07-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice indeed Adam. Impressive.

12-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The fastest colour film I ever saw available for sale was ISO 1600.

Almost any recent model dSLR has better noise control than such film, but the film noise had a grain-like appearance which gave the photos a special flavour.

Not sure - ISO 3200 B&W film might exist. Monochrome noise, is, of course, less of an issue, because you don't get the ugly false colour blotches.
Iso 3200 b/w does exist from Ilford Kodak and Fuji (now discontinued sadly it was the best neopan 1600), and the grain is pretty good. (truly the Ilford is an overated 1600 iso pushed one stop by default a lot of people shoot it at 1600 and pull process. Film is also frequently push processed for extra speed. I will admit that some of the very high iso cameras can be cleaner but Film Grain is far more pleasing to my eye than digital noise (film also does well when extracting an extra stop or 2 when printing or scanning so a high iso film like the Ilford 3200 can be shot at 1600 to control the noise then an extra 2 stops can be extracted when printing or scanning. In this case (provided the scan is ll done) I think it outperforms all but the best Digital (say a K5 for instance)
12-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #33
Site Supporter

My experience shows that K-7 can be used routinely at ISO 3200. However, one has to take into account that noise reduction software, such as Topaz Denoise will have to be used. However, it can be used with great success. The real problem of K-7 at high ISOs is not noise, but lack of DR. So that after the image is denoised and looking good you still have almost no leverage in tonal manipulation - posterization and bright areas saturation are main limiting factors. Another problem is lack of tonal gradation from bright to dark areas. It is effectively too few shades of gray between light and total darkness. In some cases this is not a problem at all, but sometimes it means loosing the picture.

Few recent examples: one, two, three
12-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

all good examples Boris. DR has been the bane of Digital at all iso really. it's only with the advent of the k% and a few others that the DR approaches film handled properly. the biggest issue for me is low/poor light as i shoot a lot of live music and for some reason small clubs believe the only gel needed is red and 3 spots maybe for is more than sufficient (as long as they all have red gels) really there isn't a solution for this. I usually resort to b/w and apply a red filter frequently. With anything I shoot on film (and it will only be b/w) it will generally come out better than the Digital (I tried a kx and didn't find it wildly better)
Last night the light was so bad I resorted to Flash (which really kills some of the mood) dialed it down to -1.7ev and shot at a much lower iso. I imagine the shots will be much cleaner when i get to them, but they will still end up b/w as the loss of the mood lighting creates takes me back to that again. Flip side is as I shot with much narrower Aperture (5.6-8) more of my manual focus lens shots will be in good focus (shooting a moving subject in low light at 1.7 is a tough focus scenario)

12-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #35

The high ISO noise in the Raw files for the k-7 was pretty much equivalent with the other cameras in it's class when it came out. It was the jpeg engine's default handling (or lack there of) that put the K-7 behind the likes of the D300. S, it totally makes sense that changing the default settings and/or using some post processing would yield some nice shots at higher ISO settings on the k-7.

Thank you very much for this thread. I have since tried many of the suggestions contained within, and I am very pleased wth the results. I really love my K-7- and now even more!
02-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #36

I really really love my K-7, but the high ISO noise is the camera's weak point. I took some pictures about a month ago that required ISO 3200. At that point I hadn't turned on noise reduction and the pictures are awful, so much so in fact that they were almost ruined.

I would be interested to hear from others about noise reduction software that's not too expensive and works well. Like I said, I love my K-7. If the high ISO noise could be fixed I would love the camera all that much more.
02-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
I really really love my K-7, but the high ISO noise is the camera's weak point. I took some pictures about a month ago that required ISO 3200. At that point I hadn't turned on noise reduction and the pictures are awful, so much so in fact that they were almost ruined.

I would be interested to hear from others about noise reduction software that's not too expensive and works well. Like I said, I love my K-7. If the high ISO noise could be fixed I would love the camera all that much more.
I think Topaz DeNoise is the current favorite of folks around here (Topaz DeNoise - Remove Noise, Recover Detail). I use Noiseware, just because it was cheaper and it seems to work fairly well.

Noiseware is a plug in for Photoshop or Photoshop elements. Noise Ninja is the same way. Not certain about Topaz.
02-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #38
Pentaxian

That is something I have had(optics palys a Great part on these too)on my K-7. For me 1600-2000 is enough for most of situations. And it is usable, with good lenses. And this example proofs that too. nice pics, with museum lightings.

02-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have any opinions as to how the noise reduction in Lightroom stacks up to products like Topaz? Lightroom seems to work pretty well for me, though I depend on trial and error for results, since I'm still not clear at all on what exactly the various settings are supposed to do, and especially how noise reduction interacts with sharpening (another area I need to educate myself on)

So far I'm finding that simply (or not so simply) avoiding under-exposure, whatever the iso, helps me keep noise under control -- but the problem is, I fear blown highlights more than noise, so I'm frequently underexposing. Fortunately, I rather like the quality of the luminance noise with the K7, for many pics.
02-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Topaz DeNoise is the current favorite of folks around here (Topaz DeNoise - Remove Noise, Recover Detail). I use Noiseware, just because it was cheaper and it seems to work fairly well.

Noiseware is a plug in for Photoshop or Photoshop elements. Noise Ninja is the same way. Not certain about Topaz.
Topaz denoise is a plugin for Photoshop, PSE, Lightroom, Aperture - you can't use it stand alone. There are a couple of other programs that support it as a plug in - see this link
Compatibility (Photography Software) - Topaz Labs - Knowledge Base
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All JPEGs- I don't shoot RAW

I'll check in with more details once all the photos are processed. As far as I can see, though, the loss of detail is minimal, and definitely worth it considering that there's no noise at ISO 800!
You don't shoot RAW. What good reason would one have not to shoot in RAW, with the kind of equipment you use? Doesn't make sense to me
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I finally got fantastic results from my K-7. I sold it and hence no more noisy K-7 images
04-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #43

@adam : i think it will be nice if you make this useful thread "sticky" ... :top: ..danke
04-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Image 1 EXIF:
F2
1/45
ISO 800

Image 2/3 EXIF:
F2
1/15
ISO 800

When I was using my K-7, I noticed the noise was lower after a series of shots after I reduced my shutter speed. My shutter speed average was over 1/250 but when I reduced it to 1/60 I was surprised to see almost no noise at higher ISO.

I never did any testing but my hypothesis was the lower shutter speeds allowed more light to be processed by the sensor and it sort of burned away the noise.
09-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

My wife God love her found this thread and changed the settings before I had a chance to point her this way, However she says the pictures are now appearing darker than before she changed them. Yes less noise but not as crisp are we missing something?

JJ