Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

With equal lens can the k-x look like the k-7?

I know the k-7 has more megapixels but not much. I wanted to know, all other things like composition, lighting, etc. being equal and using the same lens, can a K-x produce and image of the same quality as the K-7?

Thanks.

06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I know the k-7 has more megapixels but not much. I wanted to know, all other things like composition, lighting, etc. being equal and using the same lens, can a K-x produce and image of the same quality as the K-7?

Thanks.
No, but the photographer behind the camera probably could.
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say that "practically" yes. Especialy if shooting RAW and /or on higher ISO. The only thing that K-7 sensor has going for it is 2mpx more AFAIK. Now these count for the whole area of the sensor so it's only marginally bigger pic and unless not severly cropped or enlarged pic from K-x could look just as good IMO... but then, I've never tried it
06-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes it can, to the naked eye. If you do a 100% or larger crop or pixel peep than you can notice the K7's 2 more MP. I've done a side by side comparison and with the same settings on both cameras I got 2 idential pictures, as is, using an M 50mm 1.7.

06-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

both are cropped sensors so honestly i dont see why not. What the K7 has going for it are a better build, completely weather sealed, extra dials, magnesium body, internal prism, etc. As far as picture quality, the Kx and K7 should be about equal. Its just more difficult with the Kx because it has less dials and internal focusing points...... and the Kx feels like a toy in comparison.
06-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks.
I've noticed that I tend to like the K-7s photos better, but I've never quantified this difference and it may just be in my head -- I think it might have something to do with the K-7s great white balance. The difference is slight enough, however, that a K-x with a better lens will certainly outperform a K-7 with a lesser one. This is the case for pretty much all cameras -- the lens is still the most important when it comes to image quality.
06-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I've noticed that I tend to like the K-7s photos better, but I've never quantified this difference and it may just be in my head -- I think it might have something to do with the K-7s great white balance. The difference is slight enough, however, that a K-x with a better lens will certainly outperform a K-7 with a lesser one. This is the case for pretty much all cameras -- the lens is still the most important when it comes to image quality.
That's what I am thinking and trying to decide on a newer body or just start building a lens collection. I really don't know that I need all the weather sealing. But I have noticed the pics online looks much better on the k-7. I suspect its because it is being used by folks that have better lenses, are better photographers, and better at PP, while the k-x is used by more amateurs like me and just using the kit lens.

06-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That is certainly possible.
06-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

That's what I am thinking and trying to decide on a newer body or just start building a lens collection. I really don't know that I need all the weather sealing. But I have noticed the pics online looks much better on the k-7. I suspect its because it is being used by folks that have better lenses, are better photographers, and better at PP, while the k-x is used by more amateurs like me and just using the kit lens.
You might as well go for your lenses, since a replacement for the K7 is going to be coming soon anyway
06-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm sure there are great K-x pictures out there too, but sure, as a general tendency, you've hit the nail on the head. Any DSLR is capable of stunningly amazing images - it's going to come down to the photographer and to a lesser extent the lenses much more than the camera. Exactly as I tried to point out in a very similar thread you started few weeks ago. It was true then, it was true five years before that, it was true 50 years ago, and it will remain true five years from now. Not sure abut fifty years from now - maybe there will be advances in camera technology that will finally change the equation.
06-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
sorry if I asked before. I forget sometimes.
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

sorry if I asked before. I forget sometimes.
No problem. We all forget at times!