Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #1

Pentax K-x endurance in bulb mode ?:)

Hi guys
i am about to get Pentax K-x.But there i must know how long can K-x work in Bulb mode,cuz i am a biiiiiiiig fan of long exposure photos of stars.... does anyone knows :?

06-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until the battery dies You won't have any trouble taking star shots as long as you've got a sturdy tripod and an IR remote or cable release!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You'll need an IR remote in the case of the K-x, cable release is not an option!
06-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
yes i know for the tripod and for the remote control but it will be useless to buy K-x if with the best batteries it will endure only 10 or 20 minutes ... i'll enjoy taking pictures with exposures about 1 hour or something like that that is why i am wondering about the endurance of the camera in bulb mode.

p.s. - it would be so great if k-x could support a battery grip ....

06-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Get a K-7 if you want a grip

The k-x should be able to last for several hours in bulb mode- just make sure SR is always off when on a tripod.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
i know about the remote control and the tripod but i need to take photos with ~1 hour exposure and if k-x can only endure ~10-20 minutes with the best batteries ... is useless to buy it ... that why my question is how long can k-x can work in bulb mode not how to take photos in bulb mode thank you guys anyway..
06-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I doubt anyone really knows the answer to the question about specifically how long the batteries will last, other than "a while"... a bigger concern will be sensor overheating. There is a distinct possibility the overheating for an hour could actually damage the sensor. Hour or hours-long sky photos generally require digital sensors which are cooled. I suggest you do a google search for "long exposure with digital slrs"

Mike

06-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can also purchase the AC adapter for the Kx if you're worried about batteries running out.
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think this long thread would more than answer your question -

K-x is king for long exposures and astrophotography!