Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

[langtitle=sv]k10d - can i adjust green-button-exposure measuring?[/langtitle]

I have an old rikenon 50mm/2 P which I'm happy with,
and use the manual mode with "green button" for exposure measuring.

However, the k10 always underexposure with about 1/2 - 1 step.
So I've aquired a habit of increasing the suggested exposure-time,
which works but it's tedious.

Since EV-adjustment isn't available in M-mode, I'd like to trim the
exposure-measurement in any way. Possible??

regards,

/teson

07-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately no. For some reason the k10 is the only camera that does not have ev compensation in manual. It drives me nuts
07-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Why do you need EV compensation in M mode? Why not just dial in the correct exposure?

Set your custom menu to do DOF preview (not digital preview) when you pull the power switch to the right (preview position) to stop the lens down, and then dial in your exposure according to the meter. If you find you are still under exposing, adjust accordingly.

07-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[langtitle=sv]solved[/langtitle]

I browsed the handbook and the Av-mode mode works with my rikenon,
it does however always measure and expose on minimal aparture, 2.0.
So Av-mode for 2.0, "M" for anything else.

And no more need for green-button and EV is back.

:-D

//t

07-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Why do you need EV compensation in M mode? Why not just dial in the correct exposure?

Set your custom menu to do DOF preview (not digital preview) when you pull the power switch to the right (preview position) to stop the lens down, and then dial in your exposure according to the meter. If you find you are still under exposing, adjust accordingly.

Why you ask?

Because many lenses exhibit a metering error that is consistent over most or all of the aperture range. In this case you would want to dial it in once not every time you meter on a scene. As I pointer out earlier the K10 is the only camera that does not allow ev compensation.

If you want an example of a lens and metering issue just put a teleconverter on a lens with an A setting and watch what happens
07-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why you ask?

Because many lenses exhibit a metering error that is consistent over most or all of the aperture range. In this case you would want to dial it in once not every time you meter on a scene. As I pointer out earlier the K10 is the only camera that does not allow ev compensation.

If you want an example of a lens and metering issue just put a teleconverter on a lens with an A setting and watch what happens
Since I don't own an A type TC, that amounts to putting an M type lens on the camera. I put the lens on the camera, set to M, pull the DOF lever, and There is the meter. Adjust the exposure (which you have to do in M anyway), focus, and shoot. If you know a particular lens ALWAYS underexposes anyway, press the green button, adjust aperture or shutter speed, focus shoot.

I understand that some would rather not take that extra exposure step and would prefer to just use the green button, but it isn't that much of a hardship to do it.

07-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's especially non-problematic if you get out of the habit of hitting the Green button on every shot, but get comfortable with simply letting an exposure ride until the light changes.

But FWIW, the K10D is *not* the only model that doens't allow compensation in M mode. It may be the only *two-dial* camera that doesn't, though.
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It is a problem more when shooting wild lifemwith long lenses and in and out of shadows

While Marc manly be correct withrespect to other single wheel bodies also not having the feature it really is an oversight on pentaxes part

07-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the info. Very iteresting. I have not play a lot with manual lenses. Any info is very helpful.
07-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is a problem more when shooting wild lifemwith long lenses and in and out of shadows
Also wider angle shots when walking through the woods with dappled light where you're constantly going in and out of shadow. These two situations are actually about the only times I ever consider leaving M mode (assuming I'm using a lens that supports other modes). But I do think many people probably hit the Green button unnecessarily often overall.