Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Visual Comparison: K7 max video resolution vs. 720 and 1080

After looking for a visual comparison between the K7's odd full resolution video and normal 16:9 standards, I ended up having to make one myself. It's attached below. I'm not too worried about copyright or reproduction or anything, I'm not even sure how that works so use it however you may.

The numbers aren't that important, they were just a way to get the visual, feel free to critique the math, I tried as hard as I cold to make it solid but I'm no genius.

After putting all the work into it I thought I might as well post it here to save maybe one other person from having to do it themselves.

Lastly, after seeing difference, I'm bummed that it doesn't do full HD, or even 60 frames. However, even though the T2i does, it still didn't seem worth it to choose it over the K7, I'm glad I chose the Pentax.

The good thing is that you have a decent amount of breathing room to crop or Ken Burns the 1024 video and still come up with a 720HD file.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf k7 resolution.pdf (38.9 KB, 702 views)
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, thanks for doing that, we are in Pentax-land so odd or non conforming things are ok..
07-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Your charts are good, they would give a beginner an idea of relative resolutions. These same charts are all over and are used in teaching video fundamentals for equipment and transmission systems. Your first column lables are however incorrect. All three examples are ALL full HD formats just different types. Your K7 will also do 1280x720 which is not stated in the first column and a lower resolution of 640x416 for web posting etc. I am a little sorry you are bummed out about not doing 60 frames a second, but I would like to remind you that broadcast and cable 1080 signals and 480 signals are also at 30 frames per second and all motion pictures are shot at 24 frames per second. I wouldn't let it worry you to much. You can over come this short comming by panning a little slower and you shouldn't see any difference. Again good comparison chart.
07-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only reason why I wish there were 60 frames was because I got the K7 mainly for snowboard videos (after seeing The Rider on Youtube I was sold instantly).

For action shots I will only be able to slow them down to %80 if I still want an acceptable frame rate, but I rarely go lower than %80 anyway due to it being cheesy and too slow, but I still would like to have an option to.

Eventually I'll get a dedicated 60fps HD camera to do video, the K7 was just a way to get my feet wet, it just pains me that HD camcorders generally aren't water resistant like the K7.

07-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

here are some useful links -

Wikipedia - Display Resolution

and the similar

Wikipedia - Computer Display Standard

and more basic -

Wikipedia - Video (formats)