Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Started a second system!

Lately I've been reading a lot of posts in this forum from members who are questioning whether they should abandon Pentax and go with Canon/Nikon/Sony, etc.. because they are not quite satisfied with the performance of their current gear. Many loyal Pentaxians will stick up for Pentax no matter what, which is admirable but with perhaps a little too much emotion & fervor. Others recognize the deficiencies in our gear and try to work around it, abandon ship, or adopt a 2nd system.

I started shooting Pentax near the beginning of last year as I wanted to get a camera system that would take nice pictures when I travel - and to that end, it has served very well. Compact bodies that are tough and weather resistant (when connected to the appropriate lens), small primes with impressive IQ, in-body SR, all add up to make a great travel camera.

At the time, I didn't know much about photography but since then it has developed into more than just a hobby, it's become a passion of mine and through that passion it has started generating income as well. I've shot some events recently (an MBA graduate formal and a couple of weddings) as primary and secondary shooter and in those situations, the short comings of the Pentax system made things more difficult than I would have liked.. primarily it's AF difficulty in low-light, slow AF in general, and something not usually mentioned in these sorts of threads, the inability to rent k-mount lenses. Those who shoot pro on a regular basis may have all their focal lengths covered with quality glass but if I had needed access to lenses that I didn't own, I wouldn't have any rental options (at least not here in Ontario).

The Pentax AF system has been discussed ad nauseam here so I won't go into it very much, other than to say I was quite shocked at how the AF system on the Nikon D700 worked and what an AF system is capable of, compared to what I'm use to on the K20D. So yes, after doing extensive research, I've been seduced by the dark side and recently purchased a D700 + 24-70 f2.8 with high expectations. I should receive delivery sometime next week.

But fear not, I haven't decided to totally abandon our beloved Pentax.. I'll probably keep a body and a prime or two for when I travel. But keep an eye out on the Marketplace as I'm hoping to unload some gear..

Thanks for reading!

07-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keeping your K20D and a couple of primes is a good idea. While i'd love to jump from the K200D to the K20D I just can't justify it. I love the K200D but it's the AF that is starting to get to me. Unfortunately not everyone can afford to keep two systems, myself included. All the best with your D700.
07-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, best of luck. I would not mind having a D700 myself, bottom line is, can`t afford it nor the lenses.
Let us know how it works out
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If it is becoming a business and you are generating money, why not?
You can now afford to buy whatever suits you.
It is all a matter of what you are comfortable with working.

07-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Keeping your K20D and a couple of primes is a good idea. While i'd love to jump from the K200D to the K20D I just can't justify it. I love the K200D but it's the AF that is starting to get to me. Unfortunately not everyone can afford to keep two systems, myself included. All the best with your D700.
Same thing here with K200D. I went to a local store to test K7 and it was ok but still I won't be spending 1000e for that.

People, what I shoot most, have said quite often that it's irritating when I take pictures because it's so slow and that's because of the autofocus doing its lottery. I can meter quite stealthly but when I point camera and focus it just takes too much time (2-3 focuses maybe to get it locked, manual focus is out of the question because of small viefinder and bad eyes) and the situation is already over or the mood/expression of people changes to unnatural posing.

Been thinking of changing system. Most of my friends use Canons so there'd be quite a lot of lenses to borrow.

Until I make some money from photography I won't buy a better camera. Time will tell...
07-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One trick is to get in the habit of half-pressing to pre-focus, and having the OK button (K200D) programmed to temporarily cancel AF. That way no one ever hss to Wait for you to focus. Helps in lots of other situations too.