Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
uh oh...possibly another k10d problem...

So i let my sister and bro-in-law borrow my k10d and finally got it back today. Im not saying this problem was any fault of theirs but it is a little suspect. So here's the issue.

My camera appears to be able to focus DA lenses fine but not my FA 50 1.7 or my friend's F 50mm 1.7. When I mount the FA or F lens, it just "clicks" and makes a small crunch sound. When i turn the focusing ring on an FA and F lens, i can hear a click and feel clicks/crunch when mounted to the k10d. This doesnt happen with DA lenses.

Now in comparison, the FA and F lenses have a much tighter focusing ring and mechanism when compared to my DA 12-24mm.

Initially i thought it was the lenses...which scared me even more, but it doesnt happen on my friend's k10d. I thought it was the focusing mechanism in the k10d (maybe a loose gear??) but why would it click and crunch when i MANUALLY turn the focusing ring on the lens?

Any suggestions?

07-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Inactive Account

This may be a moot point but you didn't mention checking it. Look and make sure the switch is firmly over to AF and not moved slightly toward MF. If the screw drive engages the FA lens at a different distance compared to a DA lens, the switch might still be moved enough to just barely touch it and make a noise. Not saying that's what it is but that's what I would try first. Especially since someone on here recently had a similar problem.

CW
07-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
This may be a moot point but you didn't mention checking it. Look and make sure the switch is firmly over to AF and not moved slightly toward MF. If the screw drive engages the FA lens at a different distance compared to a DA lens, the switch might still be moved enough to just barely touch it and make a noise. Not saying that's what it is but that's what I would try first. Especially since someone on here recently had a similar problem.

CW
I hope so but I sort of doubt it, I moved the switch from AF to manual and back to AFS and AFC a few times and it still made the sound, however I guess i never firmly pushed the switch to AFS. I'll try again when I go home from work. Your solution does sound logical though, so here's hoping.
07-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check that the AF gear is OK (unmount the lens, it's diametrically opposed to the red dot).

It's protuding a little bit, in the low-right quadrant of the mount.
You should see it retract when you select MF.
In AF, it should stick out by about 2mm...

07-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, i'll check that as soon as i get home. Is it a common problem that the pin/gear gets pushed in? I've never heard of this issue ever happening. If it is pushed in, im guessing this is not something that a small tug with a set of pliers could fix considering that it would just get pushed back in when i mount a lens. (this is really frustrating).

I've been awaiting the return of my camera for months now and to receive like this is making me lose my hair!

And no i can't afford a K7 at the moment...just bought a house =)
07-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I will learn from your mistake, and my father's. He lent out his Nikon D200 and three lenses. When it was returned, two of the zooms were broken... I will only lend out my point and shoots. Hopefully it is a simple fix!
07-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just wanted to update everyone regarding my AF issue. Apparently dlacouture was on the right track, the screw drive pin was not sticking out as much as it should have been, thus not grobbing the lens' AF slot. The problem was that the front ring-mount plate was coming loose. 2 of the screws were loose, thus the ring was not as tight against the body which prevented the AF screw pin to appear retracted. I've tightened the screws and its fixed but now i'm concerned about something else.

I think the 2 screws that were loose are stripped. i tighten and tighten but it never stops rotating. I think i should replace those 2 screws. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix. Thanks everyone for your ideas.
07-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any signs of the camera being dropped?, that could strip the screws. Normally all that stuff has "lock-tite" on it.

07-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GatorPentax Quote
...The problem was that the front ring-mount plate was coming loose. 2 of the screws were loose...I think the 2 screws that were loose are stripped. i tighten and tighten but it never stops rotating. I think i should replace those 2 screws. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix. Thanks everyone for your ideas.
Ummm...this sounds pretty nasty. How do your lenses look? The camera was undoubtedly dropped or had some other sort of accident. If the screws are stripped, the ruined threads are probably those in the camera chassis. I may be wrong (fingers crossed), but it is my understanding that the screws are stainless steel but thread into aluminum. I would have a competent camera repair guy look at it. Epoxy may be a solution, but that would be permanent.

BTW...I don't know if I read your original post right, but it is not a good practice to manually focus a non-quick shift lens when the AF is engaged.

Steve
07-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Any signs of the camera being dropped?, that could strip the screws. Normally all that stuff has "lock-tite" on it.
I think Ex Finn is right, I dropped my k20d a while back and the lens mount came part way off the camera as the screws pulled out of the plastic. I had to remove the mount to get it flat and put epoxy in the screw holes with a toothpick and re-tighten them. I thought my camera was done, but still works fine so far.
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Thats the funny thing, there are no signs of it being dropped. no scuffs or cracks.

I normally wouldn't rotate the focusing ring if its in AF mode but I had to find out if it was the lens or the camera.

The camera is currently fixed and working but i'm still considering new screws with loc-tite or maybe epoxy.
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter

>Thats the funny thing, there are no signs of it being dropped. no scuffs or cracks.

A drop onto carpet may not put any marks on the body or cracks. Thats the Polycarbonate benefit, it can bend a lot, a whole lot before cracking or breaking. 90% chance they dropped it. Do you have insurance of any kind? But since everything is fine except those two screws your not too bad off. Listen to the others on how to repair it. I believe the screws go through the metal plate into the plastic mirror housing (Polycarbonate) thats a good thing! Better than trying to repair metal! Don't take it all apart just fix the two screws, here is why.