Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax made the FA* 600mm f4 up until about a year ago. They were special order because they were not in high demand. They are very good lenses, but also some serious money.
I'm sure the optics were great, but I would assume AF would nowhere near match the Canon 600's etc. Not having read up on the FA* that is...

06-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I'm sure the optics were great, but I would assume AF would nowhere near match the Canon 600's etc. Not having read up on the FA* that is...
On dSLR it was probably better than you think. These FA lenses were actually pretty darn good AF lenses on the top film bodies. That is what is a bit of a shock about the af on the dSLR bodies. However, I still say that the canon sensors on the lower and middle grade bodies tend to be "flat" so its a trade off. Furthermore, I would expect a $2500-$5000 body beat out my K20d.

Edit: Marc L'Angille has a couple of the big glass FA* lenses has posted about them here before.

Edit: Edit: I'll go as far as to say that the FA* 600 can more than hold its own with the Can 600. Plus, I'm not too eager to spend $8k on a lens equipped with SDM until those boys in Tokyo corporate "man up" and resolve the issues with SDM.
06-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mousehill also has a FA 600 that he has posted some amazing photos on the DP Review forum. Of course, he also has the FA 200 macro...
06-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
.... The canon and nikon are eating my lunch with the qualiyt of the pics comong out of the camera. And dedicated lens that perform verrrrry well.
Hi Gary, You have pretty much have some of the best Pentax has up thru 300mm. To go beyond, the money gets very serious, and yes - for Pentax, you are on a hunt for the lenses which will also take time. I believe that scm paid abut $9.5K for his A1200mm manual focus, and these only become available once in a very long while.

I don't know if you are an advanced amateur or a professional. If you are a pro, obviously it is going to affect your income. You may want to make a C-N-P list, listing what you think you need and prices along with acquisition time for each make. Obviously, C and N long glass is more available than P, and if AF is necessary then P is unattainable other than through Sigma. However, if its a nice to have with only bragging rights, then its a question if you can afford it, as opposed to your income and putting bread on the table.

Only you know and are able to analyze your situation. Pencil and paper - make a spread sheet or table, think the problem through to come to the best solution for you. Facts not emotions will work best here. Folks here can only suggest some alternatives for you to consider.

hope that helps....

06-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
The canon and nikon are eating my lunch with the qualiyt of the pics comong out of the camera.
hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/105420-remind-me-w...ml#post1086882