, and maybe try out a K7 or the next one...And maybe hope that my lenses won't cost me any more money.
06-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #58
Veteran Member

For what it's worth I "switched" from a K-x with DA* glass (16-50, 50-135) to a Canon 5d Mk II and L lenses (24-70 and 80-200).

My biggest complaint was Pentax's lackluster autofocus, like yours.

Let's just say I'm shooting a K-7 now with my previous DA* glass and am not having any issues at all (Shooting events and college-level hockey, soccer, and football).

Granted I've been lucky that none of my glass has had SDM failures, but as hard as I tried I couldn't feel comfortable shooting the Canon system. Just somethin' about the Pentax (And I missed my primes).
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #59

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
For what it's worth I "switched" from a K-x with DA* glass (16-50, 50-135) to a Canon 5d Mk II and L lenses (24-70 and 80-200).

My biggest complaint was Pentax's lackluster autofocus, like yours.

Let's just say I'm shooting a K-7 now with my previous DA* glass and am not having any issues at all (Shooting events and college-level hockey, soccer, and football).

Granted I've been lucky that none of my glass has had SDM failures, but as hard as I tried I couldn't feel comfortable shooting the Canon system. Just somethin' about the Pentax (And I missed my primes).
Good to know. Nice to hear from someone who's gone astray and come back
06-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You may find that the competition is not without problems, however I know people who shoot both Nikon and Canon, and at the one step above Pentax stage, they are definitely better tools.
And personally, I think a craftsman has every right to blame his tools for not being good enough, especially when they break under normal use and are all over the map WRT build quality, which are the problems with Pentax at the moment.
Pentax design and QC has definitely taken a quality hit, the SDM AF is a step backwards in every respect, and the problems with the AF motors kakking is undeniably real.

If you are primarily interested in sports shooting, Canon's AF system is light years ahead of Pentax, as is Nikon's, but, as I said earlier, you will be paying more money for their upper end bodies to get it.
What you will get in return is equipment that just works, without the drama.
This is exactly what I think as well after my experiences. I can't add anything so all I can say is: "ditto!"