Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SD Cards/Recovery Sofwares?

I returned from vacation and browsed through my Raw images, card by card. You can imagine my disappointment when I tried reading the PEFs on my ScanDisk Ultra III (4gb) card and found I could not open the images. I get an error message, but I notice there is used memory on the card, which accurately corresponds to the amount of shots I took with that card. I never had an issue with a card before, no matter what brand. All cards were properly formatted in camera before I used them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

06-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

How are you attempting to read the card? In the camera, a card reader, both?

Has the card been damaged in any way?

There are a number of freeware programs that will attempt to recover files that are lost, although typically they are best at recovering files that were accidentally deleted, rather than those that are unavailable due to media read errors, for example.

Paul
06-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On the day I shot with the card, I repeatedly reviewed the pics to make sure I liked them--I often edit as I go along in camera. When I got home, I tried reading them with my PC's SD reader, which gave me a message that the files were in need of repair. It asked me if I wanted to repair them, so I clicked on yes. When I did so, 3 visible folders disappeared. However, a properties check on the card reveals nearly 2 GB of space is still occupied. The PC's SD card reader read my other cards.

No, no damage to the card.

I was not aware of the freeware--do you suggest one over another?

Thank you, very much, for all of the help.

Ernest
06-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one that is recommended a lot and it's free. It's called Recuva. Here's the info about it.

Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!

06-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ernest, check whether the card is locked. You might have accidentally locked it. This was the reason the last time I couldn't see the files on my sdhc card.
06-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Christopher Grenier's Photorec program has worked very well for me in the past with accidental deletions failed cards and failed memory sticks as well as a poorly formatted series of backup image file CDs
CGSecurity
06-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Here's one that is recommended a lot and it's free. It's called Recuva. Here's the info about it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Christopher Grenier's Photorec program has worked very well for me in the past with accidental deletions failed cards and failed memory sticks as well as a poorly formatted series of backup image file CDs CGSecurity

I don't currently have any files to recover - so obviously have not tried either of these out -
but they seem very good recommendations - especially since it is not JPGs but PEF/RAW files that need recovery.

Recuva (Wikipedia link) is by Piriform who also produce cCleaner - one of the very top Freeware that I use on a more than daily basis on my PC - so I am very interested in Recuva.

PhotoRec (Wikipedia link) may seem to have less of a pedigree - but I visited the site and I was very impressed with the Wiki- type layout and the way its documented - this speaks very well for the product.

PhotoRec seems to bundled with TestDisk - which also seems to be a very useful tool - note: according to the Softpedia review TestDisk may be hard to use - but PhotoRec is supposed to be very easy....

Caveat: Bear in mind I have not actually used either -
also I have only had a couple of occasions to recover photos - and those were JPGs - so I cannot be counted on as an experienced user (thank goodness)......
however these both seem very impressive -
and I have downloaded both for future usage.

Thanks for posting the links photolady and Arjay Bee

Last edited by UnknownVT; 06-28-2010 at 09:18 PM.
06-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There is a data recovery software from Sandisk (download from the Web site but you need serial number on the card).
06-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just purchased a SanDisk Extreme III SD card and it came with a license for recovery software. Something to consider (Especially since it was only $29.99 for a 4Gb card + software).
06-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
causey Ernest, check whether the card is locked. You might have accidentally locked it. This was the reason the last time I couldn't see the files on my sdhc card.
Oh, how I wish it were only that simple--thanks for the suggestion though--mucho appreciate it.

QuoteQuote:
photolady Here's one that is recommended a lot and it's free. It's called Recuva. Here's the info about it.

Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!
Photolady, I will give this one a try--thank you very much for the help!

QuoteQuote:
Arjay Bee Christopher Grenier's Photorec program has worked very well for me in the past with accidental deletions failed cards and failed memory sticks as well as a poorly formatted series of backup image file CDs
CGSecurity
This is on my list now for a possible fix--thank you too!
QuoteQuote:
noahpurdy I just purchased a SanDisk Extreme III SD card and it came with a license for recovery software. Something to consider (Especially since it was only $29.99 for a 4Gb card + software).
Noah--thanks--my next SD card will seriously consider this information.
QuoteQuote:
aleonx3 There is a data recovery software from Sandisk (download from the Web site but you need serial number on the card).
THANK YOU.
06-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome. I've used Recuva to recovery photos I've not been able to retrieve from cds and my harddrive. So, I know it's good.

Vincent, you're welcome too.
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you!!!

QuoteQuote:
photolady You're welcome. I've used Recuva to recovery photos I've not been able to retrieve from cds and my harddrive. So, I know it's good.
You are not kidding it is good--it recovered the PEF files under a file name of .CHK. All I had to do was rename the file with the PEF extension and I had my PEFs--phenomenal. I can't thank you enough. It also recovered hundreds of other files which I had deleted long ago--some amazing software. Here is one of the PEFs it rescued for me I'll link to the Tammy Club where I just posted this.

06-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always great to see the results of a happy ending.
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome again Jewelltrail. That's some beautiful photo you recovered. I'm sure glad you got them recovered.
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
mithrandir Always great to see the results of a happy ending.
Thanks and I agree, happy endings are meant to be shared.

QuoteQuote:
photolady You're welcome again Jewelltrail. That's some beautiful photo you recovered. I'm sure glad you got them recovered.
I recovered about 100 PEFs from my vacation with Recuva. Obviously, not all of them were as good as this one, but many were. I can not adequately express how happy & grateful I am. I waited to get to that vacation destination for many years and much planning went into it. Though most of the SD cards were fine, it is an understatement to say I was heartbroken when I could not open the one which inspired this thread. Simply a great forum, with many great people.

Best!