Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give me a needle instead of an LCD.

I was given an old K1000 and lens by a friend and took it out to play today. The one thing that I loved besides the giant viewfinder was the needle metering. You can actually see it in the viewfinder on a sunny day. When shooting in decent light the viewfinder information is almost unviewable. How about an old fashioned needle meter for the next SLR from pentax?

07-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i too miss the needle in the old k1000 i learnt photography with.
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The venerable '1000's analog needle was actually not that accurate, but it was OK with film, which had a wider latitude with exposure.

The Pentax viewfinder's indicators do lighten up in bright ambient light, but, yes, its sometimes a bit hard to see if you are in direct sunlight.
Also the K-7's viewfinder exposure ruler under Manual M mode behaves almost like the old K1000 needle.
07-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Love that needle

As the technology progresses I feel that a lot of good things are being left behind as we look for newer ways to do things. There are many attractions with digital, but there are lots of great things on those older film cameras as well. It's too bad you can't "option" your new camera to include some of those items that you still enjoy. Our new digital cameras have customizable functions galore. Why can't we use those functions to set the view we would prefer to see in the viewfinder?

07-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The venerable '1000's analog needle was actually not that accurate, but it was OK with film, which had a wider latitude with exposure.
Killjoy.
07-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
They could easily make a 'digital' needle as accurate or more accurate than the current system. It wouldn't be using the old exposure system, just displaying today's data differently.
07-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
They could easily make a 'digital' needle as accurate or more accurate than the current system. It wouldn't be using the old exposure system, just displaying today's data differently.
Yes, but it had still better bob up and down if I shake the camera!

07-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Yes, but it had still better bob up and down if I shake the camera!
Yep!!
07-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

One of the fine memories of my hyper-techno Asahi Spotmatic of 1969, now ensconced in my spare bedroom/storage block.

I simply pointed the camera at things I saw through the nice, bright viewfinder and changed aperture/shutter speed until the needle was about where I wanted it (though perhaps not the middle). After that, I simply re-composed, pushed the shutter release, noted that I forgot to cock the shutter, sighed in disgust, cocked the shutter, pushed the shutter release again, and took another poor photo.

Elegant!

Last edited by glanglois; 07-07-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typoo
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Unfortunately a needle is likely more expensive than an LCD nowadays! However, something like that would be very nice. Pentax should make a K1000D, with a non-crippled mount, split-screen viewfinder, MF and manual exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Adam, that's a great idea. I miss the needle on my K1000, too. Also, you knew your battery was dead if the needle didn't move. LOL!
07-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
One of the fine memories of my hyper-techno Asahi Spotmatic of 1969, now ensconced in my spare bedroom/storage block.

I simply pointed the camera at things I saw through the nice, bright viewfinder and changed aperture/shutter speed until the needle was about where I wanted it (though perhaps not the middle). After that, I simply re-composed, pushed the shutter release, noted that I forgot to cock the shutter, sighed in disgust, cocked the shutter, pushed the shutter release again, and took another poor photo.

Elegant!
The K-7 has an electronic needle (sort of) under Manual Exposure M mode. You need to switch off the Horizon indicator , or use the rear LCD to see it.

The ruler bar tells you where you are vs. the recommended exposure, right at the centre . As you change the Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, the ruler bar moves around....

I quite like it....
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unfortunately a needle is likely more expensive than an LCD nowadays! However, something like that would be very nice. Pentax should make a K1000D, with a non-crippled mount, split-screen viewfinder, MF and manual exposure.

While we're at it....how's about an LX-D
07-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I picked up a mint Practika MTL 50 the other day, and the exposure is done with two bright red arrows and a little bar that hovers alongside them. It's so easy,
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When you read the thread title with eyes half-open, it reads like:

"Give me a needle instead of LSD".