Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 04:33 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x AF motor spinning

I just had a huge fright with my K-x. When I switched it on today it would not autofocus at all. The AF motor just kept spinning, like it wasn't getting any traction on the lens. On the DA L 18-55 kit lens, it seemed like it got traction but was slipping and kept spinning, moving the focus bit by bit until focus was achieved. I switched round to my 55-300 and it just spinned, getting no traction at all. So I took it off, wiped all the metal contacts, poked around a bit around the lens mount and put on the 18-55 again. Still no luck.

I then switched off the camera and turned the focus ring on the lens this way and that way while in the AF mode. When I switched on again, things were back to normal, with my 55-300 as well. Huge sigh of relief, because I'm sitting on an subantarctic island, with no ways of sending the camera in for repairs. I don't know what could have caused this, as the camera was still working fine yesterday and just sat on a shelf until I picked it up today.

Any idea what could cause this to happen? Do you think the problem will return? Should I buy a new camera and get it sent down with the next ship?

06-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was also wondering if the problem would show up on a Sigma 17-70 OS HSM. Does the in-body screw drive motor still turn or is there some other mechanism to drive the in-lens focus motor?
06-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter

i think the focus clutch freezed up. try giggling the AF-MF switch

it's quite possible that this can happen again, and if it does, i'd check the circumstances on why it happened.

how cold is it where you're using the camera?

i've used my k10 and sigma 17-70 in 20 degree F weather and the focus went crazy. back in 70 degree weather, it started behaving again.

a new kx body may not necessarily help.
K7's are supposed to be rated to work at lower temperatures, but not the kx.

HTH
06-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

in-body screw drive should NOT turn on an HSM equipped sigma
the 17-70 i used was the old screw-driven version