Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stuck Pixel on my K-7 LCD

Hey guys, I just got my new K-7 this weekend and am loving it! By far the best sub-FF camera I've used!

Thankfully my electronic level is spot on accurate, and the sensor looks to be working great. The only problem I've seen (and it's petty) is that a pixel on the LCD is stuck blue. The pixel's red and green components work properly, but on a black screen the blue blares out. I know this isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if you guys know of any ways to "unstick it"?

I've seen programs that do this for LCD monitors (where they flicker the screen between colors rapidly seizure style). Any tips?

I can live with this for sure, as it doesn't affect image quality...it's just annoying.

06-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera easily returned? Meaning did you buy it at a store? Short of that, try pressing the Info button several times to rapidly change the screen display from on to off. Hopefully, that Might emulate the software you speak of and may cure the problem. Above all else, I think that would annoy me as well, especially since I like to keep the screen turned off.

Welcome to the club by the way..

06-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Is the camera easily returned? Meaning did you buy it at a store? Short of that, try pressing the Info button several times to rapidly change the screen display from on to off. Hopefully, that Might emulate the software you speak of and may cure the problem. Above all else, I think that would annoy me as well, especially since I like to keep the screen turned off.

Welcome to the club by the way..

Thanks for the welcome! No unfortunately there's not a store in New Mexico that carries a K-7 (I checked). Got it from B&H. I doubt the return policy would work for 1 hot pixel on the LCD, but maybe so...although I'd run the risk of getting a copy with an inaccurate level.
06-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Hey guys, I just got my new K-7 this weekend and am loving it! By far the best sub-FF camera I've used!

Thankfully my electronic level is spot on accurate, and the sensor looks to be working great. The only problem I've seen (and it's petty) is that a pixel on the LCD is stuck blue. The pixel's red and green components work properly, but on a black screen the blue blares out. I know this isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if you guys know of any ways to "unstick it"?

I've seen programs that do this for LCD monitors (where they flicker the screen between colors rapidly seizure style). Any tips?

I can live with this for sure, as it doesn't affect image quality...it's just annoying.
That kind of thing bothers me too... however I have grown to ignore them over time.

If you can return it, you should try *if* it bothers you that much. Normally on things like this it doesnt bother me... since through the bumps and use it will probably get a few more stuck over the months and years.

Now my IPS panels... those get sent back the same day!!!

Good luck, you should be happy with what you bought, if the stuck pixel is just killing you... try for the exchange

06-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Presently I'm running JScreenFix on my computer monitor and letting my camera watch in live view. I'll let you guys know if it works.
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Presently I'm running JScreenFix on my computer monitor and letting my camera watch in live view. I'll let you guys know if it works.
Haha, thats creative! That JSFix does work sometimes.
06-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I ran it for 10 minutes and started getting the "overheating" temperature warning in live view. The pixel isn't unstuck yet, but it is flickering a good deal (just on the blue channel). I'll give it a rest and try again in the morning.

In the meantime, does 10 minutes sound about right for the temp warning to show up in live view while indoors?

06-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I ran it for 10 minutes and started getting the "overheating" temperature warning in live view. The pixel isn't unstuck yet, but it is flickering a good deal (just on the blue channel). I'll give it a rest and try again in the morning.

In the meantime, does 10 minutes sound about right for the temp warning to show up in live view while indoors?
Yes it probably is right.
Cheers, Mike.
06-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
That kind of thing bothers me too... however I have grown to ignore them over time.

If you can return it, you should try *if* it bothers you that much. Normally on things like this it doesnt bother me... since through the bumps and use it will probably get a few more stuck over the months and years.

Now my IPS panels... those get sent back the same day!!!

Good luck, you should be happy with what you bought, if the stuck pixel is just killing you... try for the exchange
Yeah so I tried the JScreenFix a couple more times with no luck. I decided for as much as I spent I should be 100% satisfied, so 99% didn't cut it.

I just called B&H and they're happy to replace it, so I'll just ship it back and be out of a camera for a few weeks. Thankfully I have nothing important going on until August, so no biggie.

I'm still totally pumped about the camera though...what a fantastic tool! It's got all the features I'll ever need (or at least I think I need ).
06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Ari
Veteran Member

I had a stuck pixel on the upper left hand corner of my k7. Noticed it about a month after getting it. I turned it on and off a few times, pulled the battery, turned it on and off a couple of times again and......it was gone!!!!! If it didn't disappear I would definitely have returned it, though. I agree - it should be 100%, not 99% coming out of the box. Good luck with yours
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ari...yeah I must have tried turning off and on 30 times to get the thing to go away, but alas it stayed...the sad part is I think it'll take 4+ weeks from the time I gave it to UPS on Monday to when I get it back...sigh...

B&H returns + 2*UPS ground = 19-26 business days = 27-36 days