Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

K7 Question

Greetings all.

I'm glad to jump on the Pentax dSLR bandwagon after many fond memories of using the K1000 for archaeological field work + reading good reviews of the K7. I have a quick k7 question--

I just got a K7 in the mail from Adorama. Haven't even finished charging the battery so I haven't powered it up yet. There is something loose in the body that I can feel move when I tilt the camera back and forth--similar experiences? Possible defect, or what?

06-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Filson Quote
Greetings all.

I'm glad to jump on the Pentax dSLR bandwagon after many fond memories of using the K1000 for archaeological field work + reading good reviews of the K7. I have a quick k7 question--

I just got a K7 in the mail from Adorama. Haven't even finished charging the battery so I haven't powered it up yet. There is something loose in the body that I can feel move when I tilt the camera back and forth--similar experiences? Possible defect, or what?
Not a defect, completely normal. Check the beginners forum stickies where this discussed, at length.

Welcome to the Club!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/94122-beginners...lr-camera.html

06-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!
06-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Bottom of p. 15 in the manual. Yes, I am reading the whole thing on .pdf while I wait for mine to arrive tomorrow...

06-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Well, Waddaya know!! There it is...

It should be plastered with a big yellow sticker on the outside of the box..

06-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clunking is normal,have fun waiting for charging to finish. The longest 5 hours,almost drove me mad.
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Clunking is normal,have fun waiting for charging to finish. The longest 5 hours,almost drove me mad.
Other than a damaged product, I am dreading this part the most.

06-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Filson Quote
Greetings all.

Welcome to the forum and congrat for the K-7.

Adam already answered your query about the clunky noise.

Once powered, check your firmware version. It should be 1.03. Update it if required (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/90655-new-firmware-pentax-k-7-1-03-a.html).

And enjoy the K-7.

Like you, I choose the K-7 to do some field works, in rivers and estuaries in my case. The WR and metallic body are some solid features of the K-7. I enjoy very much the K-7 and I hope that you will do the same....
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If the initial charge of the battery takes less than 5 hours... I get worry as it might have been used before. So, it is a good sign that the battery is spanking new. Have fun with the K7, and I know I do.
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K-7 battery has very good capacity for still photos, just be aware it takes a long time to recharge if fully drained. Videos drain the battery pretty fast.

For a serious user, one of the first accessories you should get is either a battery grip or spare battery.
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats Filson! I got mine at Adorama just a couple days ago, and I registered on this forum to ask the same question. Oddly enough, your thread was the first I read. I am very relieved. Though I still find that heavy shifting around sensation disconcerting. (the sound it makes hardly registers on my old ears at all)

So I gather from the other thread that the clunk is a common phenomenon to all Pentaxes with shake reduction? I was wondering if all that movement (for example, if you subjected the camera to a lot of vibration, like in the trunk of a car) might bode ill for the long-term life of the camera.

I am loving the camera so far, but I have to get my hands on a better lens. The kit zoom is adequate, but I only got it for the sake of the WR. I burned through my first (almost six hour) battery charge pretty fast, because I was using the flash a lot.

Now back to the manual, with a fine-tooth comb! I completely missed the bit on page 15. I agree, this clunk business should be on a sticker on the box, or even better, noted at the start of the Quick Guide.

Thanks to all who answer such questions so helpfully (even and especially when the same questions get asked repeatedly!) I am sure I will have plenty to ask about...
07-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The K-7 battery has very good capacity for still photos, just be aware it takes a long time to recharge if fully drained. Videos drain the battery pretty fast.

For a serious user, one of the first accessories you should get is either a battery grip or spare battery.
Absolutely correct, both a grip and a second battery and there goes another 5 hours or so. Good thing the grip can be loaded with Eneloops.