Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
To all those aspiring Nikonians... What ya gonna do when there are great shots to be had but it's pouring rain or your in a situation where getting wet is inevitable? Kind of sucks to be limited with only a fair weather camera, no?
They make camera condoms for $5.00.

06-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That funny.
06-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
They make camera condoms for $5.00.
$5 for any condom is funny.
06-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
To all those aspiring Nikonians... What ya gonna do when there are great shots to be had but it's pouring rain or your in a situation where getting wet is inevitable? Kind of sucks to be limited with only a fair weather camera, no?
I'd do what I've always done, and go outside and take pictures.
Nikons are not "fair weather cameras", or at least their upper end ones aren't.

06-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #80
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
Sounds like your love has been tested by SDM issues. But then as I read on, the truth is you've never been happily in love with Pentax. The answer to your question is obvious.

Question... How did they do it in the good old days; before there was such a thing as even slow auto focus? Did sports photography only come about with fast autofocus?
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #81
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nikons are not "fair weather cameras", or at least their upper end ones aren't.
You didn't hear about the D3 that got a just a little wet and stopped working?
06-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Question... How did they do it in the good old days; before there was such a thing as even slow auto focus? Did sports photography only come about with fast autofocus?
Bingo! We have a winner!
06-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #83

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Bingo! We have a winner!
Touché

06-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #84
Veteran Member

This.

I will say they got it done somehow! I wanted to just add a little thing, since coming to Pentax I had never done much manual focusing or anything like that. Picking up all the old glass that I have brought me to a new world. One thing that I really liked, was how much more rewarding it was to capture sports going full manual.

Sure its time consuming to some people, and maybe just flat out inconvenience... but I have started to find it very rewarding to put more work into photography and get my results.

Either way Mokey... I came from Canon. That old saying about grass and such. I used to have a 50D with a 17-40L f/4 and 70-200L f/4 (wonderful glass BTW). Yes, my K-7 is just a smidge slower at AF... but I think it performs quite well compared to my old kit. However I have not one day since I picked up my K-7 regretted my decision... especially the old glass and manual world I got introduced to.

Mokey, if you aren't happy just switch. Honestly... there is nothing wrong with it. Do what makes you happy. If and when you get your new kit... make sure they have a good return policy (you know, so you have ample time to take the kit out and run it a bit).
06-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #85
Site Supporter

Hope you are still with Pentax after all the advise
06-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sataraid1 Quote
As a person who ended up with a Pentax camera unexpectedly, I've been struggling with the best way to proceed (invest or trade) for weeks now.

I had thought this thread might provide some good insights, but the sarcasm is just off the scale. I had expected better from this place.
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Ditto.... I just wanted a bit of input and idea's of key things to think about....it seems some of the people here are just out to be snarky and condescending
You may just not be Pentax people.
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #87
Veteran Member

No matter how much money you spend It Isn't going to make you a better photographer, trust me I know. Just learn your camera better and get some different glass.
I do agree with you on the SDM lenses I sold all my Pentax glass and bought Sigma except for my Tamron 17-50 f2.8. The Sigma glass locks on faster than the SDM glass. My last piece of glass will be the Sigma 50-150 and that will complete my range from 10mm to 300mm.
06-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #88
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
If and when you get your new kit... make sure they have a good return policy (you know, so you have ample time to take the kit out and run it a bit).
NEVER buy anything without a good return policy.
06-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #89

Original Poster
My plans- hope Pentax Canada is kind, try out some non SDM lenses, try out K7, and if all that fails and I'm still not happy...I will go on my way
Thx everyone, and lets close this one!
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #90

New Lenses

If you need new lenses and your camera is worn out then perhaps time to think about canon or nikon. Canon, nikon, pentax... they are all good.

There is also a learning curve for a new system (new menus and such).

You may find more options with canon and nikon as they are larger brands.

Of course you will not have image stabalization built into your camera if you leave pentax for those brands.

I use older pentax, zeiss, olympus, nikon, schneider and fujinon manual focus lenses and pentax bellows. The pentax equipment I have is very well built. I own a spotmatic and spotmatic ii and these cameras are a joy to use. But they are 40 years old.

I put all of the lenses mentioned above on an inexpensive canon xsi that I picked up used. Whether right or wrong, I buy lenses that I feel will last and expect that the camera will be either obsolete or worn out with time.

Last edited by stover98074; 06-23-2010 at 10:47 PM.