Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
When i compare the focus screen from my MX with the original K7 screen, the K7 screen seems even to be darker than the MX screen.
Also the microprism size is a very little bit smaller than the K7 screen from focusscreen.com.
It is more complicated. The MX is full frame, and has more light in the viewfinder for this reason. And the area of the focussing aid, after cutting down the screen to the APS-C format of K10 and K7… is in proportion much bigger then you see it on your MX.

Other cuestions I forgot to comment:
  • There was no need for changing the shim of the screen. Focussing point seems to be perfect.
  • Spot metering is off, about 2 steps of overexposcion.

Cheers - Klaus

06-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Klaus Quote
It is more complicated. The MX is full frame, and has more light in the viewfinder for this reason. And the area of the focussing aid, after cutting down the screen to the APS-C format of K10 and K7… is in proportion much bigger then you see it on your MX.

Other cuestions I forgot to comment:
  • There was no need for changing the shim of the screen. Focussing point seems to be perfect.
  • Spot metering is off, about 2 steps of overexposcion.

Cheers - Klaus
I know, the focussing screen of the MX is almost twice the size of the K7.
But when i remove the screen from the MX and from the K7 and compare them by simply holding them both in front of a light, the K7 screen seems darker then the MX screen.
Also the size of the microprism/splitfocus circle of the MX is even smaller than the circle of the focussreen.com screen.
06-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #18

Hi

I found the mx-screen to be very dark in comparisn to the original K10 screen. I think you have to test it in camera; just looking at it against light may be very different from the conducted light in the camera.

Focusscreen are using screens from different full-frame cameras (they have the Canon EC-A too, but double the price in comparisn to the unmodified canon part). Size of the focussing aid vary; I think that the Canon EC-A is one of the smallest.

Cheers - Klaus

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
But when i remove the screen from the MX and from the K7 and compare them by simply holding them both in front of a light, the K7 screen seems darker then the MX screen.
Also the size of the microprism/splitfocus circle of the MX is even smaller than the circle of the focussreen.com screen.
06-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the only solution is to test it, destroing the Pentax MV in te process.

I first will use the MV screen, if it works out well, i might try the ME Super screen. What i have heard so far, is that the screen of the ME Super is better/brighter than the screen of the MV

/update

1 MV later, have removed the screen and cut it in the right size.
Cutting the screen is much more easy as i tought, just put some sticky tape on both side of the screen, draw the cut-lines, and cut the lines on both sides of the screen with a sharp knife.
Than you can easely break the edges of the screen. Using sandpaper on a flat surface is enough to get the screen at the right size.
After removing the sticky tape, just rinze the screen with clean tap water and dry it with some kitchen paper.

The microprism and split focus of the old MV screen is much better than the focusscreen.com version. The rest of the screen is the same brightnes, but has visable patterns. Could be that this is because the MV screen isn't very good.

Maybe i will try again some day with the ME Super screen.

Last edited by Sakura; 06-27-2010 at 06:50 AM.
07-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nikon F3 screens are a bad plan

I read somewhere else on the site about someone modifying an old Nikon F series focus screen. So I bought one, and can vouch that its not a good idea. Its got one side which has a strong curvature, and the whole thing is 5mm thick. I guess this may be a lens to alter the image in the viewfinder in combination with the screen, but don't want to ruin something which is out of production. I think hacking up a broken Pentax ME/MV/MG is a better plan.
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I've used the ME Super screens in both my DS and K200. It is definitely brighter in both cases.
They are easy to make. The important part is centering the split portion on the screen.
07-21-2010, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just carried an old ME-super to the grave, and in the proces gave it's focus sreen a bright future

I must say, it is very very much better than the focus screen i have bought at focusscreen.com.
The split prism is a bit larger and the microprism a bit smaller. The total circel of both is more or less the same size as the focusscreen.com version.
But the microprism of the ME-Super is superb, much finer in detail and therefore much better for manual focus.

Modifying the focus screen of the ME-Super is very easy, just put sticky tape on both sides, draw a square of 18 x 16.2mm, cut both sides of the screen with a very sharp knife and you can just break the edges of. Use some sandpaper on a flat surface to fine-adjust the size, and that's it.

Of course you will be missing the tab, so you have to be extra carefully when placing the focus screen inside you're camera. And because of the missing tab you could place the focus screen upside down.