Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Hi "lapeen"

I think those two previous shots by "Mike Cash" say it all really. Shake Reduction (SR) is the difference between ending up with the usual 'blurry mess' in the first picture (sorry Mike !) and capturing a successfully sharp shot (usually under difficult lighting conditions) in the second photo. Bear in mind that EVERY lens fitted with a Pentax K-mount bayonet (both old and new !) will benefit from this amazing SR technology. If you want to start out with just one 'walkaround' lens that covers everything from wide-angle (28mm) to telephoto zoom (375mm) in a compact form-factor, look no further than Tamron's superb new AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) lens. In case you're slightly puzzled by the apparent discrepancy in the different figures, the K100D uses an APS-C sensor which involves a focal-lenth magnification factor of x 1.5, thus 18mm x 1.5 = 27.5mm & 250mm x 1.5 = 375mm). I've had one of these Tamron's for about a month now and am totally 'over-the-moon' with mine, so this might be all the lens you EVER need. I think it retails for around US $500.00 or less ($459.00 at some stores) in the States, although this may be more than you wish to spend at the moment ?
If you look down the various threads in the Pentax SLR Lens Discussion section, there is a post entitled:
"The Tamron 18-250 is Looking Real Good", so please have a quick look at some of the photos various people have posted recently (myself included !) and the accompanying discussions, which may well be of interest to you. An added benefit of keeping this lens on your K100D for most of the time would be the greatly reduced chance of getting unwanted dust on your camera's sensor.

With kindest regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-17-2007 at 12:10 PM.
08-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You all convinced me!

I ordered my k100d this morning I am very excited!!

I would LOVE that 18-250... but it is WAY out of my price range at this time. So for now I will stick with the kit lens... the 50mm 1.2 lens I just got conned into buying for $15 at a pawn shop (holy fast talker, batman!), and the 28mm I am bidding on right now and hopefully get

I guess til tax return time I can just zoom with my feet
08-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 28mm f2.8 is really a great lens. I can make mine take very sharp photos and the moderate wide-angle is quite nice for a walk-around lens that also has some fairly close focusing distances. You'll like it..

Now, how about that 50mm f1.2? That's a doozy of a lens, quite rare actually. $15 sounds like a steal to me.. literally. If you get bored with it I'll give ya $20

By the way, for a good tele.. Look at the DA 50-200.. It's really a good lens and produces nice images for the money - $210 or less. Or, for quite a bit less money, might I suggest the SMC 135mm f2.8? It's a bit better at gathering the light, it has a coated lens and, is roughly 200mm on your K10D. You can probably find one for between $40 and $90 - possibly even less.

good luck!
08-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I think she must have meant f1:2 and not f1:1.2. Huge difference. Fifteen bucks is a good price on an f2. I think it costs that much just to look at a 1.2.

08-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2

...and it is NOT pretty. The glass looks great, but the front part (where the lens cap would go....sure there is some special name that I am not yet privy to ) is a bit dented and dinged, but all the rings turn very nicely... not that I have anything to compare it to

Last edited by lapeen; 08-17-2007 at 05:30 PM.
08-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Does it say "SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm" on the front?

That would be an f2.

On the aperture ring, what is the smallest number you see? Is it "2" scrunched right next to a "2.8"?

That would be an f2.

If the smallest number is a "1.2", then you have lucked onto the bargain of a lifetime.

If the smallest number is a "2", and the lens works, then you got a fair deal.

The difference between 1:2 and 1:1.2 is the difference between twenty bucks and five hundred bucks.

(The special name is the "filter ring").
08-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes you are right, it says SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm with a 2 scrunched beside the 2.8. (what a difference a little punctuation mistake can make, huh!? )

I didn't think it was anything special. I just wanted something manual to play with when my camera gets here. I was just glad I got out of there with one lens. He was trying to convince me to get a bunch others that neither of us even knew if they fit pentax or not!! I will be avoiding that place until I grow some cajones and know what I am doing!!!

Or maybe I can get Ken to meet me over there sometime

Last edited by lapeen; 08-17-2007 at 06:25 PM.
08-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
Yes you are right, it says SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm with a 2 scrunched beside the 2.8. (what a difference a little punctuation mistake can make, huh!? )

I didn't think it was anything special. I just wanted something manual to play with when my camera gets here. I was just glad I got out of there with one lens. He was trying to convince me to get a bunch others that neither of us even knew if they fit pentax or not!! I will be avoiding that place until I grow some cajones and know what I am doing!!!

Or maybe I can get Ken to meet me over there sometime
Where did you find a pawn shop with any lenses? Is it in Brewer next to the bridge? I'd be more than happy to meet for a lens scavenger hunt any time. Who knows what we might find, By the way, that 50mm f2 is a darn good lens. Congrats on finding it. It's dog day downtown tomorrow, might be good for a few photos.

Regards,
Ken

08-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Where did you find a pawn shop with any lenses? Is it in Brewer next to the bridge? I'd be more than happy to meet for a lens scavenger hunt any time. Who knows what we might find, By the way, that 50mm f2 is a darn good lens. Congrats on finding it. It's dog day downtown tomorrow, might be good for a few photos.

Regards,
Ken
Yup that's the one. He has a whole bunch of lenses and has no clue what cameras they are for. Fratti's only had 2... no pentax... and Bangor photo wants more for their used lenses than they cost new online!!

Totally bummed about Dog Day since I have no camera right now (one packed up for Ebay and one in transit from Adorama)!! It's also Children's Day in Hampden with FANTASTIC (way better than 4th of July) fireworks....and me with no camera!! Oh well... there's always next year!!
08-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
Yup that's the one. He has a whole bunch of lenses and has no clue what cameras they are for. Fratti's only had 2... no pentax... and Bangor photo wants more for their used lenses than they cost new online!!

Totally bummed about Dog Day since I have no camera right now (one packed up for Ebay and one in transit from Adorama)!! It's also Children's Day in Hampden with FANTASTIC (way better than 4th of July) fireworks....and me with no camera!! Oh well... there's always next year!!
There is the Blueberry festival in Machias this weekend. I'm going Sunday to try out my new zoom. Should be some good displays.

Ken
08-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Another great place for used lenses is estate auctions, sure it is a bit ghoulish but LBA cannot be denied. I recently picked up an ME Super, a 50 1.7, and a couple of MF zoom lenses for $35 CDN, plus a Brownie and a Praktica camera and lenses.