Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Nubi

Cannot download RAW files from K-7

I was discussing this in another thread, but I thought I will throw this out here, because I know there are many of you who are just superb with these kind of things, and as with many things, I really suck at these.

I have a K-7, which I purchased on 7/6/2009. I am sure it is out of the earlier lot.

Few days ago, when I tried to download my pics to Aperture 2.1.4, they were read as "unsupported image format."

Very annoying. At first, I thought that this was a software problem, in that there were other raw files already downloaded and worked on months ago also became "unsupported image files."

So this is what I have done so far.

1. I tried to down load RAW files from my K10D. No problems here. It was business as usual.

2. I tried other SD cards, one of them brand new and newly formatted. None of them would work.

3. I tried shooting with JPEG, which I do not typically do, both with K10D and K-7. No problems here.

4. I tried resetting the default of K-7, then switch over to RAW (DNG always), and no luck.

5. I tried downloading to another software. iPhoto. No luck.

6. I ran disc utility on my mac. No issues here.

7. I rebuilt my aperture library, re-installed Aperture. No luck here.

Some of the forum members advised me to send just it in for a repair. I already e mailed them, and I am packaging it now.

I got this thing in Japan, with the international warranty card. I hope they won't give me a hard time with that.

Any ideas???

Thank you, guys, in advance.

06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't be sending your camera away for repairs when a glitch in a third-party program may be suspected as the cause. Have you tried downloading to the Pentax software at all? Also, make sure you're using the latest K-7 firmware.
06-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound like a camera issue to me, sounds like an Aperture issue. What version of OS X are you running?
06-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't be sending your camera away for repairs when a glitch in a third-party program may be suspected as the cause. Have you tried downloading to the Pentax software at all? Also, make sure you're using the latest K-7 firmware.
Yes the firmware is the latest. Updated it a while ago. SHould I re-intall the newest firmware??

No, I have not tried to download to the Pentax software. I will try that next. Will keep post when I do that.

Thanks, Adam.

06-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Doesn't sound like a camera issue to me, sounds like an Aperture issue. What version of OS X are you running?

Aperture is 2.1.4.

My mac OS is 10.6.4.

As I said, I don't have any issues with K10D though. None. RAW or JPEG.
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Try PEF RAW from K-7 to see if it works... perhaps the problem is the DNG format from K-7. Don't think the problem is related to earlier batch, I just got my K-7 and the manufacture date is 6/09/2009, also earlier batch. I have no problem reading PEF or DNG file.
06-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Try PEF RAW from K-7 to see if it works... perhaps the problem is the DNG format from K-7. Don't think the problem is related to earlier batch, I just got my K-7 and the manufacture date is 6/09/2009, also earlier batch. I have no problem reading PEF or DNG file.
Tried that too. Doesn't work.

Thanks though.

I just bought lightroom 3, and I am installing it right now. I will try Adam's suggestion too.

Will keep you posted.
06-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
emr

Nubi, if that problems exists with old files on your Mac, I don't think it can be a camera issue. Have you tried resetting the Aperture software user preferences by removing the appropriate .plist (or tried the other tricks that Apple lists on that page)?

Aperture 2: Troubleshooting Basics

06-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the latest firmware on the K-7 both Silkypix and Elements can read both PEF and DNG file form my k-7. I am running Vista though not Mac OS.
06-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Nubi

Well, well, well.

You guys did it again.

With lightroom 3, it does download (Yes!!).

It is a glitch in the 3rd party software, as Adam indicated.

Adam, you rock, dude!

I will donate again this coming year, just for that.
06-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Nubi, if that problems exists with old files on your Mac, I don't think it can be a camera issue. Have you tried resetting the Aperture software user preferences by removing the appropriate .plist (or tried the other tricks that Apple lists on that page)?

Aperture 2: Troubleshooting Basics

Thanks, emr.

Yes I have. You and other smart people alike have mentioned that as well, and I have tried with no luck. All the old files I cannot see are also all RAW files too. My next step is to move the files I cannot see on Aperture to Lightroom 3 and see if the files themselves are damaged, or something like that.

I should have know better not to buy a software from a company who makes cell phones which you have to hold in certain ways.

I forgot to mention this (honest mistake), but it seems that since I got my iPad, things have been a bit flakey. Off topic here, I do like my iPad, solely for carrying out crap load of medical textbooks and references . . . . . I have not used it all for photo viewing. Now I am almost afraid to.

I still want to send in my camera before warranty runs out so that they can check for the usual stuff. Abusing the system, I know. So I probably won't.

Anyhow, thanks again, everybody!!
06-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have had spotty results using Aperture 2 with newer Pentax camera's and RAW files (K-7, and K-x). It's unfortunate though, because the only other alternative's UI (Lightroom) is absolutely garbage. Aperture 3 however fixed those issues for me (I breathed a sigh of relief).
06-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
I have had spotty results using Aperture 2 with newer Pentax camera's and RAW files (K-7, and K-x). It's unfortunate though, because the only other alternative's UI (Lightroom) is absolutely garbage. Aperture 3 however fixed those issues for me (I breathed a sigh of relief).
Hm . . . . .

I don't know too much about lightroom 3, but why is it garbage?? What aspects of it do you know like about it? I thought about buying aperture 3, but I am afraid to because of what happened. I would like to keep it simple, so having many different softwares may not be such a good thing . . ..

Interesting that Adam mentions Pentax software. I believe that it is Silkypix based or something like that. Guys at Pentax Square in Japan recommended highly, because they say it treats JPEG files in similar fashions as the RAW files, or something like that.

I am going to give that a try too, I guess.
06-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
emr

Nubi, just out of curiosity: how are you using your iPad in relation to your Mac, Aperture and photos? Do you have Aperture installed on it (haven't checked if that's possible)? Are you somehow synching your iPad to your Mac? Have you transfered pictures from your camera to your iPad via your Mac?

I'm just wondering if that iPad is really messing things up.
06-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I don't know too much about lightroom 3, but why is it garbage??
It's not. But preference in UI is a personal thing. Some people may love a given interface, others may hate it. Many people love LR's interface and find it very intuitive, but as is always the case with any program, including Aperture, others may feel differently.

QuoteQuote:
I thought about buying aperture 3, but I am afraid to because of what happened.
Should be a very simple matter of conslting the web site to find out if the K-7 is a supported model for that version. Presumably, their web site would tell you it isn't for the version you have. It's pretty normal for olders versions fo programs to not support newer cameras. Often updates are released, and it's possible an update for your version would add K-7support, but I understand Aperture is very very slow about supporting Pentax cameras.