Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Where too from K10D

Hi, Im sure there are a lot of experienced photograpghers that can help me here. I have had my K10D for two and a half years and would like to upgrade and Keep my K10D as well. Is it a bad time to me looking at a K20D or K7 with rumours of a new model on the horizon. I like the idea of video as the I missed a lot of oportunities to capture some memories when in Samoa last month. Im off to Tonga in August so could hopefully pick up something by then, I love landscape and postcard type photography. I want to match the camera with my Pentax FA*80-200 .Weight doesnt worry me too much. With the K7 being out for a while now someone might have some feedback.
Thanks
John

07-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I would wait until September when the new information comes out. Also, the K-7 may drop a lot in price near the end of the year depending on the release of the replacements. You could always pick up a new lens for your trip.
07-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, That makes sense. Probable a wise move even .
John
07-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #4

You're welcome. My brother also has a K10 and he has no intentions on replacing it; a great camera. Also, I missed your mention of taking video. You could always get a cheap camera to do that, if you want to post to YouTube. I don't know anything about dedicated camcorders though.

07-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had the K-7 borrowed for few days and it is a great camera. The only problem remains that the K-x had shown us how the K-7 could be even better in some regards.
If my K10D would have break down tomorrow, I'd buy K-7 without hesitation. But in present situation I can afford to wait.
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot with K100d for 3 years, went and got K-7 with the grip, despite the new model coming out soon.
No regrets, this thing is awesome. If the new model proves to be way better than K7, then I will just have to find the funds and get it.
Also, now i can afford to wait and let other people work out the ins and outs of a new model.
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I tend to buy one model behind the newest thing, anyway. I'm looking forward to the K-8, so I can try a K-7.

07-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To try K-7 is like to try Glock 17, iinstant love, the way it fits in the hand.
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
To try K-7 is like to try Glock 17, iinstant love, the way it fits in the hand.
Oh, yes. Often overlooked in all the talk about AF speed, FPS, High ISO performance is the camera's ergonomics - how it fits in the hand, how the finger controls are laid out.
If you are a frequent user, its an important point.
The K-7's just superb
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Hi, Im sure there are a lot of experienced photograpghers that can help me here. I have had my K10D for two and a half years and would like to upgrade and Keep my K10D as well. Is it a bad time to me looking at a K20D or K7 with rumours of a new model on the horizon. I like the idea of video as the I missed a lot of oportunities to capture some memories when in Samoa last month. Im off to Tonga in August so could hopefully pick up something by then, I love landscape and postcard type photography. I want to match the camera with my Pentax FA*80-200 .Weight doesnt worry me too much. With the K7 being out for a while now someone might have some feedback.
Thanks
John
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
I would wait until September when the new information comes out. Also, the K-7 may drop a lot in price near the end of the year depending on the release of the replacements. You could always pick up a new lens for your trip.
Being off to Tonga in August kind of negates waiting to see what Might be on the horizon in September. Right now, the K7 is a proven camera and frankly, I wouldn't want to completely trust a Brand new model without some lead time. There hasn't been a model released that didn't have some bugs right out of the gate and it seems to take Pentax at least a month to issue a fix, If they do at all. I'm all for wait and see but it's wait and see on the NEW models.

Re Video... On an 8Gb (30Mb/sec) you can get about 8-10 minutes of HD video. Without an external mic, the sound is single channel only. AF is disabled, you can have it auto-select aperture or you can keep it fixed (or go full manual with your FA*). It is nice to have for the quick capture of the moment or a moving and audio record of something. The best feature of it of course is the ability to use the Pentax lenses. Trust me, I use to scoff at this feature, even (sort of) when I bought the camera but it's nice to have once in awhile. It certainly beats the hell out of carrying 2 cameras if stills are your main interest.

As for the price, I wouldn't bet on any deep price drops right away. It may decrease by some but the asking price for a K20d, is still in the $500+ range ($720 at Amazon), a year after it was 'replaced'.

Point is, if you want the camera and your piggy bank is fat enough, Buy it. Learn to use it, and 2 or 3 cycles hence, replace it with whatever you want to buy then.

07-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I upgraded from the K10D to the K-7. It's a big change in some regards, less in others. For your type of photography, I don't know if it would be a huge difference. Things like frame rate, AF speed, size, high ISO and shutter noise might not matter so much, whereas I found these changes very useful. The improved viewfinder and extra megapixels might help but I don't know if that's enough of a change for your own shooting to warrant the upgrade? I agree with others that the K-7 ergonomics are great.

I don't use video, but of course the K-7 gives you that option as well.
07-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everone fot your input, it is much apreciated. I now need to weigh up what I want to do. I could Keep using my K10D and fill a gap in my lens range and wait a while to see what the next camera out is like.
Regards.
John
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Glad I came across this thread. I came to the boards specifically to find some posts, questions, answers regarding upgrading from a K10 to a K7. I've had my K7 for 3 1/2 years. I love that camera. I will be starting to do weddings next year (First one is scheduled and second shooting for my brothers wedding as well) So I really need a second camera body. and well, as you all know, sometimes you just want to upgrade, especially after 3 1/2 years. But, I'm nervous it will be hard to transition to a smaller body and the controls in different spots. I wish there was somewhere local that sold Pentax that I could go and try it out. But We looked a lot and we would have to order it in, just like we did my K10. The one thing I wish my K10 did better in low light. So I'm anxious to try out the K 7. I'm also curious if I should just go for the K20 instead, and save a few $$ but really I'm leaning towards a K7, even if a newer model comes out in the fall. (I'm very curious to hear about that though)

anway, I'm of no help at all to you, but I"m kind of in the same shoes as you. I won't decide right away. and in the mean time, I will continue to use my K 10 unless by any chance I should happen to schedule a wedding sooner than my one for next year. I kind of wish that woudl happen, then I'd have an excuse to go out and buy the K7 now instead of waiting!
07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It is a very difficult decision. If you have a grip for the K10D, you can reuse it in the K20D as well as the batteries. If video is a very important point for you, then K7 is your camera. Now for a used one there is only $200 difference between the two.
07-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP: Getting a k20 would allow you to have familiar controls and your accessories will work with it too which could save you some $. I've also heard that the k20 is just a tiny bit better at higher iso than the k7.

But... the k7, in my opinion, is a better camera. The viewfinder gives you a 100 % view, it focuses faster, it's metering is better, it's easier and less fatiguing to hold, the back screen rocks (bigger brighter and more detailed), the shutter sound is so much less intrusive (very valuable for quiet events like churches or speeches and doesn't draw attention when shooting candids), and has other handy tools (leveling function, video, built in focus lamp). I still use my k10 for low light low iso shooting, so it's still valuable to have around, but for most other purposes, the k7 is my go to camera.