Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The strange case of the dissapearing focus points.

Recently, the focus confirmation center point of my K-7 has started to be very mischievous, sometimes appearing, sometimes not. Yesterday it disappeared altogether and took its mates, top center point and bottom center point with it. The left hand and right hand, and outer points all work as before. (Obviously they aren't the run away from home types.)

All very strange.

I happened to be going to C.R. Kennedy's (Australian Pentax Distributor) to pick something up, so I showed my camera to the guy behind the service counter. He had a fiddle and a play, then smiled and shrugged his shoulders and handed it back to me.

It's not vital to have the red dot, the focus confirmation beep is still there, and I use center focus 90% of the time, so I know which focus point is being used. but it's a little disconcerting when things start to go wrong with camera's.

The question is, should I send it back under warranty and pine for my camera for weeks, or do I just do as the service guy did and just shrug and smile?

06-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

By fiddle and play, do you mean he opened up the camera? I'd be pissed if that were the case

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do the actual AF point selection and AF function as normal ?

You can verify the AF point selected on the rear LCD.

If its just the focus confirmation lights, its only an annoyance, really your choice whether you want to repair it.
I personally don't care whether the lights are there or not, and all the K-X users shoot without it.

If the actual focus point selection is failing (as in some points don't work at all if selected) you have a real problem with your AF system's electronics, and you definitely need to get it fixed.
07-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi wizofoz,

I think I'd live with it until just before the end of the warranty, then notify Pentax and send it in. . . but I just realized that also thinking in terms of the seasons here in the US. If you shoot less in the winter (I do), then I'd send it in -- you should get a general checkup and cleaning included at the same time without any charge. . . malfunctioning LEDs in the VF overlay (sounds like a loose connection -- they shouldn't ever burn out) might point to further problems that might crop up in the future, and even if this is not the case, and things stay the same, it will negatively effect the resale value.

Scott

07-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely send it in. This is why we have warrenties. I have heard of cameras having faulty AF points (but not many). I know it will be hard but you can live without a camera for a few weeks (I say that having never been without my camera though).
07-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The focus point in my K-x disappeared completely. Should I send it in?

Last edited by GeneV; 07-01-2010 at 02:00 AM.
07-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Absolutely, trade it in for a K-7.
07-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
By fiddle and play, do you mean he opened up the camera? I'd be pissed if that were the case

No Adam, he just fiddled with the switches. I don't think he was all that interested. He was more concerned that the repaired DA* 50-135 that I was there to collect had a SDM failure right in front of him. I had sent it to Japan for repairs (I dropped it. Not a good idea folks.) And after months of delay it was finally ready to be collected.

I got hold of the lens, connected it to the K-7 and the SDM worked once then failed, as he was watching. I think he thought focus lamps to be a little less of an issue. The lens is headed back to the land of Nippon.

07-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Do the actual AF point selection and AF function as normal ?

You can verify the AF point selected on the rear LCD.

If its just the focus confirmation lights, its only an annoyance, really your choice whether you want to repair it.
I personally don't care whether the lights are there or not, and all the K-X users shoot without it.

If the actual focus point selection is failing (as in some points don't work at all if selected) you have a real problem with your AF system's electronics, and you definitely need to get it fixed.

Kitty, all works fine, except for the red lights. When I look on the info screen after taking a shot, I can see which FP has been used.

I might just live with it being that way.
07-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Snostorm, Kxblaze. I'm not sure I could live without it for the weeks/months it may take. Given my experience with the 50-135 taking months to get back to me (see above) I'm not sure I trust them. I should have asked if they can fix it here or if they have to send this off to Japan as well.
09-07-2010, 02:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, well, well. After several months of going without the centre focus points, I put my kenko P/AF 2x tc back on the K-7 the other day, and hey presto! the focus points have re-appeared!!

I think they went on holiday to the TC, a strange and foreign land. They seem to have decided 'there's no place like home' and have returned to the fold. Interestiger, and interestinger.

Do any technical boffins out there have any idea what's going on?