Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Really? Purest form of water? When I become filthy rich, I'm going to drink water gathered from the breaths of a thousand blind babies.
See that's your problem, you need to use the breath of 18 year old virgins...

06-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Antarctica in Winter, wow!

Aerosols in breath contain fungi and bacteria which are dragged to surface with condensation; no matter how saliva droplet free, even air blown from nose.

Windex contains extremely harsh ammonia, a gas which can easily penetrate behind sensor filter to actual sensor surface. Not recommended for sensor cleaning; ammonia is corrosive, not friendly to metals in electronics.

Hey Kari I bet you'll find some sterile wipes, tongue depressors, and 90% isopropol alcohol in the first aid kit, and perhaps even some reagent grade methanol in the science lab -- all the stuff needed to make your own sensor swabs and cleaning fluid. The lab might even have a supply of well-filtered compressed air. Here are some easy-to-follow instructions:

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

While Hangu is correct, due to high-visibility of forum and proven knowledge of members, we don't want to propagate anything incorrect, I'm pretty certain that adding the group knowledge, as exhibited in this thread, will prevent anybody from making a mistake. Hangu would not be considered rude in New York City; nobody would take his posts personally....
06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have cleaned a stubborn spot off my k20d with a q-tip and lab grade methanol. I used the blower in case any fibers were left and it worked fine. The rocket blower is usually enough though. The biggest spot I ever had was on my k20d when I bought it new.
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #49

Lets clear up a misconception about Windex, as no one ever bothers to see whats in it.

Use only Windex Original (Although Blue looks to be the same from what I've read), not some of the other Windex products as they may contain ammonia and a variety of other chemicals.

Here is the MDS for Windex Original, looks pretty safe to me and I think you'll find similar properties to some of the expensive cleaners (Mmm, namely Distelled water & Isopropyl) that do not have the contents listed in their MDS, wonder why ?

You don't need tons of Isopropyl as it evaporates the water too fast, which is why it streaks.

The Ethylene is fine if you do some reading about it and uderstand its usage.

Material Safety Data Sheet
according to ANSI Z400.1- 2004 and 29 CFR 1910.1200
WINDEX® ORIGINAL GLASS CLEANER

Version
1. Print Date 04/28/2009
Revision Date 01/16/2009 MSDS Number 350000004274

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Chemical Name CAS-No. Weight %

Water 7732-18-5 60.00 - 100.00

Isopropanol 67-63-0 1.00 - 5.00

Ethylene glycol 112-25-4 0.10 - 1.00

06-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I have cleaned a stubborn spot off my k20d with a q-tip and lab grade methanol. I used the blower in case any fibers were left and it worked fine. The rocket blower is usually enough though. The biggest spot I ever had was on my k20d when I bought it new.
Eclipse, recommended by an earlier poster, is nothing more than a pure grade of methanol. If you can find very pure methanol in some other form, I'm sure you would save money.

I'm not so sure that a Q-tip always works so well. There is a lot of lint in some of them.
06-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Eclipse, recommended by an earlier poster, is nothing more than a pure grade of methanol. If you can find very pure methanol in some other form, I'm sure you would save money.

I'm not so sure that a Q-tip always works so well. There is a lot of lint in some of them.
If I remember correctly, for the Pentax sensors (older information), Eclipse II is what is recommended. I don't know exactly what the difference is though. It had something to do with the exact chemical makeup and the type of sensors in the Pentax cameras.

To the original point of the thread, I've never found anything that worked better than the Pentax O-ICK1 kit for most dry cleanings. It's my third go to after the shaker followed by the blower. Don't know what CRIS did for $170. From the look of the sensor, they just put a new label on the box and returned it.

Regardless of what methods used, they all have their risks. The only reason, in my opinion, to send a camera out for a sensor cleaning is to lay that risk on somebody else. I personally wouldn't use cotton q-tips because cotton can be an abrasive. If it works for you however, have at it.

07-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If I remember correctly, for the Pentax sensors (older information), Eclipse II is what is recommended. I don't know exactly what the difference is though. It had something to do with the exact chemical makeup and the type of sensors in the Pentax cameras.
If I remember correctly, the Eclipse-sponsored website also says, touch a Pentax sensor with our product; lose your Pentax warranty, though they claim that Sony, the manufacturer of the sensor in the K10d, recommends Eclipse II. They also make it clear that the solution is nothing more than methanol.

07-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #53
Veteran Member

By the way "rocket blowers" (of course not exactly the same we use for camera, but practically they are almost the same) can be bought in any pharmacy. Ladies need and use it for... you don't want to know
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #54
Inactive Account

If I remember correctly, the Eclipse-sponsored website also says, touch a Pentax sensor with our product; lose your Pentax warranty, though they claim that Sony, the manufacturer of the sensor in the K10d, recommends Eclipse II. They also make it clear that the solution is nothing more than methanol.
I think if you harm your sensor while cleaning it, you are on your own regardless of how you did it. Your information does sound like what I had read a couple years ago but it was from a sensor cleaning tutorial site. I think it was linked earlier in the thread and many of us have seen it before..

Precautions - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

07-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I think if you harm your sensor while cleaning it, you are on your own regardless of how you did it. Your information does sound like what I had read a couple years ago but it was from a sensor cleaning tutorial site. I think it was linked earlier in the thread and many of us have seen it before..

Precautions - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

Yes, that is the site. They say that if Pentax sees you've touched you sensor, your warranty is gone.
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #56

Yes, that is the site. They say that if Pentax sees you've touched you sensor, your warranty is gone.
Just wondering, how would they be able to know if the sensor had been touched, as long as no scractches or such good be seen?
07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balders Quote
Just wondering, how would they be able to know if the sensor had been touched, as long as no scractches or such good be seen?
Don't know, but fluid residue also comes to mind.
07-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I know this is completely off topic, but Kari, how about some pictures from Antarctica...? We'd all like to see our brand in action down south.
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #59
Inactive Account

Don't know, but fluid residue also comes to mind.
I didn't go back and re-read everything but I seem to remember that the Eclipse 1 had some tendancy to react with the AA filter and in fact, leave a residue and could actually attack the material or coating. That was the reason for the recommendation (of the site) to use Eclipse II on the Pentax cameras. It SEEMS as though that suggestion began with the K10d.

All that being said, and believing the Photographic Solutions guarantee (destroy the AA filter with their product and instructions, they'll pay to fix it), I bought the Sensor swabs and E-II. Biggest waste of money ever. All it did is slide things around, even when used per their instructions. Had basically the same result with the famous spinning paintbrush. Others have great luck with them but not so here. I've said it before, and will again, the only thing I've found to work reliably is the Pentax cleaning kit.

07-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I didn't go back and re-read everything but I seem to remember that the Eclipse 1 had some tendancy to react with the AA filter and in fact, leave a residue and could actually attack the material or coating. That was the reason for the recommendation (of the site) to use Eclipse II on the Pentax cameras. It SEEMS as though that suggestion began with the K10d.

All that being said, and believing the Photographic Solutions guarantee (destroy the AA filter with their product and instructions, they'll pay to fix it), I bought the Sensor swabs and E-II. Biggest waste of money ever. All it did is slide things around, even when used per their instructions. Had basically the same result with the famous spinning paintbrush. Others have great luck with them but not so here. I've said it before, and will again, the only thing I've found to work reliably is the Pentax cleaning kit.

The Visible Dust swabs and solutions worked for me when my K-x sensor came back filthy.