Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
This is the kind of overreaching statement that harms Pentax as a company, tells a half truth and does not provide enough information to make an informed choice. What sports? Shooting for Sports Illustrated getting thousands of dollars for a shot or your kid's soccer game?
Too many people think they're the same.

06-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #152
Veteran Member

This is the kind of overreaching statement that harms Pentax as a company, tells a half truth and does not provide enough information to make an informed choice. What sports? Shooting for Sports Illustrated getting thousands of dollars for a shot or your kid's soccer game? Much easier with which Canon? There is a huge range between models. Are you going to spend thousands of dollars to shoot family photographs. And last but not least, there is the photographers skill. This thread has shown that in the hands of a skilled user, Pentax takes great sports photographs. Of course, you can get a higher level camera for $5,000, but bang for the buck, Pentax beats the competition hands down. Our newsroom offers Canons and Nikons, but for ease of use and features I'll take my Kx every time.
Good point, tarsus. Pentax is undeniably behind Canon and Nikon with regards to sports shooting. But the OP is talking about photographing her kids in youth sports, something that a Pentax in the right hands is capable of. Glass issues aside, if the OP can get a suitable lens, the most cost-effective solution may be to take a lesson on sports shooting. Money better spent, IMO
06-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #153
Veteran Member

This is the kind of overreaching statement that harms Pentax as a company, tells a half truth and does not provide enough information to make an informed choice. What sports? Shooting for Sports Illustrated getting thousands of dollars for a shot or your kid's soccer game?
Any sports, especially indoor sports. And AF isn't the only weak link here. continuous shooting speed is also not good. Pentax DSLRs manage to shoot at declared frame rate with AF off. Turn it to AF-C and framerate will drop considerably.

Much easier with which Canon? There is a huge range between models.
Any Canon model.

Are you going to spend thousands of dollars to shoot family photographs.
With other companies at least you can spend your money if you want to With Pentax you simply have no choice.

And last but not least, there is the photographers skill. This thread has shown that in the hands of a skilled user, Pentax takes great sports photographs.
I was expecting answers like tis. Of course, with appropriate skills you can take sports pictures with manual focus. (btw, often this is the only technique when you can get in-focus picture with current Pentax DSLR). You can shoot sports with Pentax. However with Canikon it will require less skills and you'll get higher percentage of keepers. It's your choice, you either use all your skills and struggle for shot or simply press shutter release button ant let camera to do the job.
06-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #154
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Of course, with appropriate skills you can take sports pictures with manual focus. (btw, often this is the only technique when you can get in-focus picture with current Pentax DSLR).
that's where i disagree with you. i've used AF-c on my Kx to quite good results with both my sigma 50-150 HSM II and 55-300 (in good light).

AFC does work to a certain extent although not as good as the higer end canikons.

FPS slows down, but from a previous thread that i posted, this is the same "issue" with canikons, except that in some higher-end canikons, they have a release priority so the shutter will fire in-between AFC refocusing.

sorry, i don't agree that MF is the often only technique to get in-focus pictures w/ pentax dslrs.

06-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #155
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
. . .

Any Canon model.

. . . simply press shutter release button ant let camera to do the job.
Hysterical

Granted its only Monday, but that is the funniest thing of seen on PF all week.
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
:Hysterical:

Granted its only Monday, but that is the funniest thing of seen on PF all week.

I've owned Canon for several years... if you think its that easy you are in for some hurt.
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried out the new Canon T2i at a picnic yesterday. It took a minute to figure out how to set the ISO to auto, and I shot in A mode with the widest available aperture for the kit lens (3.2?). I only took a few shots and managed to get a real winner for the owner of the camera- she was so excited to see what her camera was capable of.

I like to try other cameras but it often leaves me wondering why it's so difficult for my K-x to just focus on the focus point I choose without jumping all around.

Maybe it's just the lenses that I'm using.

06-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #158

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Good point, tarsus. Pentax is undeniably behind Canon and Nikon with regards to sports shooting. But the OP is talking about photographing her kids in youth sports, something that a Pentax in the right hands is capable of. Glass issues aside, if the OP can get a suitable lens, the most cost-effective solution may be to take a lesson on sports shooting. Money better spent, IMO
FYI, IMO, whether I'm taking shots of my kids, or professional hockey players, I still expect to get the best shot possible, and preferably with a lens that works and isn't broken. And as you've never seen my photo's, making the assumption that I need to take lessons, is not warranted. Of course I can learn more about sport photography, but I am pretty sure that with better AF tracking, I could do a better job. IMO
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
FYI, IMO, whether I'm taking shots of my kids, or professional hockey players, I still expect to get the best shot possible, and preferably with a lens that works and isn't broken. And as you've never seen my photo's, making the assumption that I need to take lessons, is not warranted. Of course I can learn more about sport photography, but I am pretty sure that with better AF tracking, I could do a better job. IMO
Maybe, but I've seen plenty of Pentax BIF photos and plane racing and auto racing, and I can tell you, it's not the tracking that's the issue. It must be the lower-light AF. To get better AF in more situations, you need some serious $$$,as in Nikon D300 or D700, because the mid-price Canikons are no better than the K-7 (and only the D5000 can keep up with the K-x in high-ISO).
06-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #160

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Maybe, but I've seen plenty of Pentax BIF photos and plane racing and auto racing, and I can tell you, it's not the tracking that's the issue. It must be the lower-light AF. To get better AF in more situations, you need some serious $$$,as in Nikon D300 or D700, because the mid-price Canikons are no better than the K-7 (and only the D5000 can keep up with the K-x in high-ISO).
I don't have a problem with AF tracking outdoors. The hockey arena's are another story. I find it hard to get those beautifully crisp shots in there. And I do realize that I get what I pay for. If only money weren't an issue! And when I do spend the money, it would be nice if the lens wouldn't crap out 6 months out of warranty.
06-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Fair point, Mokey. I apologize if I made some generalized assumptions about your shooting skills. I did not mean to disparage your abilities.

You are obviously experiencing some QC issues. I can't comment on that. But I do have the same camera and same lenses as you, I'll agree 100% that the K20d's AF is slow, and frustratingly so. But, in the right hands, could it shoot an indoor hockey game? I'd daresay yes. Will it be as easy to get good shots as a 7D or D300? No. Will it be frustrating at times? For sure. Can you take pictures that you will be happy with? For sure.
06-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Canikons are no better than the K-7 (and only the D5000 can keep up with the K-x in high-ISO).
Sorry, but this is simply not even close to being true. In lower light (below EV6) , even the entry-level Canon Rebel has significantly faster AF than the k-7. See the pop-photo low light af tests that have shown this since the k10d to the k-7:

K-7: http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/Camera-Test-Pentax-K-7?page=0,1

Rebel T2i: http://www.popphoto.com/content/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i-gallery?pnid=66319

Below EV6, the K-7 takes the classic "SAFOX Dive." By EV3, the Rebel AF is twice as fast as the k-7. Yes, the Pentax flagship is significantly slower in AF than the entry-level cameras of other brands in lower light. There is no getting around that. Sadly, if you go back and check the older reviews, the K-7 does not test significantly faster in lower-light AF, than the k10d!

Also, do we need to show this again?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngUcQUchHEU[/YT]

Its all about the SAFOX.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 06-29-2010 at 01:19 AM.
06-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #163
Veteran Member

I repeat myself- how fanatic should one be to pretend that Pentax AF is on par with Canon?

It is simply that Pentax never invested seriously in this aspect, because they have never positioned their DSLRs for fast action shooting whilst for Canon is a "raison d'etre".

I am sad to see people who just cannot accept the truth in front of their eyes - I think it is called called denial )

Every brand has it's strenghts, and quite a lot of people shoot two systems exactly for that reason.
06-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #164
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote

Also, do we need to show this again?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngUcQUchHEU[/YT]
no, we don't. without knowing the conditions of the camera's, lenses and what they were pointed to, this video doesn't say squat.

Pentax's AF has its weakness in low light AF and tracking, but it can be made to work. a little skill, a little anticipation of the action and a fast lens.

in my experience, K7 and Kx are much better than the K20 or k10.

if i were the OP, i'd try to get the 50-135 fixed first. explain the situation to pentax or talk to your credit card for that extended warranty.

i certainly have had much success shooting indoor basketball w/ my km, kx and 50-150 sigma. i've also had success w/ a sigma 17-70, only fact is, sometimes 70 is a tad short and it's already at f4.5

if you can borrow or rent a kx, give it a try. just make sure you use a fast lens.
if you can rent a canikon, give it a shot, if it works better for you, well, you make that decision.

good luck.
06-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #165

A flawed test using different lenses for each camera and pitting cameras in very different price ranges (7D nearly twice as much) against each other.