Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Tight lens mounting on K10D

I just purchased a K10D, 21mm, and 40mm pancake lenses.

The lens seem to both fit very tightly as I am mounting them.

I cleaned the camera, and lens mounts, but no improvement.

Is this typical???

Please advise.

Martin

08-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #2

What do you mean tight ? They should fit firmly in the bayonet.
Aling the red dot on the lens with the red dot on the body, press and turn clockwise facing the body until you hear (feel) the <click>. Are you saying that you need to apply more pressure while rotating ?
08-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes. There is some (excessive?) force needed to turn the lens as it mounts.

I have Canon, and Minolta bodies, and the lens seems to require more force to mount.

Martin
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully you purchased them at a local camera store. I'd take em in and have em checked out. Even if you didn't but local, find a good store and go in with the gear and grovel a little. They'll probably check em out and even compare other bodies/lenses. I don't have either of those lenses, but there shouldn't be any "force" needed to mount them. Something is WRONG!

08-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I have the K10D, 40mm pancake, and 50mm A mount. The DA 40 is definitely stiffer to put on and off than the older lens.

The DA 40 also is stiffer than I recall my DA 16-45mm being on my K100D. Since I no longer have these, I can't do a direct comparison between lenses and bodies.

Regards,
Daryl
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA 40 and K10D, and its definately the tightest fitting lens compared to my two sigma zooms and an A-50mm. Perhaps this reflects the higher quality control on the limited lenses.
08-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I thought that somehow the dimensions of the lens mount, and camera mount were off.

Will check with a demo body to see if it is the same tightness is encountered.

Thanks again.

Martin

08-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by martin s Quote
I just purchased a K10D, 21mm, and 40mm pancake lenses. The lens seem to both fit very tightly as I am mounting them. I cleaned the camera, and lens mounts, but no improvement. Is this typical??? Please advise.

I've noticed many lenses fit very tightly on the K10D. If you're overly concerned about it, go to Radio Shack (or other electronics store) and purchase a small can of lubricant designed for electrical contact switches (often simply called "contact spray"). Put a tiny amount on a Q-tip and apply very sparingly (barely visible) along the surface and threads of the mount. Your lenses will then mount much easier afterwards. By the way, this is exactly what Pentax would do if you sent it in for repair complaining about tight fiting lenses.

Do not use any other form of lubricant (WD-40, oils, etc) in this area since they might harm the mount's electrical connections or attract unwanted, abrasive, dirt and dust. In a few months, your lenses will fit much better on their own and you can wipe off any lubricant remaining on the mount. In the meantime, keep your fingers off the mount so you don't spread the lubricant elsewhere on your equipment (once dry, it's not going to spread much anyway).

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-13-2007 at 03:28 PM.
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you Stewart.

I will purchase the contact spray since I feel that all that stress on the mount might alter the fit of lenses in th future.

Again thanks to all of you for the advice. This seems to be a very helpful forum.

Martin
08-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far no problems here. If anything, my Sigma 50-500 is a bit loose when it is mounted. I was concerned about that but it seems to work fine.