Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

More than 60 new DxO Optics Correction Modules - none of which are Pentax

More than 60 new DxO Optics Correction Modules

Does this bother anyone else... I think it's a fantastic technology, but for Pentax users it's incredibly limited.

Here's the full list... about 2,000 combinations, of which about 40, yes, one fifth of one percent, are Pentax:

http://www.dxo.com/var/dxo/storage/fckeditor/File/photo/modules/DxO_Optics_modules.pdf

06-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Their new roadmap includes lots of Pentax modules. I posted a thread about it a few 2-3 hours ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/106185-new-dxo-modules...ml#post1093289

It does bother me, however, that they haven't shown much interest in Pentax, all the more since I switched from K200d to K-x, which isn't supported (yet). But the new roadmap gives me some reason to hope.
06-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not unless Pentax becomes a major player again in the camera business will third party companies support them.
If you have a low customer base, then these companies would not make too much money either since your customers are negligible.
This is actually a vicious cycle since for other users, they are looking for support, but since for Pentax there is limited support, then they will look to buy something else.
With that, the low customer base of Pentax doesn't grow.
Canon has such a large customer base that all of the other companies want to ride on their success such that they can get a share of that customer base too.
This was true in the old days when Pentax was king, so you will see different companies making different items compatible for Pentax.
Now, let us hope that the K-x brings in sales for Pentax that third party companies would notice and start making things for Pentax again.
06-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There is some mystery about their body/lens module prioritization process.

I think it is naive to believe it is based on simple things like camera marketshare. I mean they are still putting out modules for ancient Nikon bodies and obscure, low-selling Sony and Olympus bodies too. Pentax represents way more than 0.2% of the DSLR marketplace by a long shot, and Europe is a good market for Pentax.

Politics and money are probably behind DXO dragging the chain on Pentax support.

I'm sure if Pentax wined and dined DXO Labs a little bit more, more Pentax lenses and bodies would miraculously end up being supported by DXO Optics Pro.

It will be very interesting indeed to see what DXO do about supporting the 645D once it comes to market, btw. They seem to love to support high-end gear like that (eg Leaf, Aplus, Hasselblad, Leica), even though it involves them selling probably only a miniscule number of DXO OPtics Pro software licenses.

06-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Their new roadmap includes lots of Pentax modules. I posted a thread about it a few 2-3 hours ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/106185-new-dxo-modules...ml#post1093289

It does bother me, however, that they haven't shown much interest in Pentax, all the more since I switched from K200d to K-x, which isn't supported (yet). But the new roadmap gives me some reason to hope.
Great to see some additions in the pipeline.

BUT

No K-x, after many reviews voting it the best entry-level DSLR is nuts!
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Now, let us hope that the K-x brings in sales for Pentax that third party companies would notice and start making things for Pentax again.
Indeed!
06-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm sure if Pentax wined and dined DXO Labs a little bit more, more Pentax lenses and bodies would miraculously end up being supported by DXO Optics Pro.

It will be very interesting indeed to see what DXO do about supporting the 645D once it comes to market, btw. They seem to love to support high-end gear like that (eg Leaf, Aplus, Hasselblad, Leica), even though it involves them selling probably only a miniscule number of DXO OPtics Pro software licenses.
100% correct.

I was also thinking that it is the FAILURE of Pentax to get their products in front of the kingmakers in digital photography that is contributing to their market share.

Hoya, if you're listening, get some decent marketing.

Pentax has been a the main camera advertiser here in Hong Kong for the World Cup. I'm pleased to see that, but it's a waste of time and money compared to getting golden samples out to the big reviewers.

Cameralabs told me they don't review Pentax any more. They want to, but haven't access to equipment. They don't have the same problem with any other manufacturer.

The heart of the issue lies with Japan, but the US needs its share of blame.

There is no excuse for Pentax to not have delivered every current body and every current lens to DxO.
07-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I guess more votes for the addition of K-x modules through DxO's online solicitation form will help--it seems to have been useful for the other bodies. The problem with K-x is that, although lots of people have bought it, many K-x users are jpeg shooters (I imagine most just replaced their old point'n'shoot with a dslr) with no interest in buying PP software--or, if they are interested, they are too fresh in the dslr world to have heard of DxO and its benefits.
Here's the form you can use to ask DxO to add more Pentax stuff:
http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/support/modules/availability/pb_availability

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Great to see some additions in the pipeline.

BUT

No K-x, after many reviews voting it the best entry-level DSLR is nuts!

Last edited by causey; 07-03-2010 at 02:23 AM.
07-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #9

PEOPLE! we don't need any dumb DxO correction modules.

Don't feel bad about it - feel lucky Pentax users aren't clogged up with stupid gimmicky software. Now lets get taking beautiful pictures.
07-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisrussell Quote
PEOPLE! we don't need any dumb DxO correction modules.
PEOPLE! We don't need no stinking combustion engines! What's wrong with a horse?

DxO is amazing. As long as you have the resolution, it'll fix all the other failings of your lenses.
07-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If DxO does what it says on the tin, it turns a small Tamron $600 28-300 lens into something BETTER than a huge $2,400 Canon 28-300 lens.

This is disruptive change.
07-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

K7 is supported with "the power couple", DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. Also the DA12-24, DFA 50 macro, the 18-250 (though it only lists the Samsung and Tamron branded versions, kinda odd), plus several kit lenses. I'd say that's a pretty good start. Km/K2000, K10, K20, K200 all supported with same lenses.

Last edited by DogLover; 07-01-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added other bodies
07-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
K7 is supported with "the power couple", DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. Also the DA12-24, DFA 50 macro, the 18-250 (though it only lists the Samsung and Tamron branded versions, kinda odd), plus several kit lenses. I'd say that's a pretty good start. Km/K2000, K10, K20, K200 all supported with same lenses.
I commend your glass-half-full attitude!