Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a couple of things. First of all, to me it is not important whether or not a camera under exposes or over exposes, but just that it is consistent. The goal with a digital camera is to expose to the point just before the highlights get blown. However, Pentax tends to be a little conservative in that regard. Anyway, as others have said, the K7 seems to get pretty close there. Depending on the situation I may add about .3 EV, but that's about it.

With regard to undersaturation, I would far rather have it that way. Over saturated photos tend to really screw up skin tones and it is really tough to adjust after the fact. If you want that Rebel look after the fact, just pull up your saturation after the fact (or shoot jpeg and bump it up in camera), but be warned, that is something that you can't undo after the fact.

06-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My K-7 meters dead-on or slightly on the + side, lens dependent. Videos are solid with Sandisk 16 Gb class 10 card.
I'm ordering a 16GB Class 10 soon. I'll see if that fixes it. Will also run some more K-7 metering tests, since more people are saying their K-7 is perfect.
06-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are a couple of things. First of all, to me it is not important whether or not a camera under exposes or over exposes, but just that it is consistent. The goal with a digital camera is to expose to the point just before the highlights get blown. However, Pentax tends to be a little conservative in that regard. Anyway, as others have said, the K7 seems to get pretty close there. Depending on the situation I may add about .3 EV, but that's about it.

With regard to undersaturation, I would far rather have it that way. Over saturated photos tend to really screw up skin tones and it is really tough to adjust after the fact. If you want that Rebel look after the fact, just pull up your saturation after the fact (or shoot jpeg and bump it up in camera), but be warned, that is something that you can't undo after the fact.
Yes.... as stated, that's what's happening to me... all my skin tones are coming out awful if I boost in-camera. No one thinks bad if a tree is greener or water is bluer, but a more red, more pink, more yellow, or more orange human face - and you notice! So I tend to leave at my default settings, while yearning for something more vibrant but natural and not knowing how to get it except switching to Canon (gasp).
06-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did not have any problems with class 6 San-disk extreme 3 cards either when shooting vid.
I run Program in Bright, Jpegs. Makes me happy enough.

Just compared DA 55-300, DA*60-250 and SMCA 70-210 f4 for image quality (color and contrast, not PF) at 70mm f4. What lens you think came on top?, take a guess.

It`s not just the camera.

06-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #20

I tend to feel that my K-x underexposes a bit too. It's my first DSLR though so I don't claim to know anything, but my last camera was a canon powershot and I loved those canon colors. I won't switch to Canon, I'm happy with my k-x. It's just a bit frustrating sometimes. I'm still learning to use it though, so I'm sure I'll figure out how to get my pictures to look the way I want eventually.
06-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I know.... most Pentaxians seem to hate the word Canon and saturated Canon colors.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a Rebel as a second camera just for those colors! But keep my Pentax as well.

I have a K-7... what in-camera settings do you use/adjust to get more saturation/brightness? I find when I make an adjustment, it makes the image too harsh... so I was wondering what you adjust to your liking? Might help me adjust mine better in-camera.
You seem to be asking questions which should be best asked in the Beginners forum.

And to somehow imply that Pentax metering underexposes is an untenable position to take. It makes no sense.

If you're complaining about your in-camera settings, which you describe as "too harsh," you certainly shouldn't have to post here to complain about Pentax. Any newbie knows how to adjust their image settings for JPEG out of the camera.

But as always, would you please post the photos you're unsatisfied with?

You're allowed to complain about Pentax, but without proper documentation of your problem(s), you're really not.

We need your photos to examine the EXIF data. Otherwise, don't be surprised if most of us don't take your post all that seriously.

Last edited by Ira; 06-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.
06-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you, I am working on how to make my K-7 output look like the images from my K-100D.
Old habits die hard..

Cheers, Mike.

06-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I find with Canon, its exposure tends to yield more cyan or white skies than Pentax. I would rather err on the side of underexposue to keep skies blue. I'm usually entering -2/3 on Canons.

I also do not like the matrix metering. I use centre-weighted and can predict its behaviour better so I can use ev-comp more effectively.
06-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

There's a reason for Pentax put 3 metering modes on their DSLR camera along with EV compensation and endless Custom Image settings (at least it is on the K20D).
06-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On K-7 too, you can make it output anything you freaking want to, if the default settings are not to your liking. What a great camera..
Only thing it can not do is read your mind, such a shame.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 06-27-2010 at 04:46 PM.
06-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might want to try shooting using the "Landscape" color setting. I use it for everything, I even tweaked a little. It saturates overall a little better than "Normal" color setting. I find I do very little saturation, just for a specific color if needed. (I use ACDSee Pro 3). I spend no more than 15 Minutes per edit. The Exposure is real close, (I don't shoot too far to the right -- but close--, I don't want blown highlights). and the color is good.
I have my EC on +.3. to +.7 95% of the time. I am OK with that too. It is a tool, so I keep adjusting my tool as the subject requires.
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #27
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
Maybe my K-7 is not so perfect? It is better, but still has issues. Lots to love about it, but not perfect. Also my video mode cuts off after 45 seconds! I use a 16GB Class 6 card... and can't get video to work past 45 seconds. Oh well... the video issue is a whole 'nother thread.

I don't have a K-7 just yet. but i have read many reviews stating their Cameras may be a bad copy, SO I HOPE I GET A GOOD ONE

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:17 PM.
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
I don't have a K-7 just yet. but i have read many reviews stating their Cameras may be a bad copy, SO I HOPE I GET A GOOD ONE
Would you like to link those reviews here?

Claiming so and being so are two entirely different things!!!
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bad copy of K-7?, guess it could happen. I have one at work and one at home. Both are tack drivers. Most likely the poor SOB`s have no idea how to operate one!
06-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #30
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I did not have any problems with class 6 San-disk extreme 3 cards either when shooting vid.
I run Program in Bright, Jpegs. Makes me happy enough.

Just compared DA 55-300, DA*60-250 and SMCA 70-210 f4 for image quality (color and contrast, not PF) at 70mm f4. What lens you think came on top?, take a guess.

It`s not just the camera.

I bet 55-300 came out on top, as I have heard it is a Sharp lens

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:16 PM.