Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
On the RAW issue (since many are saying shoot RAW and just process your own images)...

Which do you prefer? (I know the response might be varied)
I'd suggest going over to the software / PP forum, browsing the *many* existing threads on these topics, then perhaps posting your own followup questions in a separate thread there.

07-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not "switching" to Canon. Only thinking of having a second system for some of my personal color/exposure tastes. Probably when the 2011 Rebel comes out. I love Pentax, but I also love Canon colors. And Yes, I know they are bright and in reality unnatural, and I like that because to me they are not boring colors and still work very well.

I heard someone say Canon digital systems attempt to emulate Fuji film. I should be using an expensive Canon system for what I have been doing. ((fast action nature photography)) However, I have been happy with my results with Pentax. I have met really good nature photographer Canonites in the field and I have seen their photos.

I have been using the "vibrant" setting. I will have to try the "landscape" setting someone else recommmended in this thread.

I don't have a problem with underexposure except when I am trying to photograph Monarch butterflies and their related species. There is a great photo of a Monarch (in this link below)

PENTAX Photo Gallery

(It does look slightly underexposed to me.) It is hard to believe he only did it with F4. I would have tried to use at least F8.

Anyone with any advice for me would be appreciated.

Still keeping Pentax. Might even get an adapter to use Pentax lenses on the future Rebel.

I talked with other Canonites about their lenses. The wildlife pros only use their "L series" lenses. If I was a total amateur again who just bought a Canon Rebel, soft Canon lenses would have made me mad at Canon.

My DA*300mm is very sharp and I am very happy with it.

I guess I do have a certain admiration for Canon. I don't want to go out and spend $8,000.00 for a 400mm f2.8 lens but I have been impressed by what I have seen with those lenses. A Canonite and I were both panning our cameras trying to catch sharp photos of birds in flight. We both were throwing away many of our shots but I have some good keepers.

I don't think Pentax is very far behind Canon. With Moore's law in continuous effect, I expect processing power to just keep getting better. I think Pentax should go on the offense and compete with Canon's designs.

Last edited by traderdrew; 07-02-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Just clearing something up
07-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #123
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It truly is all in the settings.

I shot my first day this weekend using the K-x settings for protecting the highlights. When first viewed in RAW, many of the shots looked quite dark. I really is quite aggressive in preserving those highlights--more so than the K20d. Now I can more understand what others have been saying. However, it really is a case of whether you want to be lightening a shadow in a contrasty scene with fill or dealing with a blown highlight.