Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D locked up (for months)

Hi folks,
I found this forum while searching for articles on issues like mine, so yes, my first post is about an ongoing issue.

Bought the K10D about three years ago and we used it frequently for a few months before it acted up. While preparing to shoot a photo, lightly holding the shutter release to get it to auto focus (standard AF lens that came with the camera) the AF function started cycling back and forth, in and out til it stopped and the camera was locked up. The display on the back looks normal, and the camera is on, but nothing will work. It even changes modes according to the screen but touching the shutter release does nothing. Turning it off, removing the reinstalling the batteries, nothing. I called an authorized repair facility and sent it to them. They got it and it worked fine. Sent it back to me and it did work for a while. Then, at our family Christmas gathering, it locked up again. I was days from the warranty running out so I called the repair service and sent it on to them again. Same thing, it worked fine. They looked it over good, cleaned the contacts where the lens links up to the body and sent it back to me.

I haven't used it much since then, but sure enough, the last time I used it, it locked up again. I called Pentax and they said since it is out of warranty I'll have to pay for repairs! I asked if they could look up the warranty repairs on it to see that I've had problems since I got it and sent it in twice for service and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, but the person I spoke to said they didn't have any records on it and I'd have to pay for it to be fixed.

So, I've sat on it for a couple months. Checked it the other day and it is still locked up. So, I found this site and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I have never done any firmware update to it. (didn't know there were any til reading about them here.)

It's really frustrating, spending that much on a nice camera and not being able to trust it. I've owned other Pentax 35mm equipment all my life, part of why I bought this camera, have several lenses that I can use on it etc.
Next month we go on vacation to Colorado and it would be nice to have it working for that trip!

06-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With your camera working off-and-on again it could be a loose wire near the shutter button. Have you tried pressing the AF button with the camera turned on to see if it will focus? If it does, my guess is it's a loose wire. You can also try a remote to see if it will fire the shutter...
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

but the person I spoke to said they didn't have any records on it

Oh yes.......

I'd be very suspicious of any company that failed to keep such basic records.

It sounds as though they're fobbing you off, get back onto them and demand that they look for records, and if you have any documentation use that to ensure they 'look in the right place'
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

but the person I spoke to said they didn't have any records on it

Oh yes.......

I'd be very suspicious of any company that failed to keep such basic records.

It sounds as though they're fobbing you off, get back onto them and demand that they look for records, and if you have any documentation use that to ensure they 'look in the right place'

And trying a remote of some kind is a good idea.

06-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it work when you use MF instead of AF? The shutter release will not work if you are in the AF mode and AF confirmation "green hexagon" is not obtained. If MF works, then try a different lens and see if the problem is on the lens contact.
06-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. I'll be more specific. I have tried everything I can think of, from switching to MF on the camera, changing lenses to manual lenses, back to AF lens, different SD cards, battery out and back in etc. Nothing will unlock it when it gets to this state.
I've held the shutter release in slightly (AF focus) and nothing. I can go through all the menus and check settings like there's nothing wrong, but I can't get it to focus or in MF, can't get it to fire off a shot. If I remember, it even still recognizes my 70-201 MF lens when I put it on, but the shutter still won't function.

And it's wild. I send it to San Antonio to a repair shop and it works by the time it arrives. I guess I could ship it to myself!
06-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

With the menu still operating when the shutter button doesn't, it makes me think it's still a loose wire. That's why I suggested trying the AF button, not the shutter release, but the AF button on the back of the camera. Put a AF lens on the camera and press that button, plug a remote in, or use Pentax's wireless remote to focus and operate the shutter. If the camera does something you know it's your shutter release button.
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Are you using the same battery for all your testing? If so, I would try another battery before anything else.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.
06-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried it with a grip attached? If the grip fires fine then you know it's something wrong with the shutter button on the camera itself.
06-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
Have you tried it with a grip attached? If the grip fires fine then you know it's something wrong with the shutter button on the camera itself.
That's a good idea and if you don't have a grip, try with via remote shutter port.

Thank you
Russell
06-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't have a grip, or a shutter remote. I'll put her to the test and report back. I only have one battery and will be getting another soon. Might buy a duracell to try. Only have the rechargeable. Maybe it is weak, but it's done this on and off since I bought it new. I haven't used the camera enough to even know about the AF button on back of camera. I've always used the shutter release to focus. I'll check it out.
More later...

By the way, thanks y'all for the quick and helpful responses!
06-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Last night I tried everything that was suggested. I did try the AF button on the back of the camera, with it in both AF modes with the AF lens on. Nothing. I pulled the battery and put it back in several times. I did fully charge the battery before trying all this. I will pick up a new battery tonight (non-rechargeable) to see if that makes any difference. I cleaned the contacts on both the lens and the camera, tried my 200mm manual zoom lens, tried with anti-shake turned off and on, did a reset to default settings, went through all the modes and tried it, made sure the knobs were in a detent position, pulled out the SD card, camera said no card, locked the card, camera said card locked, unlocked it and put it back in. Card is a 2mb scandisk I believe. Are there any known cards that are troublesome with this camera?
You folks can probably understand that I'm not real familiar with this camera, having had it locked up more than not in the few years I've owned it. In fact, what is the little round button up in the top right of the back of the camera that has a key shaped icon next to it? Could I have locked the camera and don't know the unlock sequence?
I did hold the menu button and turn the camera on and it says I have version 1.0 of the firmware. I assumed so since I've never updated the firmware since I've had it. Should I update it to 1.31 ? Thanks again for all the suggestions!
06-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A couple things I forgot to mention. Last night I realized that when the lens is off and I turn on the camera, it defaults to the setting for the 200mm zoom lens, so I had earlier mentioned that it "recognized" the 200 mm lens, but since that lens is manual, it's just defaulting to that setting when either that lens or no lens is present.

Also, I tried the mirror up to clean the CCD and it worked fine, and when I turned off the camera the mirror went back to the down position like it should. It also will do the CCD shake and clean.

When the camera is turned on, looking through the viewfinder there is nothing lit up, ever. I don't recall if there is supposed to be any indicators in the viewfinder when the camera is turned on, but throughout all the modes, I never saw anything lit up in the viewfinder... Could it be that a ribbon cable is not quite plugged into its socket on one of the boards in the camera? It just sounds like something is disconnected electronically somewhere, in my experience with electronics. (I've been around electronics troubleshooting most of my adult life, never formally trained or educated in it, but learned a lot from those around me. I've been fairly successful repairing and replacing component parts over the years, when they are obviously bad)
06-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fergy Quote
I pulled the battery and put it back in several times.
If you are trying to reset the camera by pulling the battery, you will need to leave it out at least 24 hours. You will know you left it out long enough if you have to reset the date and time functions.

Tim
06-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
If you are trying to reset the camera by pulling the battery, you will need to leave it out at least 24 hours. You will know you left it out long enough if you have to reset the date and time functions.

Tim
Thanks for that info Tim. Makes sense. I'll try that.