Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bizarre K20D operation

Hey guys, last night my K20D went really crazy just wondering if anyone has had similar, thankfully I fixed it.

Was using manual mode with adaptall 35-80mm with the manual (non P/KA adapter) don't recall doing anything strange.

After one shot that turned out really strange, i noticed image count for card was like 3500 instead of 400 so i checked in the menu and it had set to 1.6MP and greyed out the selection menu!

I then noticed I couldn't select a shutter speed slower than 1/25th, powered down and back up - stayed the same. Swapped lens out for my kit one, stuck it into AV and no matter how dark in front of the lens wouldn't go below 1/25th again or in manual still 1.6MP. Tried it without my 4gig SD card in to see if that would help, nope.

so I swapped out the battery for a spare that was charged, really hoping it would fix it - no fix! so I was a bit peeved and starting to panic, I tried last resort of factory reset in the menus and viola! back to normal

The first battery was really low (0 indication) on the camera, I wonder what went wrong - I checked the contacts when I took the manual lens off to make sure none were stuck or blocked on the mount - all clean.

I thought possibly the tamron lens had turned on the adaptall mount while on the camera but i'm not sure if that would've done it.

06-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Most likely it was simply the battery being low. It caused a software glitch. That's why the reset button is there. Did you turn off the camera when changing lenses and batteries? I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again with a fresh battery. It's also very likely that the adaptal mount cause an odd short in the lens contacts.
06-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you in burst mode? I think that limits the camera to 1.6MPx and shoots around 22fps (meaning you would have to be faster than 1/25 for it to work. And that would increase your picture count by a lot.
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes burst mode would certainly explain it, but I wasn't in burst mode unless my face managed to mash into the menu and change it somehow - good thinking though! It also displayed my preview image, but for much less time than the default 1sec this was a split second, and very fast almost simultaneous to pressing the shutter. I haven't tried burst mode since I very first got the camera, bit of a novelty I'd almost forgotten about it!

All is well anyhow

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 06-28-2010 at 07:34 PM.