Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
I do like the manual controls, top display and general "feel" of the K10 better ( I also have battery pack on it), but it can't even come close to the K-X's speed for rapid fire, and you said you will be taking lot's of soccer games etc. so you will really like that feature.
Depends how you shoot though, plenty of good photographers don't machine-gun.

Last edited by CWyatt; 07-06-2010 at 02:17 PM.
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
I am not convinced on going to K-7 after checking the comparisons and on what I have read on it's Samsung Sensor. K-7 could have been greater if it used the Sony Exmor K-x sensor. Compare the K-x and K-7 here Imaging Resource "Comparometer" Digital Camera Image Comparison Page so that you can decide if K-x or K-7
The Image Comparometer compares jpegs at factory settings. The K-x uses more aggressive noise reduction in default jpeg mode, therefore files look cleaner. The K-7 has a reputation for doing better in raw than jpeg, so I would not base a decision just on this comparator.

I hear a lot of people talking up the Sony sensor as god's gift to photography, but I have generally not been able to get image quality from my K-x to match my K20D at lower ISO settings (under 1600 ISO).
07-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Depends how you shoot, plenty of good photographers don't machine-gun.
Not counting myself as a good photographer, but definitely spray-n-pray is not my style. I use my cameras on Low-Speed Continuous Shooting. Normally I take one shot and lift my finger off the shutter. If I'm getting something I want more of, I keep pressing and take a few more shots. I may use high speed continuous once a year, and the K20's three fps is OK with me.
07-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Not counting myself as a good photographer, but definitely spray-n-pray is not my style. I use my cameras on Low-Speed Continuous Shooting. Normally I take one shot and lift my finger off the shutter. If I'm getting something I want more of, I keep pressing and take a few more shots. I may use high speed continuous once a year, and the K20's three fps is OK with me.
True enough - but I think the OP mentioned that pictures of fast moving soccer games would be common, in which case I think the faster FPS is definitely a plus. I'm talking from my own experience, having 3 kids come through soccer games I used to take on average 3 rolls (72 exposures) per game, once I got a DSLR that count went up, a LOT, and I noticed that I got more of those better action shots that I "just missed" with film, and as I went from *ist to K10 I got even better pictures to chose from.

I also shoot a lot of the Osprey's fishing in front of my house, again, I find that the more frames I can take from the moment before it hits the water to the time it emerges with a fish, the better my chances are for a spectacular shot. I find that the K10 wants to refocus between frames on continuous, whereas the KX does not. Setting the focus to manual helped speed things up a bit, but it seemed whenever I did that I would have a bird hit the water closer to me and I'd end up not getting anything because I could not focus fast enough.

07-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
True enough - but I think the OP mentioned that pictures of fast moving soccer games would be common, in which case I think the faster FPS is definitely a plus.

I also shoot a lot of the Osprey's fishing in front of my house, again
I guess my photography has just become too sedate.

I did shoot a soccer game last week (first time) and I'm pleased with the results EXCEPT that I never managed to catch the ball while it was bouncing off my niece's head. I guess I should have used Hi-speed continuous mode.
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess my photography has just become too sedate.

I did shoot a soccer game last week (first time) and I'm pleased with the results EXCEPT that I never managed to catch the ball while it was bouncing off my niece's head. I guess I should have used Hi-speed continuous mode.
A good number of my shots are one-at-a-time, but there are plenty of times that "spray & pray" gives me the best chance at a real spectacular shot, and the KX is way better at this than my K10. The K10 is supposed to get 3 fps as well, but I seldom get that kind of speed with it.
07-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I don't shoot many sporting events. I don't have a kid in school, and pro sports hardly allow DSLRs in the door any more.

However, I did get addicted to the K-x rapid fire shutter for a while. It turned out to be a huge waste of SDHC. Spray and pray usually means take one good shot that now takes up the space of 3 or more. For me, in only about 1 out of 50 shots is the first exposure not the one I keep. It is almost always my best composed, sharpest and best exposed. YMMV.