Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
I just breathe on it and then wipe it with an ear bud on my K-x. Cheap and it works. I don't have anything else where I am at the moment.
Yikes. No problems with saliva and ear wax?

My first experience with resistant gunk on a sensor filter years ago was the result of application of mouth to camera.

06-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Why would a sensor cleaning cost $170? .
To me, that is the real issue here. Yes, one could debate about whether one should ever send a camera off for cleaning, but if one does pay $170 for a cleaning, the camera should be spotless, with the mirror and all internal areas vacuumed thoroughly. For that money, they should throw in a 50 cent body cap with a seal across it "sanitized for your protection" like a hotel toilet.
06-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just breathe on it and then wipe it with an ear bud on my K-x. Cheap and it works. I don't have anything else where I am at the moment.
Worst. Advice. Ever.
06-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Worst. Advice. Ever.
As I read it again, I wonder if it was serious.

06-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As I read it again, I wonder if it was serious.
I am serious. I actually found the advice online on a blog from someone who has experimented with numerous clumsy cleaning techniques and found this method the easiest and the most cost effective. Of course I use a clean earbud and don't let it touch any surface before I use it on the sensor. I also don't spit on it, you just breathe lightly which forms vapour on the lens which discharges the static. It's the purest form of water. Of course I also check if there is anything hard on the sensor or the earbud that might scratch the surface.

It's not the best solution, but if you are in a place where you have nothing else, it works.
06-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I am serious. I actually found the advice online on a blog from someone who has experimented with numerous clumsy cleaning techniques and found this method the easiest and the most cost effective. Of course I use a clean earbud and don't let it touch any surface before I use it on the sensor. I also don't spit on it, you just breathe lightly which forms vapour on the lens which discharges the static. It's the purest form of water. Of course I also check if there is anything hard on the sensor or the earbud that might scratch the surface.

It's not the best solution, but if you are in a place where you have nothing else, it works.
Really? Purest form of water? When I become filthy rich, I'm going to drink water gathered from the breaths of a thousand blind babies.

So some idiot on the internet decided it was a good idea to experiment on cleaning a DSLR sensor using numerous clumsy techniques and now you're propagating his findings?
06-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #22

Really? Purest form of water? When I become filthy rich, I'm going to drink water gathered from the breaths of a thousand blind babies.

So some idiot on the internet decided it was a good idea to experiment on cleaning a DSLR sensor using numerous clumsy techniques and now you're propagating his findings?

Geez, you're a real ******* aren't you? Condensation is pure water by definition.

Instead of saying how stupid I am please tell me why it is so much worse than any other method, and why, especially if you're stuck in a place with no other tools to do it with. I've done it a few times now, there is no dust on my sensor and everything is still nice and sharp. Seems better than paying $170 and still having dust on the sensor.
06-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Geez, you're a real ******* aren't you? Condensation is pure water by definition.

Instead of saying how stupid I am please tell me why it is so much worse than any other method, and why, especially if you're stuck in a place with no other tools to do it with. I've done it a few times now, there is no dust on my sensor and everything is still nice and sharp. Seems better than paying $170 and still having dust on the sensor.
I get what you are saying about condensation, but saliva is not pure. The risk of saliva being launched in the process is significant, as is the difficulty in removing it. Years of cleaning my glasses that way has proven that to me. I can breathe on them and get a good result about four times out of five, but on that fifth time, I have to go to the lens solution. On a pair of glasses, that is not a big deal, but on a sensor it is.

06-29-2010, 05:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Do you seriously think your saliva is pure? Would you drink a dog's saliva?

If I were stuck in a place with no adequate tools to clean my sensor, I would suck it up and wait until the proper cleaning tools can be acquired. Cleaning your sensor with saliva and an ear bud ranks up there as one of the dumbest thing you can ever do to your camera sensor. There's the healing/clone brush in Photoshop and Lightroom for a reason.

I can't tell if this is just a stupid joke gone on too long or you're actually bloody serious.

--------

I just got a brilliant idea, I should start a bottling company selling bottled condensed breaths of beautiful women.
06-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Doing this on the mirror might be safe to do, doing it on the sensor is certainly going to scratch the surface regardless of what you do. Ear swabs/buds might look and feel soft, but they're in fact quite abrasive to the sensor components. You might not see it, but you're probably creating micro-scratches. I'm no lighting expert, however I would worry about how this would affect the light striking the sensor.

I understand when you're out there in the middle of nowhere you do with what you have, however if you can carry a bunch of ear swabs you might as well carry a bulb to blow dust out of the sensor.
06-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #26

I use cotton buds too...
Push them down on the tip with something flat first so the point is gone and you have a nice little flat area.
Now mist (Moisten, not wet ) the swab with window strength Windex, move it long ways across the sensor in a zig zag format using a very light pressure till it's clean. (Cannot emphasie this enough, do not get it wet as you do not want fluid leaking out of the bud when it contacts the sensor, like most other cleaners)
Any streaks just lightly wipe with the dry end that you have flattened the tip on.

Works better for me than anything I have tried, less streaking, cheap and effective.

Can use medical grade buds as they don't go fluffy either.

I've spoken to someone in the industry who uses a concoction of windex and isoproyl alcohol to do the job on real dirty ones.

Cannot see any marks on the sensor at all and my pics are fine.

It's horses for courses, works for me, but does not mean it's right for you
06-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I think his point is that condensation in one's breath would be pure, by definition. It is distilled water. However, the problem is that droplets of saliva might be propelled on the breath as well if one does not do this perfectly. As you point out, saliva is not even close to pure.
06-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #28
Forum Member

You guys sound like these people in Russia that got locked up in a container mission to Mars.

@auspentax
What happened to your sensor? Did a bird shit into your camera or why do you use windex to clean it?

Yeah if you are the guy who uses his camera in Afghanistan, may consider the dust
spots, the scratches from the ear tips, or the bullets flying near your head.

However for all the others I think it's best said not to use any funny things on your sensor.
Also 170$ is very expensive. Get the cleaning Kid instead and do it yourself. Or get a Blower.
Also dust does not = dust. There might be dust that melts when the sensor is overheated. Therefor if you do have dust on your sensor do not use live-view or the video function. Better get rid of the dust first.

By the way never point your camera towards the sun in live or video mode.
06-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #29

If I were stuck in a place with no adequate tools to clean my sensor, I would suck it up and wait until the proper cleaning tools can be acquired. Cleaning your sensor with saliva and an ear bud ranks up there as one of the dumbest thing you can ever do to your camera sensor. There's the healing/clone brush in Photoshop and Lightroom for a reason.

I can't tell if this is just a stupid joke gone on too long or you're actually bloody serious.

--------

I just got a brilliant idea, I should start a bottling company selling bottled condensed breaths of beautiful women.
I think you're the one who has trouble reading. It's not saliva, it's just warm air that condensates on the cold sensor. Stop being so condescending (hehe) and make sure you even understand what I'm saying before you make me out as a moron. Or go back to primary school science class or something.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't send droplets of saliva flying everywhere when I breathe on something, but still I take a couple of breaths on the back of my hand first to make sure.

And I'm a girl if you can't tell from my name. It's not only guys who are interested in photography!

Last edited by Parallax; 06-29-2010 at 09:34 AM.
06-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I think his point is that condensation in one's breath would be pure, by definition. It is distilled water. However, the problem is that droplets of saliva might be propelled on the breath as well if one does not do this perfectly. As you point out, saliva is not even close to pure.
I agree and that's pretty much my point. You can not avoid getting some droplets of saliva on the sensor each time you breathe on it. You're basically playing Russian Roulette with your sensor. Bring a $5 rocket blower with you, instead.

And I'm a girl if you can't tell from my name. It's not only guys who are interested in photography!
What does this have to do with anything?

Frankly, I don't care how you use or abuse your camera. I just don't think it's a good idea to have other people use your little sensor cleaning technique. Perhaps I've been too vocal about it but it seems other people back me on my opinions in regard to the efficacy of your methods.