Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #1

Dropped my KX

Ok I'm sick to my stomach.

I moved something on my bench and the camera strap got snagged, down went the KX.
The 18 to 55 plastic lens broke apart, the back mounting ring came off and the pin contacts went flying. It's totaled.

The body has a small crack on the bottom, in the the corner behind the battery door but seems to be working. I don't think the crack will bother anything.

My question is: What should I do to make sure the body is work right? It seems to be taking pictures ok, I'm concerned with the auto focus? Can someone suggest some tests?

Any Thoughts?
Thanks, Jerry

06-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a bummer. Put another lens on it and shoot around at various settings. Check the results.
06-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPos Quote

I moved something on my bench and the camera strap got snagged, down went the KX.
The 18 to 55 plastic lens broke apart, the back mounting ring came off and the pin contacts went flying. It's totaled.

The body has a small crack on the bottom, in the the corner behind the battery door but seems to be working. I don't think the crack will bother anything.

My question is: What should I do to make sure the body is work right? It seems to be taking pictures ok, I'm concerned with the auto focus? Can someone suggest some tests?

Any Thoughts?
Thanks, Jerry
Bummer.
Anyway, the best "test" is to take pictures. It isn't hard to test AF, just point the camera at something and check to see if the picture is in focus at that spot.
Any camera problem will become fairly apparent fairly quickly.
06-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Any Thoughts?
Thanks, Jerry
That does stink. I'd examine the crack and see if there's any potential for it to grow. The very tip of the crack is what's known as a stress concentrator, and flexing of the body may have it grow over time.

In other situations, the way to prevent a crack from growing is to drill a small hole at the very tip. I'm not sure how practical this is in your situation. You may want to mark the tip of the crack with a piece of tape or marker and keep an eye on it. If it grows, maybe a glue or epoxy will stop it.

06-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for you input everyone.
The crack is small, but it might grow because of its position in back of the battery door.
I'll be watching it.
I had some time to do some shooting, and it seems to be working fine.

Since its the bottom cover that cracked, I wonder if I could buy the part from Pentax and replace it myself???

Any I'll post back here if anything happens.
Thanks again.
06-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd ask them. It can't cost that much just to replace a bottom plate. Thank goodness that's all it was. Losing a lens is tough, but that's a lot easier to replace than a whole DSLR. I'm sorry that happened to you. It's got to bite, having a brand new DSLR and nearly losing it so soon. But hey, at least it's still alive, right?

Thanks for you input everyone.
The crack is small, but it might grow because of its position in back of the battery door.
I'll be watching it.
I had some time to do some shooting, and it seems to be working fine.

Since its the bottom cover that cracked, I wonder if I could buy the part from Pentax and replace it myself???

Any I'll post back here if anything happens.
Thanks again.
06-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear the accident. But luckily the camera still works.

My friend just had his K7 bottom plate replaced by Pentax due to a drop like yours, cost about 70usd. I think the Kx bottom should cost less?
06-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #8

check your house insurance to see if it will cover it - and then send it in for a repair - as while it might be working now it might have losened some wires etc and it could stop working at any time - at the very least if your insurance might cover replacing the lens and a new base plate

06-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
Stormcloud, that's a good idea. I didn't think of the house insurance. Thanks.

I think either way I'm going to replace the bottom cover. My old MX and ME Super has lots of "use marks" but they had metal bodies. I don't think that the plastic will age as well.

I'm going to contact Pentax and see what it will cost.
I can live without the lens but I don't what any trouble from the body.

Thanks everyone.
06-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Jerry, you should count yourself extremely lucky. All you really lost out on is an easily replaceable $30 kit lens and a battery cover. It could have been much, much worse.
06-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hangu,
I know. the first thing I did was look inside the see if the sensor and mirror mechanisms were intact. I had visions of a tangle mass of sheet metal and springs!
I guess that says something about Pentax, even the loss cost all plastic body can take some abuse!