Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 shutter problem... black frame

Hey all, just started experiencing a very strange problem - lately, typically within the first few frames of shooting after the camera has been off for some time, one of my shots will randomly turn out 100% black - all recorded pixel data is perfectly black, and this histogram shows no data captured at any other point.

Subsequent shots with identical camera settings yield properly exposed pictures, and comparison of the exif data between the good and bad images shows identical exif.

My gut feeling is that this is a shutter problem - anyone have any insight into this or advice?

Thanks in advance...!

Edit: I should add that I haven't had the chance to do an extended shoot to determine if this happens mid-shooting, or if it only occurs when the camera is 'cold', but thus far it seems to happen within the first 2-3 frames when the camera is powered on after being idle.

06-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Timichango Quote
Hey all, just started experiencing a very strange problem - lately, typically within the first few frames of shooting after the camera has been off for some time, one of my shots will randomly turn out 100% black - all recorded pixel data is perfectly black, and this histogram shows no data captured at any other point.

Subsequent shots with identical camera settings yield properly exposed pictures, and comparison of the exif data between the good and bad images shows identical exif.

My gut feeling is that this is a shutter problem - anyone have any insight into this or advice?

Thanks in advance...!

Edit: I should add that I haven't had the chance to do an extended shoot to determine if this happens mid-shooting, or if it only occurs when the camera is 'cold', but thus far it seems to happen within the first 2-3 frames when the camera is powered on after being idle.
Does the aperture look okay? Could be stuck closed down all the way.
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My now sold DS had the same issue because the shutter & mirror were out of sync (I could hear the sound was different). For some unknown reason, it never happened again after I had it run through the "release aging" in the debug mode. It simple fired the shutter for a hundred time by itself.

Last edited by wlachan; 06-21-2010 at 05:06 PM.
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

I have this problem with my 5 year old DS, my guess is that the shutter blades are sticking together (closed) and causing underexposure when they sit for a long period of time. Do you get less underexposure at slower shutter speeds than faster ones? That could also point to the shutter.