Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

*istD?

At the street price today, how much would a good condition (no problems whatsoever) *istD with the pentax battery grip cost?

06-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a ball-park guess, $170-250. The higher end would be with close scrutiny.
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd up the price to between US$200-$300, with maybe an extra $50 for the grip. It all depends on the condition and use that the camera has had.

Regards

Chris Stone
06-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Are people still interested in it?
I love it but I don't see the need for two DSLRs when i can only use one at a time

06-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would agree between 200--300 depending on condition and grip.

As to who would want one, I am considering adding a second, to go with my K10D as an M42 body.

I would want the *istD soley for TTL flash metering and use with the flash.

That would give me the K10D and an *istD for M42 moutns and my K7 and the second *istD for K mount lenses

They are great little cameras and are very capable also at high ISO, although I am not sure between the K7 and *istD, that is something I need to test.
06-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
I'd up the price to between US$200-$300, with maybe an extra $50 for the grip. It all depends on the condition and use that the camera has had.

Regards

Chris Stone

Actually, I use 2 dSLR bodies all the time. I have used 2 dSLR + a film SLR when covering events at work.
06-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

With respect to old cameras or multiple bodies is that your gear should be a system. The istD is useful because it can do things later bodies can't. In the same way, my PZ-1 is still part of the kit as well. Just because a body is not the latest does not mean it is useless
06-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
With respect to old cameras or multiple bodies is that your gear should be a system. The istD is useful because it can do things later bodies can't. In the same way, my PZ-1 is still part of the kit as well. Just because a body is not the latest does not mean it is useless
Sorry if I offended you in any way.

I did not mean *istD is obsolete because it is old.
In all honesty, I tend to reach for *istD more than my K-X.

I originally posted the question because whenever I switch back and forth between the two, my ergonomics become a bit jumbled, desiring functions that other one does not have.

I feel that both are great cameras (K-X proved it's wonderful high iso once again very recently) but I was having second thoughts.

Maybe I will be able to concentrate more on picture making if I stick to one camera?

06-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

No offence taken

I know how confusing it can be, try switching between k7, K10, istD and PZ-1

I use them all and the biggest problems I have are, lookin at the back of the PZ-1 waiting for the image to appear, and the change in position of the green button
06-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

The istD is useful because it can do things later bodies can't.
such as? I'm very interested
06-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
such as? I'm very interested
the biggest benefits for an *istD are with respect to legacy equipment.

The *istD supports TTL flash, not only with respect to being able to use older flashes on the DSLR, although the AF500FTZ is a great foash but TTL only not P-TTL, but the other benefit is that TTL flash, by measuring light reflected off the sensor directly, allows it to be used with non A lenses, and provide accurate flash metering. P-TTL uses a preflash, and calculates flash duration based upon ambient light and the intended aperture of the lens for the exposure, as a result, it must know the aperture of the lens wide open, therefore it only works with A lenses or later.

THe *istD can use the built in flash to control remote flashes even in high speed sync, It was discovered that this is perhaps the only body that can do so. the K10D and K7D certainly can't

The *istD is about the best metering body there is for manual lenses. This has been posted many times before

I have used the *istD extensively at ISO 1600 and 3200 and it always produces good results,the 6mp sensor was perhaps the best performer at high ISO for quite some time. Definitely better than the K10D not sure whether its better than my K7.

I use the *istD for wildlife with long non A lenses and flash, at it is a pleasure to use

note that I also still use my K10D even though I have gone to a K7 as the main body. I have put a split image in the K10 for manual focus lenses (this actually improved the metering but still not as good as the *istD)

it makes a great back up to the other bodies, and is the prime body for some things

Just to show what it can do, here is a shot with an SMC-Pentax 300F4 and 1.7x AF TC using a flash at 1/150th

06-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Inactive Account

oh wow, i never knew that- I have an ist DL
06-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the biggest problems I have are, lookin at the back of the PZ-1 waiting for the image to appear
I can totally see that happen. It probably happens more times than not for someone who's switched to digital, then goes back to play with some film.
06-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #14

As someone with an istD, it does have numerous advantages (some have already been mentioned):

1) TTL flash support with external and built-in flash and wireless control. You can put a K/M lens or M42 lens and you won't get the burnt-out overexposed photos you always hear about with any other Pentax DSLR + built in flash.

2) Direct button access to multiple WB presets. You can calibrate one for daylight, one for tungsten, and one for fluorescent, and never need to use a menu to set WB again.

3) Multiple-image overlay and hyper-program. Can get on mid-range Pentax DSLRs but not the cheaper ones, I think?

4) AA battery support. Now unavailable with mid-range unless you get the grip.

Of course you need to deal with a tiny LCD, slow writes (decent buffer though), and a somewhat less responsive interface. Generally it doesn't slow you down unless you're shooting RAWs which each take about 10 seconds to write from the buffer.
06-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great summary of the benefits of *istD!

I only shoot raw and the saving speed doesn't bother me unless I want instant review of the focus. I find that buffer can handle multiple images while saving.

Maybe I should play around more with older lenses and flash...Awesome example Lowell Goudge!