Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #91
Nubi

Maybe when your kids get burned out on sports, you can come back Pentax . . . . .

06-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #92
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Yea everyone says canon and nikon rule sports. But i regulary get better shots than them. I have a K-7 and a Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG with matching 1.4 and 2.0 tc.s. Let me tell you this. I perfer the screw focus. I am in the jungle most of the time. No problems. When you get into professional glass. It is your fault if you do not get the shot. I have never tried the fancy focus drives and no problems.
That is my take.
06-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote

Question... How did they do it in the good old days; before there was such a thing as even slow auto focus? Did sports photography only come about with fast autofocus?
Autofocus has changed the paradigm for what is possible (and acceptable) for sports shooting.
This is why no one wanders around sports events with Speed Graphics any more, even though at one time they were the state of the art for sports photographers.
06-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
You didn't hear about the D3 that got a just a little wet and stopped working?
Did you here about the 60-250 that got put on a K7 and stopped working?
How about the 16-50?
Or the 50-135?
The world is full of stories about equipment that stopped working, we get more of them here than anywhere else.
I have insurance for when cameras stop working.

06-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Touché
Touche perhaps
Correct, I don't think so.
06-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Really I don't get the denials around Pentax's slow SAFOX system and lens AF technology...

The canikons are just better because they've invested since 20 years in improving BOTH the in-camera and in-lens technology. That's it, folks!

Pentax has other strong points and I love my K bodies and Limiteds.

And getting good shots with a Pentax from the side of a football stadium, yes, it is possible, just the Canikon shooter with the same level of skill will get more keepers/time ) that means less PP work, more shots to choose from hence possible money shots to be sold.
06-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #97
Forum Member

Well I'm pretty sure each and every brand that come across your mind is always better and that perhaps you're finding for an excuse to change system. The way you phrased your thread has already give the idea of changing system, but are just waiting for persuasive post to retain you from changing system.

I'm here to clarify that photography is all about art and not about gears. If you think your gears are limiting your ability and capability to freeze an action, then perhaps it's time for you to change your system - if the new system solves the problem. It's that easy, seriously. Or if you have the moolah, keep both brands and then decide which is the best!

You'll lost out on much capable images if you're confusing yourself with which gear to go with. Always concentrate on your subject. You'll blame Pentax if you missed an image, but here's the thing, there is no guarantee that the new system will freeze any image you wish to capture. No a single system is perfect, it's just that people learn the weakness of it and live with it.

I have a K200D and I'm very happy with it. It has serve me well and I have come across to learn on it's limitations. Of course there are times when I could be happier with Nikon or Canon but as I picked up puzzles of photography, I learned that it's a baseless path to catch up with other brands and missed out on the subjects.

Is photography about gears or arts? Well, only you can answer.

06-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #98

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Netsoft Quote
Well I'm pretty sure each and every brand that come across your mind is always better and that perhaps you're finding for an excuse to change system. The way you phrased your thread has already give the idea of changing system, but are just waiting for persuasive post to retain you from changing system.

I'm here to clarify that photography is all about art and not about gears. If you think your gears are limiting your ability and capability to freeze an action, then perhaps it's time for you to change your system - if the new system solves the problem. It's that easy, seriously. Or if you have the moolah, keep both brands and then decide which is the best!

You'll lost out on much capable images if you're confusing yourself with which gear to go with. Always concentrate on your subject. You'll blame Pentax if you missed an image, but here's the thing, there is no guarantee that the new system will freeze any image you wish to capture. No a single system is perfect, it's just that people learn the weakness of it and live with it.

I have a K200D and I'm very happy with it. It has serve me well and I have come across to learn on it's limitations. Of course there are times when I could be happier with Nikon or Canon but as I picked up puzzles of photography, I learned that it's a baseless path to catch up with other brands and missed out on the subjects.

Is photography about gears or arts? Well, only you can answer.
I was in a bad place when I started this post...My 50-135 had just started to die, only a month after my 16-50 was fixed twice. I don't have a lot of extra moolah, but had invested in what I thought was a semi professional lens that I could expect to work for me for a good long time. I bought these little darlings a couple of years ago, before all the SDM issues had surfaced.
It is very easy to get caught up in the technical mumbo jumbo, and to forget that photography is really art. I thank you for that reminder. Granted, it would be easier to appreciate the art form, if my lens worked!
06-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Netsoft Quote
I'm here to clarify that photography is all about art and not about gears.
At the point and shoot price point, I would agree (though watch for incredible technical advances in the next few years).

For a regular DSLR user, they are expecting an improvement. The bigger improvement the better. The K-x was a huge leap, well done Pentax. It is a camera that brings down the cost of entry to amateurs wishing to be better photographers (like me).

For professionals, yes, the art is a factor, but the gear helps them get there. Shooting wildlife with a telephoto at F2.8 on FF is going to give markedly different results to APS-C at F5.6.

So yep, for the majority it's about making the best out of what they have, but imho, REAL photographic ART comes from professionals with the best equipment they can lug to the job. Often it involves the foresight, planning, patience and time that only a professional (or retiree!) can afford. Non-professionals, due to our sheer numbers and improving equipment will always produce a huge number of great shots too. Through this sheer volume, the amateur shots could often be better framed and more artistic, but in many situations, the pros with pro gear will demonstrate a very clear superiority.

But, as I alluded to earlier, playing fields will continue to become more even.

Processor advances will overcome CA, distortion, vignetting, DR, even DOF, in point and shoot cameras (sharpness and contrast may prove to be a bigger problem). I expect D700 with F4.0 lenses performance in a high-end zoom PnS within 5-7 years.

As I have said before, it won't come from great advances in lenses, it'll come from in-camera electronics. It's an interesting and very valuable battlefield, not least because of the camera makers' need to keep ahead of the phone makers (or in the case of Sony or Samsung, choosing to either avoid cannibalising sister products, or choosing to swamp everyone including themselves).

Cellphones will have Canon S90 ability within a shorter 3-5 years...

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 06-24-2010 at 07:39 AM.
06-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about cost?

It's funny how Pentax is frequently criticized for not being good as other products that cost two or three times more. Is a 7D better than the K-7? Sure, just like a BMW is better than a Honda.

What about setting a budget - say $2k - and see what kind of sport-oriented systems you can buy? I'd guess that with Canon/Nikon, you'll end up with nice bodies paired with kit glass or vice versa.
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

So yep, for the majority it's about making the best out of what they have, but imho, REAL photographic ART comes from professionals with the best equipment they can lug to the job. Often it involves the foresight, planning, patience and time that only a professional (or retiree!) can afford.
This is true. When I see a guy out shooting at ridiculous hours, contorting in weird shapes... setting camera's in weird places, getting dirty/wet/snowed on... and making things out of cardboard to come up with a shot... thats a real photographer.

QuoteQuote:
What about setting a budget - say $2k - and see what kind of sport-oriented systems you can buy? I'd guess that with Canon/Nikon, you'll end up with nice bodies paired with kit glass or vice versa.
Glad you brought that up. For a 2k budget you are talking a rebel with a good piece of glass. Now... I would rather have a Rebel with a nice L glass on it any day, as opposed to a 7D with a 18-55 kit. The way I see it if the switch is for good and they are going to stick to it for years to come or till they die, get the best body you can afford and collect the glass as money comes in. But, if you need instant results you're going to end up the Rebel route. Honestly... Rebel T2i/550D is a damn nice camera.

If Mokey wants a semi-pro body though... thats going to eat most of the budget. 50D is getting long in the tooth now... and the best step up is the 7D.... which I have only seen going for under 1600 as a refurb.

Last edited by kalison; 06-24-2010 at 09:42 AM.
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #102
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Autofocus has changed the paradigm for what is possible (and acceptable) for sports shooting.
This is why no one wanders around sports events with Speed Graphics any more, even though at one time they were the state of the art for sports photographers.
Yes, it has changed the paradigm. A lot of sports photogs and event photogs do a lot of spray and pray shooting and wade through about 1000 digital images to get a few users. Frankly, missed focus is missed focus regardless of whether its from an mf system or an af system.

I'll think the argument could be made that digital changed the paradigm for sports and event photog far more than AF did.
06-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #103
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Yeah, I like Henry's too. That's who put the "bug in my ear" about the idea of switching when he heard about my problems with the SDM. The guy I talked to used to have Pentax, but switched to Nikon because of reliability issues. I'll try to get my hands on a Sigma to test it out. The warranty sure does make it look good!
Henry's would love to sell you a Canon system. Just make sure you are comparing equivalent systems.
06-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #104
Inactive Account

Good to see that "People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do!" is alive and well.

Time to put someone on my ignore list!
06-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It's funny how Pentax is frequently criticized for not being good as other products that cost two or three times more.
Ever read this; Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan? Ever think to apply the principle to camera system?

Thank you
Russell