Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A single K7 or a K-x and K20/10d for winter sports

Hi everyone, I tried to hold off from signing up as long as I could because I knew I would spend more time on here than healthy, but this question was too specific to google:

I love taking pictures and video equally, and both of those converge with my all time favorite hobby of snowboarding. I've sold all my old standard definition video gear except my K-x and am looking to start fresh, my current budget only gives me two options:

Sell the K-x and buy a K7
or
Buy a K20d (preferred) or K10d body in addition to the K-x

and the 18-55 and 50-200 wr lenses for either option.

I prefer the 2 camera system so I can retain the positives attributes of the K-x while obtaining a weatherproof camera body that I can still use even when the snow really starts to come down. However the lack of video on the Kxxd series makes me worry that I'll miss shots, can the K-x take the cold and the dumping snow in a pinch if I put a wr lens on it?

I don't want to get a dedicated video camera again because I'd use a video dslr much more

Anyone have any thoughts? it would greatly appreciated

06-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For winter sports, I would personnally go for a WR camera and I would definitely not take the K-x.

I think that K-7 is particularly renown for its solidity and it might be an excellent option with a couple of WR lenses. The K20d would also be a nice alternative, but I would keep the K-x at home (or sale it).
06-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For winter sports, I would personnally go for a WR camera and I would definitely not take the K-x.

I think that K-7 is particularly renown for its solidity and it might be an excellent option with a couple of WR lenses. The K20d would also be a nice alternative, but I would keep the K-x at home (or sale it).
Well after seeing "The Rider" on youtube, I don't think the video side of me would ever be able to forgive the video side of me for not bringing an HD camera to the mountain so the K7 seems the way to go.

Thank you for the red flag on the K-x, that's the kind of input I was looking for

I'm temped to keep the K-x and buy a K7, I would use them more than they kidney I sold to keep both of them
06-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do not get a K20D for fast-paced sports. The K-7 (don't know about K-x) is significantly faster at AF.

I have used both for photographing rugby and I get more keepers with the K-7.

06-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow I didn't know that the K20d had slow autofocus, thanks for the warning.

I'm actually going to buy the K7 in a few hours after I read some more reviews, it was an easy enough decision to buy it, now the hard part is giving up the K-x and it's high iso performance