Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

That is so irritating

When I'm using the K-x at night, I hate it when the rear display randomly will turn itself back on and blind me from the viewfinder. I know pressing the info button turns it off, but for some reason after I press the shutter it comes back on again.

Any way around this?

06-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
menu->3->Instant Review->Display Time->Off
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

IIRC, by default, when you power off your camera it will forget what display setting you used.
You have to enable display memory first (not available on the K7, could you believe it???), it will then remember your preference each time you power off/on.

It's in Menu Rec 4 -> Memory -> Display.
06-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Lots of folks ask this, so this is what I posted here shortly after I got my K-x and was annoyed by the same thing as the OP:
QuoteQuote:
how to turn everything off on the K-x's display so stuff wasn't always flashing me in the face.

When I now start the K-x up, I get a blank screen at the back by default. When I shoot an image, no annoying instant review image comes up, nor anything else either. The power on LED on top of the camera is also off all the time, and there is also nothing displayed when I change mode dial settings.

To turn off the back display status screen under capture mode, press the INFO button until you get a blank screen. It will stay blank until you turn the camera off or press another button.

To have the camera start up with a blank status screen, make the screen blank by pressing the INFO button until the screen is blank, then go into the Menu, page 4, and under 'Memory', go to p2 and make sure the 'Shooting Info Display' item is ticked. Then exit the Menu and restart the camera. You will then always start up to a blank status screen.

To turn off the Instant Review, goto Menu, p3 and turn off 'Instant Review'.

To turn off the top LED, go to the Custom Menu, Item 20, and set the 'Power lamp' to off.

To turn off the Mode Dial guide display as you change shooting modes, go into Menu > Settings > Guide Display, and set it to Off.

It took me a while to figure this all out, but now the camera is completely dark until I want it to show something.

06-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
To have the camera start up with a blank status screen, make the screen blank by pressing the INFO button until the screen is blank, then go into the Menu, page 4, and under 'Memory', go to p2 and make sure the 'Shooting Info Display' item is ticked. Then exit the Menu and restart the camera. You will then always start up to a blank status screen.
Problem is that if you press info so as to display the screen, then power off the camera, it will remember this and start with the Shooting Info screen on next time...

I think that it can be solved this way:
- set the 'Shooting Info Display' memory flag
- disabling the info screen
- power off/on (to save the 'Shooting Info Display' state)
- reset the 'Shooting Info Display' memory flag so it won't be updated anymore.

Now it should be off on start, regardless of what you did before...
I'll try this tonight...
06-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try Canon again?
06-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Try Canon again?
Hah, literally the only thing I miss from my Rebel XSI