Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Bag/Strap setup for Snowboarding with a K7

It's never too early to start gearing up for winter, this will be my first winter with the DSLR so I want to see if any of my existing gear and the few things I want to purchase will work out.

What is your method of bringing your camera to the mountain? my plan is below:

My plan:

-Incase DSLR sling bag as my foundation. Will be holding a K7 body, Kx body, 2 18-55 lenses and a 50-200 lens. That all fits but basically maxes out the space. The main draw to me about the sling pack is that it can whip to the front of my body if the lift op doesn't want it on my back. I already have the bag so I really can't afford to buy another one

-An OP/tech pro strap and stabilizer strap to provide quick access to the camera while letting me also use the K7 to take hands free HD video while Im riding (much like people do with the Go Pro). The K7 is weatherproof so it should have no problem being exposed to the elements.

-An OP/tech Hood hat instead of lens caps so I don't have to fumble with hoods and pinch caps.

-(stored in a locker) a Dakine Heli Pro, tripod, extra camera stuff and layers. If the need comes for more equipment I can actually put the sling pack in the heli pro as a camera block (fits perfect, almost like it was made to do it) and use it to transport all my gear from spot to spot but will lose any sort of quick access to my gear.

I think that set would be pretty solid, the only problem I see the camera getting in the way of me swinging the sling around.

Also, I don't really ever fall, not because I'm a particularly good snowboarder, but I'm fairly conservative and never really push it, that's why I'm best suited to work the camera. In the event of a close-fall I usually slow down or gently sit down so there's a very low chance of the K7 being damaged while on my stomach with the OP/tech system. If there was treacherous terrain I would just put it in the sling which is impressively rigid in my opinion

07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

future_retro

You might want to take a look at what Clikelite has to offer. Their gear is made specifically for outdoors use including ski/snowboarding.

The quality is excellent and the gear is very well thought out. They are on the pricey side but the money is well spent in the end.
07-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow thanks for that link, it's a little hard to seek this stuff out but there's some real treasures out there.

Also I apologize, I'm new here and I think I posted this discussion in the wrong section
07-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The outdoors company REI carries Clikelite online. They may not be in store but you could probably have the item shipped to a store near you to have a first hand look. REI is pretty good that way.

The nice thing with ClikElite is the ergonomics can not be beat. They are real backpacking bags in the truest sense. The chest packs also integrate right into the backpacks with chest clips.

I have the compact sport which works great for everyday use for me. It is compact. This season they came out with the Probody sport which is slightly bigger affording more room for hydration food layers and camera gear. They have a side entrance so they function pretty much like a sling bag offering quick access but the ergonomics are a 1000 times better.

07-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a skier and do bring my camera along on occasion. I only ski with my camera pack when I'm planning on shooting and leave it behind when I'm skiing. I'm not worried about hurting the camera in a fall. Pentax builds a rugged camera. I'm more concerned with hurting myself after falling with the camera/backpack. That pack will get heavy towards the end of the day and it does raise your center of gravity and can affect balance. I'm speaking from experience. I'm 59 and have been skiing/shooting for many years. My normal day on the mountain is to ski for about 3 hrs. then take my camera gear up for a couple of hours and hang around the terrain park and halfpipe and catch a breather and then finish out my day of skiing, without the camera pack.

A little off topic but consider picking up the DA 10-17 fisheye. You can get some awesome close-ups with that lens and from the right angle it makes any jump look like big,big air. Your friends will love you.
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That sounds like a good plan, I'll see how much I use the camera and judge whether that will work for me or not.

I think a sling pack is the only real option for a bag unless they will let me keep the heli pro on my back when riding the lift. I've used a fairly heavy pack when resort riding before and having to constantly take it on and off for the lift forced me to change my gear situation so I would never have to bring a back pack.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm a skier and do bring my camera along on occasion. I only ski with my camera pack when I'm planning on shooting and leave it behind when I'm skiing. I'm not worried about hurting the camera in a fall. Pentax builds a rugged camera. I'm more concerned with hurting myself after falling with the camera/backpack. That pack will get heavy towards the end of the day and it does raise your center of gravity and can affect balance. I'm speaking from experience. I'm 59 and have been skiing/shooting for many years. My normal day on the mountain is to ski for about 3 hrs. then take my camera gear up for a couple of hours and hang around the terrain park and halfpipe and catch a breather and then finish out my day of skiing, without the camera pack.

A little off topic but consider picking up the DA 10-17 fisheye. You can get some awesome close-ups with that lens and from the right angle it makes any jump look like big,big air. Your friends will love you.
07-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have made a pocketable system with the K7 and both the DA 21 and the DA 70 lenses. I leave the camera without lens around my neck - under the skiing clothes and I keep the lenses in the pockets of my jacket; when I have to shoot something I have to choose which lens, put it on the camera and that's it. Less flexible than a zoom but more compact too.
Regards
07-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #8

Clikelite makes nice 'slackcountry' packs, but if you're planning any backcountry trips and need a full ski touring/mountaineering bag be sure to check out f/stop packs.