Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
But I thought the point of digital was that it would be pretty decent for auto metering.
No, the point of digital is that you don't need film, development, enlargers and chemicals. Plus you get instant feedback and the freedom to shoot until you drop. Metering, however, is difficult, on the same order as metering for slide transparencies.

I mean - if most of us generally agree Pentax UNDER-exposes
But we do not all agree. I think my K20D nails it just about correctly, maybe only slightly underexposing, which is in fact what I want. I have found that certain lenses in manual mode underexpose on the Green button. But that is not a general problem.

On the contrast/saturation - yes I boost them too in-camera, but I find the images come out artificial looking or too harsh
I use RAW so none of this matters. With film one had to be a smart developer to get good shots. Same with digital. I find myself increasing contrast sometimes and decreasing it other times. Same for saturation... sometimes I find the Pentax colours too much.

On the Rebel - the stats seem pretty good.
They are rubbish compared with the Pentax cameras. No in-body stabilisation, crappy viewfinders, no WR, plastic build... toys, really. They only exist so Canon can up-sell you to a different model.

But if you are the sort of person who takes photographs based on stats... then go right ahead and get a Rebel!

06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #32
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Would you like to link those reviews here?

Claiming so and being so are two entirely different things!!!

here you go:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only)

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:16 PM.
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The default "under-expose" characteristic of the K-7 or K10D is not to clip any highlights. There is also a couple of settings where you can set AE locked when AF is locked and AE locked despite AF point selection in multi-segment. Those setting will help you get the most out of the camera. Default settings for the Rebel series are generally a tad over-exposed - but that is for those who knows little about the camera.
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My K-7 meters dead-on or slightly on the + side, lens dependent. Videos are solid with Sandisk 16 Gb class 10 card.
+1 on this.
Video cutoff has been rectified with latest firmware updates.
Given one can customize just about every setting on the camera, I tend to believe most problems lie behind the viewfinder.

Last edited by creampuff; 06-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.
06-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
They are rubbish compared with the Pentax cameras. No in-body stabilisation, crappy viewfinders, no WR, plastic build... toys, really. They only exist so Canon can up-sell you to a different model.

But if you are the sort of person who takes photographs based on stats... then go right ahead and get a Rebel!

+1 we are talking about the Rebel (XT, XS, T1i, T2i).... not the high-end ones.
06-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
+1 on this.
Video cutoff has been rectified with latest firmware updates.
Given one can customize just about every setting on the camera, I tend to believe most problems lie behind the viewfinder.
FYI - I upgraded all the firmware. Still having the video issue.
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
+1 we are talking about the Rebel (XT, XS, T1i, T2i).... not the high-end ones.
Ummm... I still own a K-7 and K20D and tons of the best lenses. Never said Rebel had WR, metal bodies, OIS, etc. Just said the stats looked good, and the owner reviews gave it high ratings, and thought maybe the Rebel was worth a shot as a second system since it was so low priced.

06-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The default "under-expose" characteristic of the K-7 or K10D is not to clip any highlights. There is also a couple of settings where you can set AE locked when AF is locked and AE locked despite AF point selection in multi-segment. Those setting will help you get the most out of the camera. Default settings for the Rebel series are generally a tad over-exposed - but that is for those who knows little about the camera.
This makes sense about clipping. Still I find it aggravating, because then I spend hours post. Oh well.

Also, yes the previous post makes sense about film vs. digital. I guess that's why sensors keep getting better.... film is 100+ years old so it has been perfected. Plus you still have to spend time in the dark room, just like you spend time in Adobe PhotoShop. Sensors are only a few decades, depending what you consider the first digital sensor.
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I hear you, I am working on how to make my K-7 output look like the images from my K-100D.
Old habits die hard..

Cheers, Mike.
I'm thinking of getting either a K10D or K100D Super as a 3rd camera. Since you have a K100D, what do you recommend? I hear so many things great about K100s. Is it better than a K10D? The price difference is only $100 used. ($200 vs. $300)

Many times I like my K20D images more than my K-7. Oh well.

I do prefer my K-7 overall and use it the most. But with my K20D as a backup... many times I look at an image for color/contrast/quality I really like, and find out it was my K20D not my K-7!
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
You might want to try shooting using the "Landscape" color setting. I use it for everything, I even tweaked a little. It saturates overall a little better than "Normal" color setting. I find I do very little saturation, just for a specific color if needed. (I use ACDSee Pro 3). I spend no more than 15 Minutes per edit. The Exposure is real close, (I don't shoot too far to the right -- but close--, I don't want blown highlights). and the color is good.
I have my EC on +.3. to +.7 95% of the time. I am OK with that too. It is a tool, so I keep adjusting my tool as the subject requires.
Yes... I find I do these same settings, too, for the same reasons.

But I haven't found that perfect setting for skin tones and people portraits yet. Too much saturation/contrast and the people turn weird colors or their wrinkles/pimples show too much, too little, and they are bland and don't "POP". Oh well. Each generation of camera gets better.
06-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #41

Original Poster
Sadly, without being so harsh, and still loving my Pentax and it's potential... and hoping for a better Pentax future with newer models in years to come... I have to sadly agree with much of this review for the K-7. It describes the problems I'm having.

But before you shoot me... just know I'm sticking with Pentax for the other reasons we love the Big P.
06-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the output from my K100D, but...no I would not buy an other one.
If there was no upgrade on the horizon, I would buy an other K-7 body with second D-BG4 grip or maybe an KX in RED.
06-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am slow to type, jumping to Amazon reviews.
06-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #44
Veteran Member

if most of us generally agree Pentax UNDER-exposes
Most don't agree on that at all. Some subjectively like brighter exposures, and don't mind violating ISO standards or blowing out highlights to get them. That's fine; it's why the expousre compensation button exists. but a camera should produce ISO-compliant exposures by default, with highlights not blown, and that's exactly what Pentax cameras do.
06-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

That's not a "review"; that's a comment from a random dissatisfied customer. Sure, those happen all the time with any product ever made. You original post made it sound like an actual reviewer made some claim about bad copies.