Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

What exactly does IS in the body do?

I know it means image stabilization but not sure what it is doing, especially in comparison to something like Canon or Nikon that do not have it except in some lenses.

06-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
In simple terms, the sensor slides side to side and up and down, the opposite direction your hands shake the camera to compensate for the movement.
06-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
rkt

As just said... compensates for camera shake to reduce chances of blurred pictures ...

Image stabilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canon and Nikon have built this technology into their lenses ... while Pentax (and Sony etc) add this to the camera itself (and not the lens) ... it is called SR, IS, OS, VR, VC etc depending on the manufacturer / brand ...

A major benefit of having this technology in the camera itself is that it is available for use with any lens you use, vs. having it only in certain lenses ...
06-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

To provide a little more detail...

The previous posters are correct that Pentax cameras compensate for shaky users by shifting the sensor to compensate.

Canon and Nikon anti-shake systems rely on moving elements in some of their lenses.

The advantage of the Pentax approach is that one has anti-shake regardless of the lens one is using, including screw-mount lenses left over from the days of the Spotmatic.

Some people think the lens-based anti-shake works a little better, but the data are not clear.

Rick

06-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RickW Quote

Some people think the lens-based anti-shake works a little better, but the data are not clear.

Rick
agreed. Its still dubious which is better. The in-camera gives you image stabilization for all lenses which is great, but has yet to be declared better then the rest. most camera reviews say that Pentax's SR really only gives you about one and a half to 2 stops in compensation, meaning that if 1/30th of a second is the slowest handheld shutter speed you can do with-out blur, then this system will let you shoot at 1/10th approximately. It all depends on the shooter

But I've heard that the sony system is much better and can give results up to the 3 stop to 4 stop range. They also say that in-lens IS systems like OS or VR are also capable of these high numbers, but its all depends. Its like saying that the new mustang gets 31 mpg, yeah if you go 20 miles per hour....

the SR from pentax is great though. I can get 1/8th shutters with an 80mm equivalent 35mm focal length without blur
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In camera IS is a great tool. It means any lens you own benefits. No need to spend money on new IS lenses.

Peter
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The earlier posts are all spot on. Canon and Nikon have no IS in the camera, and rely upon more expensive lenses with IS/OS.

Pentax, Olympus and Sony have in-camera IS on their dSLRs.

A relevant article is:
Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!

Using the Olympus E520, slrgear.com tested the image stabilisation of the camera versus the lens image stabilisation. The basic summary is:
"The bottom line on the Olympus E-520's IS system is that it turned in a superb performance, very much on par with the best lens-based IS systems we've looked at."

Hope that the comment will help...

Last edited by hcc; 06-22-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typos
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The earlier posts are all spot on. Canon and Nikon have no IS in the camera, and rely upon more expensive lenses with IS/OS.

Pentax, Olympus and Sony have in-camera IS on their dSLRs.
The debate goes on between in camera IS system or lens based IS system and which one is better. The answer depends on the person who represents which vendor. However, there is no denying fact that both Canon and Nikon started both IS system on film camera, which naturally can only be implemented on the lens. These two vendors will not do in camera IS system as it will hurt the sale of existing IS lens.

06-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Since everyone has already answered your question I'll just give a little tip. I have read on here that some people do not like the SR system either with a specific lens or the whole SR system all together because it can have an adverse effect on the image. I personally like it and have noticed, via side by side comparison, that it does help with your shaking hands, especially with long zooms. So you should run a test yourself and see if you like the results, you may find that you prefer to shoot with SR off.
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I sometimes have wobbly hands and the SR will compensate for that. I don't think it affects image quality at all.
06-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I downloaded this Pentax brochure for the K100D some time ago - I'm not sure if the brochures for the other Pentax dSLRs may have the same thing?

EDIT to ADD -

Found the current version of the pdf brochure at:

Pentax Shake Reduction Technology

applicable to all Pentax dSLR bodies with SR -

Last edited by UnknownVT; 06-22-2010 at 08:17 PM.
06-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One clear advantage Lens-based IS has is that it stabilises the actual scene that you see through the viewfinder.
Many times I've shot at 300mm, even 450mm with rather tired, shaky hands. The Pentax SR actually worked very well on the final image, but what I saw through the viewfinder at the time was all a blur.

Then again, Pentax in-body SR is really useful providing stabilisation for film-era lenses, as well as budget lenses.
06-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Pentax in-body SR is really useful providing stabilisation for film-era lenses, as well as budget lenses.
I would be careful with the above statement.

The in-camera IS allow you to use a wide range of lenses from cheap, budget lenses (true, but also) to very high-quality lenses (Carl Zeiss, Voigtlander) that are not equipped with IS.

I think that all the posts agree that:
* the choice of IS lenses is still relatively limited, and the in-camera IS gives a much, much wider range of lenses;
* further the IS lenses are more expensive than non-IS lenses, all other characteristics being equal.

Beyond, there is still some discussion about image quality (in-camera IS vs lens IS). Clearly IS is better than non-IS. And the IS location (camera or lens) seem to have little effect on IQ, but mght be a matter of personal preferences.

Last edited by hcc; 06-22-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typos
06-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It all depends on the shutter speed.....if taking the picture handheld at 1/30 or slower, will appreciate the SR but for high shutter speed no point really so depends what you want to do.