Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #1

Portrait photography

Hello Guys,

I need some advices about some points

I have 500$ budget (for now) and have intention to buy K-X (I love the white one)

1. If I buy K-x will it be enough for semi-pro, semi-amateur portrait/modelish photography at the beginning (I guess no, but your expert ideas is important) (this is for learning period)

2. Later, can I buy a suitable telephoto and wide-angel lenses, flashes, etc for k-X in order to take portrait shots? (this will be more for business period)

Everybody around me is a canon or nikon fan, and they say there are more interchangeable lenses for canon/nikon. But i love Pentax!

3. Instead of a brand new K-X, buying a second hand K7 is more rational for my purpose?

4. Any other recommendations are more than welcome

Thanks!
Kashmir

Last edited by Kashmir; 07-01-2010 at 03:44 AM.
07-01-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The kx is more than up to your purposes. Remember the thing that makes the difference is not really the camera, but the lenses that you put on it. There are an awful lot of lenses out there for Pentax, but the cheapest ones will be manual focus. Nikon and Canon both have some cheap lenses, but for the nicest ones with VR/IS, expect to pay a lot.
07-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Like Rondec said, the K-x will do you fine. You may even want to consider picking up a used K20D to get a little more camera for your buck.

Does your $500.00 budget include lenses?
07-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Canon/Nikon have more new lenses available, and more likely at some place near you, so you can see/touch/rent before you buy, than Pentax.

But it's not the tools, it's the workman. A K-x can work. Depending on your style of shooting, it may not be ideal. Lack of focus points in the VF are problematic for some. And if your total starting budget is $500, as noahpurdy said, you might get more bang for your initial buck with a used K10/K20 and a 17-50 2.8 zoom, or a 50/1.4 prime.

07-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kashmir Quote
Hello Guys,

I need some advices about some points

I have 500$ budget (for now) and have intention to buy K-X (I love the white one)

1. If I buy K-x will it be enough for semi-pro, semi-amateur portrait/modelish photography at the beginning (I guess no, but your expert ideas is important) (this is for learning period)
The K-x is worth a lot more than people tend to think, based on its marketing towards entry-level DSLR users. It's an excellent camera and takes fantastic pictures and will give you much more than you think

QuoteQuote:
2. Later, can I buy a suitable telephoto and wide-angel lenses, flashes, etc for k-X in order to take portrait shots? (this will be more for business period)
Sure - new and professional quality autofocus lenses, third party lenses of varying quality (don't discount the third party lenses with high ratings, they're often less expensive and yet excellent quality), 20 or 30 year old old manual lenses that have beautiful character, color, sharpness, contrast etc.

Do you plan on buying a 2 lens kit for your K-x? If you keep an eye out here for used or if you keep an eye out for the Amazon Warehouse Deals that come up daily, you can find a 2 lens kit for between 500-600 easily. The kit lenses are more capable than you might imagine. The 18-55 stopped down a bit is quite a nice lens and the 55-300 has been picking up a reputation as taking much better pictures than the cost would indicate Here's an entire thread with photos from the 18-55 kit lens - some gorgeous stuff in there! And here's a thread for the DA Zoom lenses with a lot of shots from the 55-300 (as well as the other kit option the 50-200, which isn't quite as impressive)

The 2 lens K-x set is remarkably versatile and will serve you well without going out and spending thousands on lenses For semi-pro modeling are there better lenses you could/should get? Absolutely. But you won't be starting with nothing, you'll be starting with good lenses that have a lot of potential to get you from here to there

Last edited by Ecaterin; 07-01-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: 'cause I can never remember which lenses have the 50 or 55! :D
07-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Remember the thing that makes the difference is not really the camera, but the lenses that you put on it.

Well, that helps, but it's really the photographer.

As far as Canon and Nikon having more lenses... that is sort of silly in one way (lots of old m42 for Pentax), but also true for long lenses (fairly useless for portraits).
07-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

IMHO the person standing behind the camera is more important than the camera itself.

QuoteQuote:
2. Everybody around me is a canon or nikon fan, and they say there are more interchangeable lenses for canon/nikon.
The funny thing about interchangeable lenses is you can only use one at a time. Pentax's range of lenses is more than sufficient to cover the needs of the vast majority of photographers. (Again, IMHO)
07-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
yes there are some packets that include 18-55mm lenses,
thanks for yr comments, I will look at also a second hand k20d. Yes 500$ include lenses, but later I can buy other lenses

lack of a focus point in viewfinder is a little awful, right?

07-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Most people never use them anyhow. Only the small minority who actually rely on them and have tried the alternate methods for focusing used by the majority and know for sure that they can't work that way would be bothered.
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Not in the least - I switched from a K10 to my K-x and didn't even miss them Here's a thread with discussions about the issues K-x buyers get flustered over....but don't need to :P
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

yes there are some packets that include 18-55mm lenses,
thanks for yr comments, I will look at also a second hand k20d. Yes 500$ include lenses, but later I can buy other lenses

Lack of focus point in the viewfinder doesn't seem like too much of a killer to me. I could live without it, if I had a K-x. I don't have the hard facts, but seems like a lot of people just use the center auto-focus point all the time and then recompose if necessary.

Your $500 budget means you will probably be restricted to the K-x body and a kit lens (just one though), which is fine for learning. A quick Google search and I see that K-x plus 18-55mm lens start as low as $475.
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #12

taking portraits is a tall order. taking pictures of people is much more difficult than taking pictures of trees, or, say, cars. My advice would be to start to educate yourself looking at some really good portrait photographers. Here are a few of my personal favorites:
Gregory Heisler, Dan Winters...Go and google them and see where that takes you

See for yourself what it is what they bring out in their subjects to show in photos. Equipment is important too, but I think that getting to know your subjects is really important too. As I said, people are not cars, we have feelings.

Just my 2 cents.
All best, losta luck.

P.S. And yes, K-x is good enough to start. In buying new stuff, I would go in the direction of lighting (flash, lightbox, umrellas etc), not lens.
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe.
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yes, I saw also that K-x plus 18-55mm lens are around $475.

Thanks Kbyora, I will google for Gregory Heisler and Dan .

A small additional question:

what is the professional camera (of Pentax) and lense type ( type and mm, filters etc.) for shooting models,portraits?? (Besides lightining gears, tripod and background studio pics etc),

I would like to know for my info
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

K-7 is the top of line camera. The most popular current portrait lenses from Pentax are DA*50-135, FA50, DA*55, DA70, FA77, and D-FA 100 Macro. Also some third party lenses like the Sigma 70 Macro, the Tamron 90mm Macro, and the manual 85mm lens from Samyang sold under a zillion different names on Ebay. Lots and lotf of popular older manual lenses too.