Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

K-7 - please help.

I somewhat recently upgraded from the K100D to the K-7. Having made what seemingly should be a substantial upgrade in sensor size and quality, I was expecting a commensurate increase in image quality. I am either missing something, or was mistaken.

So far I have probably taken about 1000 photos with the K-7, and each time I upload the photos, they appear blurry, even in comparison to the K100D photos. I've cleaned my lens, shot at fast shutter speeds to reduce shake, used tripods, shot at sweet-spot apertures reported for my lens, viewed photos on higher quality monitors than my usual.... None of these attempts seem to be working.

For reference, I am using a kit lens that came with my K100D. Yes, I know. But using the same lens, photos taken with a K-7 should look better than those taken with a K100D, right?? I have been hoping to upgrade my lens, but only become more reluctant with each photo I take.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

06-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you using auto mode for your photos and are you taking them in RAW or JPG?
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My experience with the v1 kit lens and the K7/K100 is that the pictures are not better with the K7.
The K7 can out-resolve the lens, and while theoretically they should be the same if you resize both down to the same size (say for monitor viewing). But I don't think mine works that way. I haven't taken any comparison shots recently between the two cameras, but I have occasionally put the kit lens on the K7 recently for one reason or another, and thought that the pictures taken with it weren't sharp at all. It may be my perception because I know how much better my pictures are when I'm using better lenses, but it just seems to me that the pictures are a bit worse with the K7.

If you can possibly manage it, try a better lens on both cameras to get a better idea of what's going on with the K7. I'm not going to say that it's all the lens's fault, there could be something wrong with your camera. But since I think my pictures with the v1 kit lens on the K7 look worse than on the K100, I'm more inclined to think that's what you are experiencing.

Another thought is that you might be seeing front or back focusing issues - have you shot some focus charts to rule that out? I thought there was something really wrong with one of my lenses until I realized it was front focusing, made the appropriate adjustment and it's now working very well.

Anyway, some random thoughts.
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As always, post images, or we can't really help. I'm going to guess the only problem here is that you are viewing the K-7 images much larger than the K100D (like viewing both at "100%"), which will of course make any picture blurrier. The old version of 18-55 was replaced when the K20D for a reason - because it's images didn't stand to being blown up that large.

06-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just did the same upgrade. Images should not be blurry. Might not look much better than the K-100 but should not be blurry.
Post some.
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Kai

Just in case this applies, I had to make sure to check the auto focus adjustment, Custom Setting 37. Since you cleaned your lens, maybe the camera needs adjustment for the lens.
06-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Truthfully, and I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but buy a better lens. Even the K7 Kit lens would be better. The original DA AL Kit lens was marginal at best above 6Mp (on my k10d) and I've just confirmed that it's pretty bad on my K7. Not completely unusable but not very good either.

Taken with the original kit lens

Taken with a DA*16-50

Both taken with the same aperture, f7.1, from the same distance.

I don't expect you to run out and buy a DA* lens but it's just a demo to show that the problem may NOT be the camera.

06-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks. Just a little more info: I shoot almost exclusively in manual mode. For focus, I probably choose auto most often, but of late I've been manual focusing to determine whether these issues might be caused by AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Another thought is that you might be seeing front or back focusing issues - have you shot some focus charts to rule that out? I thought there was something really wrong with one of my lenses until I realized it was front focusing, made the appropriate adjustment and it's now working very well.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
Just in case this applies, I had to make sure to check the auto focus adjustment, Custom Setting 37. Since you cleaned your lens, maybe the camera needs adjustment for the lens.
If the AF is front or back focusing like mtngal talks about, then is the auto focus adjustment custom menu the appropriate place to correct this problem? It would seem so, but I'll admit that I don't know all the ins and outs quite yet.

Anyway, here are two K-7 photos I took this weekend for reference. Thanks for your help!

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

What exactly are you expecting to be 'sharp' in those two photos? I think you are expecting a bit much out of this lens. Especially wide open.. Perhaps?

06-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

A few other comments:

- Those pictures aren't nearly large enough to see any problems, and the EXIF is gone so we don't know the settings used. We also don't know if you've deliberately compromised IQ by using a filter.

- Without knowing exactly where you intended to focus, it's impossible to know which part of the picture is *supposed* to be sharp. You haven't made clear if you realize that you cannot expect an entire picture to be in focus, and that you have to choose which part you want sharp. Sorry if that's obvious to you, but we have no way of knowing this. And what it looks like to me is that you focused on the background in the first shot but are expecting the foreground to be sharp. More useful would be to post a picture that represents just the particular part of the picture where the focus is, blown up large enough to judge sharpness. since you say you think the images are softer than the K100D, most useful would be to see comparison images, same scene, same lens, same exposure settings, blown up to the same size.

- AF afjustment is irrelevant here and in pretty much all landscape photography - it has to do with discrepancies in the placement of focus by a matter of millimeters. The only way it could be relevant here is if you told which specific part of which specific tree you had focused on, and we found the sharpest part of the picture was a different part of that very same tree.
06-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Inactive Account

The Exif on the bottom image is in tact. 1/80 sec, 55mm, f5.6. As I said before, wide open first generation kit lens, don't expect a whole bunch from it on a K7.

06-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter

i'm not sure what's not sharp in these 2 sample photos.

try shooting some objects upclose. does it make a difference?
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ntlegg Quote
I somewhat recently upgraded from the K100D to the K-7. Having made what seemingly should be a substantial upgrade in sensor size and quality, I was expecting a commensurate increase in image quality. I am either missing something, or was mistaken.
All Pentax DSLRs have always had the SAME size sensor.
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #14

Hi... I am brand new and recently got the K-7 and I have a Pentax DA 18-55mm lens. I am having the same trouble both in far away shots as well as close-ups. I am practicing my stance and holding techniques to reduce shake, but I can't seem to get things focused a lot (even most) of the time. I will try to attach a couple of examples... I have no other recorder details other than the images themselves:

There should be a way to take a plain everyday picture that has everything in focus, like with a point and shoot. Right? The meadow is blurry, the flowers have maybe two that are semi-in-focus, and the shot glasses aren't focused at all. Is it me shaking, or is there a technique or setting I should be dealing with?

I am going to a DSLR class soon, but want to know if it is me or the camera! I had a Canon Rebel at one time and did not have this problem. Where should I start to troubleshoot?

P.S. Maybe I shrank the pictures too much... I guess we'll see when I hit POST!

Thanks!
Davina
06-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
All Pentax DSLRs have always had the SAME size sensor.
He's talking about the MP size, as everyone else knows.

I think the limiting thing is the lens. I had an "OK" 50-200 on the K100D, but it was only "fair" on the K20D.