Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
music_lover

I have a concern for the K-7

I have a concern concerning the K-7 I will be buying in about 2 months. My concern is where the Memory Card slot is and getting the Memory Card out. Does anyboddy have any problems with it? Can the Memory Card be wiggled a little bit to get it loose, cause i am sure it is because of Weather sealing ,
This what i have been reading from a lot of reviews i have read, and camera has everything I need. It is small, Travel worthy, and weather Sealed, as I like to go to Disneyworld a lot, and it seams to rain every time i go. Please help!

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is the only problem I have with the K7's ergonomics.
I find the card to be fiddly to remove.
Some of this is my construction worker fingers, but the door could open a little wider.
OTOH, once the card/holder has had a chance to work in a little and develop a bit of slack, the card will pop out far enough to make removal fairly easy.
If this is your only concern, then you have no concerns at all.
At the worst, you are going to want a pair of tweezers in your camera bag.
07-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is the only problem I have with the K7's ergonomics.
I find the card to be fiddly to remove.
Some of this is my construction worker fingers, but the door could open a little wider.
OTOH, once the card/holder has had a chance to work in a little and develop a bit of slack, the card will pop out far enough to make removal fairly easy.
If this is your only concern, then you have no concerns at all.
At the worst, you are going to want a pair of tweezers in your camera bag.
thanks

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:49 PM.
07-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine pops up just fine, no problems pinching & pulling with what I consider average-size fingers. Maybe my eject spring is springier than others? Plus I read from the camera via cable, so the card doesn't need springing very often. Too many good features for this to trouble me in any case!

07-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I find that instead of pinching the card out like I'm used to on all other cameras I pinch each corner and have no problems yanking the card out.

I have eerily tiny hands though.
07-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

I had real problems with mine -- the card was hard to get out and then would pop across the room when I finally pulled hard enough.

Found the solution online -- here, I think -- which was, weirdly enough, to insert the card backwards as far as it would go and then remove it.

No kidding.

I did this gently, once, and it opened the slot just enough to solve the problem for good.
07-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Check this out.
07-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Hey I have a small Concern (really Minor if anything) on the Pentax K-7, is the Memory Card Slot. I hear the Memory Card is slight hard to get out, I am sure it probably has to do with the Weather Sealing. Anything to be to concerned about?
I am going to Buy in about a month or 2!
Kenneth
No, Kenneth, I don't think the sealing has anything to do with it. Those of us with larger than pencil stick fingers have a hard time grabbing the card due to the clearance between the open door and the protruding card. My solution is to use the USB cable for download. Since I rarely fill a card on a single outing, it works quite nicely for me. When I do have to remove the card, I kind of let it spring up by pushing the card down with my fingernail and letting it snap up. Be careful with this method because the release spring in the camera Will launch the card across the room.

Enjoy your new K7 and welcome to the club.

07-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
I had real problems with mine -- the card was hard to get out and then would pop across the room when I finally pulled hard enough.

Found the solution online -- here, I think -- which was, weirdly enough, to insert the card backwards as far as it would go and then remove it.

No kidding.

I did this gently, once, and it opened the slot just enough to solve the problem for good.
I'll for sure give that backwards insertion a try, GENTLY. As I would never do something as stupid as forcing it, especially on an expensive piece of Equipment like the K-7, that would be an to do so!

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:49 PM.
07-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Like they said, tweezers, or just let your thumb and index finger nails grow little longer.
My san-disc 8gb extreme 3 is fatter than my 16 gb class 10, making it harder to remove. Not that it ever was that hard to start with, just little tighter.
A minor thing that should not cause op to stop from getting a sweet tool.

I would not insert the card backwards, the cause for tightness is not the weather seals either.
07-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
No, Kenneth, I don't think the sealing has anything to do with it. Those of us with larger than pencil stick fingers have a hard time grabbing the card due to the clearance between the open door and the protruding card. My solution is to use the USB cable for download. Since I rarely fill a card on a single outing, it works quite nicely for me. When I do have to remove the card, I kind of let it spring up by pushing the card down with my fingernail and letting it snap up. Be careful with this method because the release spring in the camera Will launch the card across the room.

Enjoy your new K7 and welcome to the club.

well, i don't exactly have pencil like fingers myself which is part of my original concern, more like short and sweet (but not fat fingers) but i am a 300lb person, so you get the picture i hope

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
07-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Like they said, tweezers, or just let your thumb and index finger nails grow little longer.
My san-disc 8gb extreme 3 is fatter than my 16 gb class 10, making it harder to remove. Not that it ever was that hard to start with, just little tighter.
A minor thing that should not cause op to stop from getting a sweet tool.

I would not insert the card backwards, the cause for tightness is not the weather seals either.
Thanks for your kind words! FYI it won't stop me from getting it, my mind was already made up before i put this post up.

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
07-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I think you will find it nice and very capable.
I highly recommend the grip and an extra battery also.
07-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

This is no real problem. While you may always use the cable, the SD card is not that hard to get.

The WR is excellent and that is a key feature of the camera.
07-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I have the standard hand and don't have a problem.
Closed Thread