Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #196
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
ray,

i still do mental gymnastics about switching systems, but i always end up with staying w/ Pentax. too much to switch, for too little benefit and also loosing other Pentax plusses.

i hope pentax will improve on their current bodies where they are "weaker" than the competition, hopefully by this photokina.

hopefully too, P-Noy will do good. btw, he's a Pentaxian too, no?

regards,

jordan
Thanks Jordan for the info. I'm a Pentax user since 1977 then switched to Sone then Nikon and got shocked by the cost of repair when something goes wrong.

I end up going back to Pentax due to:
1. Price is lower especially the lens that I need.
2. I can use my old K-1000 lens.
3. Pentax has a manufacturing plant in here in Cebu so I hope that parts and repair is cheaper and also I go there every quarter to visit our branch office.

I do hope that there is a vacation lens from Pentax (18-200) so that I don't have to buy 3rd party lenses.

I don't know if P-noy is a Pentax user but I've seen some official photos of his inauguration taken by a K-7 c/o a photo journalist posted in our local forum.

Regards,

Ray

07-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #197

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
You should also consider that you have more than one lens encountering the same problem. Coincidence? The odds are against you here. Perhaps take a look at your environment, usage habits, etc to see if there is something causing the problem rather than blaming the equipment. I'm not saying it's your fault, but make sure you take EVERYTHING into consideration before jumping. I would hate to see you go through the trouble of selling and buying up to a more expensive rig only to find out that the problem comes back to haunt you with your new gear.
I'd thought of that, but I keep all my equipment in proper bags, have never taken it out in the weather to test out the WR, keep all stuff squeaky clean, and generally treat my gear with kid gloves ..so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the SDM. And the fact that Pentax Canada is replacing the motor for parts only paid, on the second lens, suggests that they know somethings up.
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Key issue: They almost never shoot below 2.8. With human subjects 95% of shots are at f/4 to f/8. Below 2.8 is extremely rare for those whose living depends on sharpness and dead-on accurate focus.
That was essentially what I was posting on the thread about whether F2.8 was wide enough. I seldom take a shot open wider than F4 even indoors. The ease of focus at 2.8 is also a big plus and a smaller aperture adds a margin for error.
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #199

Original Poster
Good to know the info regarding low light and not using low apertures, and the comparison between brands. I've tried to do this with hockey, but it's difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions for badly lit arena's and fast moving hockey players? I'm usually shooting at 1600 and trying to keep shutter speed at around 1/250 with aperture around 3.2. I don't want to use flash. Any ideas?

FYI, I don't plan to switch systems anymore. From a lot of your comments, I've come to realize that no system is faultless. I'm going to try to find some middle "happy" ground with Pentax(and possibly k7), and hope the lenses don't crap out.

07-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remember that depth of field depends not just on aperture, but also on focal length and distance to what you are shooting. If you are far enough back, you may be able to get away with f2.8; however in doors shooting it isn't desirable. I would go up to iso 3200 if necessary and just invest in decent noise reduction software. Consensus seems to be that LR 3 and Topaz are the best out there right now.
07-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #201
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
Thanks Jordan for the info. I'm a Pentax user since 1977 then switched to Sone then Nikon and got shocked by the cost of repair when something goes wrong.

I end up going back to Pentax due to:
1. Price is lower especially the lens that I need.
2. I can use my old K-1000 lens.
3. Pentax has a manufacturing plant in here in Cebu so I hope that parts and repair is cheaper and also I go there every quarter to visit our branch office.

I do hope that there is a vacation lens from Pentax (18-200) so that I don't have to buy 3rd party lenses.

I don't know if P-noy is a Pentax user but I've seen some official photos of his inauguration taken by a K-7 c/o a photo journalist posted in our local forum.

Regards,

Ray
ray,

i doubt if you can get any parts from the pentax plant in mactan, cebu.
they don't even sell locally, so i've heard.

i have the tammy 18-250 for my walk-around and my wife has the pentax version.
pentax has discontinued it, maybe something new in the pipeline

we'll find out at photokina.

have fun

regards,

jordan
07-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #202
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
ray,

i doubt if you can get any parts from the pentax plant in mactan, cebu.
they don't even sell locally, so i've heard.

i have the tammy 18-250 for my walk-around and my wife has the pentax version.
pentax has discontinued it, maybe something new in the pipeline

we'll find out at photokina.

have fun

regards,

jordan
Thanks for the info Jordan. How is the image quality of your Tamron?

Is it a Pentax mount or for other brands and you used an adapter or converter?

I read the review of the 18-200, 18-250, and 18-270. It said that yours is the best among the 3 but I still want actual experience from you.

Can you post a comparison between your Tamron and that of your wife's Pentax?

Thanks,

Ray

@ Mokey I will do some test shots Saturday night. If you have email I can send it to you with comments.

I'm a bit crazy shooting at night with just the street lamps or moon light at high ISO from 1600 to 12800 with my K-x. I am happy with it as compared to my D-80 before I broke it beyond repair.

I do not know about the K-7 at high ISO. You can compare all brands and models here at Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page and look at high ISO shots and the noise level.

Maybe it will help you decide if K-7 or K-x based on your requirement or maybe wait for the next version of Pentax as it might be even better than both cameras.

07-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #203
Pentaxian

I read the review of the 18-200, 18-250, and 18-270. It said that yours is the best among the 3 but I still want actual experience from you.

FWIW - back in my Sony days I had Tamron's 18-250 and liked it a lot. I then picked up a Sigma 18-200 (Quantaray) at a Ritz fire sale. After sufficient testing I sold the 18-250, for several reasons:
  • IQ was pretty much a draw, both sharpness & bokeh
  • smaller & lighter beat out 200-250mm for me
  • the 18-200 stayed f/5.6 out to 180mm, nice!
  • and let's face it: the resale value of the 18-250 was a lot higher..
That was one copy vs. one copy, so others would reach different conclusions. The 18-200 was available for under $150, so the Tamron sale paid for that and most of my 17-70 Sigma! I felt the 18-200 was a tiny bit faster to focus, with a tiny bit better bokeh. Both lenses were pretty poor around 100mm, curiously enough. The Sigma showed much greater FL reduction at close focus compared to the Tamron, at 200mm it looked more like 170mm with other lenses, including the 18-250. If you don't know what I'm talking about go here.

As to why stay with Pentax? For me, because it isn't sony . I wanted sensor-based stabilization, flexibility, durability and great images. Sony chose to shoot at other targets rather than replace their A700, so here I am. I dumped about six nice lenses (2 to go) so I was somewhat invested in Minolta and Sony stuff, but their actions did not reassure me that they cared what I did. Pentax has shown me enough that I am most happy with my K-7. I wanted a camera this size, and aps-c design is more than enough for what I need.
07-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #204
Inactive Account

Thanks,

Ray
both are in k mount.

i found both w/ about the same IQ.
for a walk-around, so far this is the best.
it performs very well from about 23-150mm (for a super zoom)

cons:
1. zoom creep
2. slow - in low light, AF can be difficult
3. 250mm is only 250 at infinity, if you shoot up-close, 250 is more like 150. that's just the design of the lens
4. 18mm has quite a bit of distortion, but is usable
5. towards 250, it gets kinda soft but is usable.

i find my former sigma 17-70 was much sharper at the same range, but at 70 is where it stops.

i dont' have any worthwhile samples to show, mostly use it for family shots.

i'll try to post some when i get the chance.

regards,
jordan
07-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
Wow Mokey.... me thinks you are asking that particular question in the wrong place. With all due respect to this forum's members, you are mostly going to offend some, or get back biased opinions. Pentax owners tend to be oddly and fiercely loyal. :-P

Although I am often considered to be particularly critical about Pentax, I have to say that my complaints have never extended to build quality. So, even I am surprised with your misfortune.

I have used Pentax since high school and over the past 25 years I made a substantial investment in lenses; that is how I came to own a K20D. However, because of its incredibly sub-par low light/long exposure capabilities, I have purchased a Canon 5D.

Most should agree that Pentax cameras are not particularly well suited for both low light/long exposures and fast action sports (where fast auto focus is important). NOTE: Many forum members have posted some great sports action shots but the fact is, if fast auto focus is important to you, Pentax is not the best.

This is based on both my experience and unbiased opinion.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 07-02-2010 at 05:27 AM.
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #206

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Wow Mokey.... me thinks you are asking that particular question in the wrong place. With all due respect to this forum's members, you are mostly going to offend some, or get back biased opinions. Pentax owners tend to be oddly and fiercely loyal. :-P

Although I am often considered to be particularly critical about Pentax, I have to say that my complaints have never extended to build quality. So, even I am surprised with your misfortune.
My intention was not to offend anyone. I simply needed to be reminded of the good things Pentax offers, as opposed to some of their inadequacies. I too, have been a fiercely loyal Pentaxian-hence the only lenses that I've owned are Pentax- and in there lies the problem. 2 SDM lenses have broken down on me. Well over $2000 worth of lenses. It does make one question the build quality of their SDM products.
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #207
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
2 SDM lenses have broken down on me. Well over $2000 worth of lenses. It does make one question the build quality of their SDM products.
That would be enough for me to reconsider. Too bad Pentax only offers a 1 year warranty on these lenses. They should address the problem once and for all, or stop offering SDM altogether. Based on all the reported incidents I won't be buying an SDM lens no matter how good the optics.
07-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #208

K-7 Great menu PLUS Great Build Much Much Better than The olther Two and the rest. K-7 Best Build Great Menu...
07-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
That would be enough for me to reconsider. Too bad Pentax only offers a 1 year warranty on these lenses. They should address the problem once and for all, or stop offering SDM altogether. Based on all the reported incidents I won't be buying an SDM lens no matter how good the optics.
If there is anything that I find poor about Pentax a a brand it is the warranty. A short warranty is an indicator of poor quality in many consumer's eyes.

My current work project is about warranty insurance. There's some very interesting data about warranty and consumers. Warranties are now substituting for brand allegiance. People want a contract that backs them up. And various jurisdictions (especially in the US) now mandate that extended, 3rd party warranties be backed up by solvency-tested insurance companies.

Nikon's warranty is vey good and a major selling point of the brand.
07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #210
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If there is anything that I find poor about Pentax a a brand it is the warranty. A short warranty is an indicator of poor quality in many consumer's eyes.

Nikon's warranty is vey good and a major selling point of the brand.
That's my belief too. The warranty is an expression of confidence the manufacture has in the quality of their product. That's why I''m more inclined to buy Sigma lenses instead of Pentax lenses.

Here in Canada, Pentax bodies are guaranteed for two years, the same as Nikon. Had that not been the case, I would have bought a Nikon instead of Pentax.