Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cannot upgrade firmware on K10D

Ok, I have seriously been trying to upgrade this firmware for 2.5 hours. I got my camera today, and it had 1.00 firmware on it. I downloaded (I'm on mac), and I kept trying to follow the instructions with an SDHC card.

Saw on this forum that only SD would work so I went and bought a stupid SD card, and it's still not working. I save the .bin file to the SD card (through the USB interface), I turn my camera on (holding the menu button) and.....

nothing. Nothing at all. It shows me that my firmware is still old and then goes to the regular screen that i get when i turn the camera on.

Pentax took today off AND monday off for the 4th of July, and I need to learn how to use this thing b/c I'm leaving for Scotland in 3 weeks!

Please if someone has an answer I'd love to know, because I can't figure it out. Has anyone gotten it to work on a Mac? I had firmware upgrade problems for my bluray player with mac as well, and finally had to use an old PC (which I don't have anymore).

07-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reformat the SD card in the camera (menu/set-up/format) and re-copy the .bin file to the root directory on the card (not the DCIM directory). Try again. This is a shot in the dark, but worth a try. In theory, a file write from your Mac should be the same as one from a PC since the SD card has a PC-style file system and Macs are smart enough to read/write to both.

Steve

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2010 at 06:40 PM.
07-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

Yep. Worked fine on my K10D and Mac. Should work. Likely one of the two things stevebrot mentions need to be triple checked.

And yes, welcome!
07-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeanimal Quote
Ok, I have seriously been trying to upgrade this firmware for 2.5 hours. I got my camera today, and it had 1.00 firmware on it. I downloaded (I'm on mac), and I kept trying to follow the instructions with an SDHC card.

Saw on this forum that only SD would work so I went and bought a stupid SD card, and it's still not working. I save the .bin file to the SD card (through the USB interface), I turn my camera on (holding the menu button) and.....

nothing. Nothing at all. It shows me that my firmware is still old and then goes to the regular screen that i get when i turn the camera on.

Pentax took today off AND monday off for the 4th of July, and I need to learn how to use this thing b/c I'm leaving for Scotland in 3 weeks!

Please if someone has an answer I'd love to know, because I can't figure it out. Has anyone gotten it to work on a Mac? I had firmware upgrade problems for my bluray player with mac as well, and finally had to use an old PC (which I don't have anymore).
Now that Steve has answered your update question, I Have to ask about the highlighted part. What exactly do you mean by that? Are you saying you were under the impression that an SDHC would Not work for the update? If that's the case, it's wrong. The Only time you would have a compatibility problem between SD and SDHC is if you are trying to read the latter with an old (usb 1) reader.

07-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sdhc

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately, I have tried all your suggestions so many times! I have reset the camera to factory settings just in case something got switched, and I have formatted and reformatted the SD card probably 20 times.

I have not only re-downloaded the file, but we tried it on my MacBook, my fiance's iMac, and his mother's PC. We even found an old version of the firmware (1.2 or something) and tried that via his brother's PC. No luck on any. And every time, we put it in the root menu.

The thing about the SDHC was on this forum somewhere. Someone was told that the instructions say SD not SDHC because the 1.0 firmware couldn't support SDHC until a later firmware upgrade. Since I had no luck with the SDHC we had bought, I went out and got a regular SD. It didn't work any better.

Maybe there is just something defective with the camera. Seems to be about how my luck is running....

Thanks for your help. After 5 hours we gave up and got dinner.
07-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Come to think of it, but I don't really believe it to be the case, I did use a 2Gb SD card when I bought my First Pentax K10d. It's possible that older models didn't support SDHC but I still believe the K10d always did.

It doesn't make any sense that the camera would work (It does take and record photos, right?) and you cannot update the firmware. One thing to make SURE of is that before you attempt it again, your battery is Fully Charged.

So let's go through the checklist..

Charged battery
Format the card, In the camera.
Downloaded firmware
Unpacked the file so you have the BIN file
Copied the Bin file to the Root directory of your card
Press Menu while turning on the camera

If you get the question to upgrade, and you press Yes, Do Not Turn the camera off until it says Complete (phase 1 > Phase 2 > Complete)..

Reformat the card (in the camera).

That's all there should be to it.

Hope you get it figured out.. The firmware is well worth upgrading, at the very least to v1.02. No point in going further unless you need to use SDM (DA* lenses).

07-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Come to think of it, but I don't really believe it to be the case, I did use a 2Gb SD card when I bought my First Pentax K10d. It's possible that older models didn't support SDHC but I still believe the K10d always did.

It doesn't make any sense that the camera would work (It does take and record photos, right?) and you cannot update the firmware. One thing to make SURE of is that before you attempt it again, your battery is Fully Charged.

So let's go through the checklist..

Charged battery
Format the card, In the camera.
Downloaded firmware
Unpacked the file so you have the BIN file
Copied the Bin file to the Root directory of your card
Press Menu while turning on the camera

If you get the question to upgrade, and you press Yes, Do Not Turn the camera off until it says Complete (phase 1 > Phase 2 > Complete)..

Reformat the card (in the camera).

That's all there should be to it.

Hope you get it figured out.. The firmware is well worth upgrading, at the very least to v1.02. No point in going further unless you need to use SDM (DA* lenses).

Hey Jeff,

Yep, brand new batteries. The lithium ones that came with it, but the battery bar shows full. All that it's gotten used for us me trying to upgrade the firmware.

And I am able to take and store pictures.

Everything on the checklist except that I don't get the question to upgrade. It's the most bizarre mystery.
07-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeanimal Quote
Hey Jeff,

Yep, brand new batteries. The lithium ones that came with it, but the battery bar shows full. All that it's gotten used for us me trying to upgrade the firmware.

And I am able to take and store pictures.

Everything on the checklist except that I don't get the question to upgrade. It's the most bizarre mystery.
Are you SURE you have a K10d? Not a K100d or K110d?

The K10d does not use AA batteries... Only a Single proprietary battery... I Ask this because you said "Batteries" as in more than one.

The other problem could easily be that you are downloading the firmware for the wrong camera.

07-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Are you SURE you have a K10d? Not a K100d or K110d?

The K10d does not use AA batteries... Only a Single proprietary battery... I Ask this because you said "Batteries" as in more than one.

The other problem could easily be that you are downloading the firmware for the wrong camera.

OHHHH man. I'm really embarrassed. Can I pass it off to exhaustion? Somehow we got confused by all these references in the manual to the K10, and thought that was what we had (we have a K-x). Yes, we wondered why it said x and not 10, but... I thought the K-X references referred to all K-#'s....

You solved the mystery. And you saved us calling them to tell them it was broken... heh. Thank you so much for all your help.
07-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Each camera has a specific model name and a unique firmware. Glad it's figured out because for a minute, it did have me stumped. Same rules for updating the firmware do apply though. Good luck and show us some pics when you get it all straight.

Welcome aboard by the way..

07-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Well, X IS latin for 10...

Anyway, it was the K100D (and perhaps K110D) that did not support SDHC cards with version 1.0 of its firmware. The K10D accepted SDHC cards from day one.
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Well, X IS latin for 10...

Glad you got it figured out! Your K-x is a great camera and you are going to really enjoy using it!

Steve