Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Yikes... I am waivering on my decision (d40 vs k100d)

After reading this thread with all the talk about the extreme slowness of the k100d, and then seeing the photos on this page...

Nikon D40 Compared to Nikon D50 and Pentax K100D / K110D Digital SLR Cameras

I am a little concerned. I would hate for my friend (who has a d40) to take some snaps with my camera and say, "WOW... this is really slow compared to mine" I have also used hers... so am I going to notice that? Also, we are often out together taking photos and it would really suck if her pictures of the kids sitting on a pumpkin are visibly better than mine.

I do love her d40... the only thing I DON'T like about it is the lens issue ...and it's a little more expensive.

So... talk me into it.... or out of it

08-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I was between the D80 and the K10D and for me there was no comparison, but look at it this way: both Nikon and Pentax make good dSLR cameras. You have to go to a store and try them both out. If you are like me (and I believe most people) one will feel better in your hands. And make sure you take a few shots - compare the focusing yourself, and bear in mind that the lens attached can affect the focusing speed. Oh and if you're like me you'll be so tempted by the technically superior underdog (well i had to get some bias in there somewhere) :P

The lens issue you mention is a valid one - i am reassured that Pentax has always made a distinct effort to make their cameras backwards compatible with old lenses but Nikon is very bad in this respect and this did contribute to my decision both because of the second hand lenses available for a Pentax and because it reassured me that the Pentax lenses I buy are more likely to be compatible if I upgrade to a new Pentax in the future. There is no guarantee of this, but at least Pentax have made that effort in the past.

Anyway, it is a personal decision. You will find a lot of Nikon fans and a lot of Pentax fans (particularly around here). It is always sound advice that you should listen to what those tell you who are experienced camera users on both sides of the fence (that doesn't include me!), but have a good think, a play with the cameras, decide what is important to you and make your own decision.

And at the end of the day, the body isn't THAT bigger deal - the glass is more important IMO.

Good luck!
08-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote

I am a little concerned. I would hate for my friend (who has a d40) to take some snaps with my camera and say, "WOW... this is really slow compared to mine" I have also used hers... so am I going to notice that?
Are you buying the camera for you, or for your friend? Which camera do you feel most comfortable with? How important is in-body shake reduction?

I don't know what you take photos of (kids, it sounds like), but how important is burst mode for you?

The D40 works at 2.5 fps for unlimited JPEGs, the K100D works at 2.8fps for 5 JPEGs. Will you be taking continuous photos often? If not, the K100D isn't too slow.

QuoteQuote:
Also, we are often out together taking photos and it would really suck if her pictures of the kids sitting on a pumpkin are visibly better than mine.
Both cameras will produce photos of similar quality, unless she is a better photographer than you are. There is little difference.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/page20.asp

My final word of advice will be to choose the camera based on your needs and what feels best to you. Leave your friend out of the equation. The limiting factor with any camera is the photographer.
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wish I could 'feel' the k100d, but there is no place around here than carries it. I love the way the nikon feels, but up until today I was sure I liked the pentax better 'on paper.'

Yes, my pictures are mostly of kids and pets.

I know if I COULD feel with it and play with it that my decision would be made easily!

08-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #5

I'm not sure where you live in Maine, but Ritz carries them. You could always try one there. Or, if you ever get near Manchester, NH you could try mine.

I was in the same position as you about a month ago. I chose the Pentax for the lens capability, SR (which makes a big difference) and price. I've been very happy with my choice. I also like the LCD on the top of the camera.
08-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Coleen,
The photos on that web site are default settings which means nothing. Each company sets the default the way they think a photo should be seen. If you took a Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax and set them to your liking there is no way you will be able to tell one from the other. That goes for both Jpeg and RAW files. The size of the buffer might make a difference if you shoot in RAW and use continuous mode. I don't know if there is a big difference in buffer size. There is a difference in lenses between the two. Nikon lenses will cost you more especially if you look at some of the older Pentax lenses. Real world speed will be the same except in low light. My guess is that the D40 might be a little faster in some low light situations but not enough to make a difference.

The SR is a BIG issue. I don't think I'll ever have a camera that doesn't have built in SR. Every lens is stabilized. That cuts cost and gives you more keepers. Over all cost of the Pentax system will be a lot less.

If you decide to upgrade at a later date they both have a nice upgrade path. The Pentax system will cost you less to upgrade. It really comes down to cost, your preference and attitude. The Pentax system is less expensive in both the short and long term. Your preference is the most important. Which feels best to you and which one has the controls you like the best. IMO these are things you can learn to like about both of them.
Attitude, Do you like to march in parades and be in step or are you always a little out of step with everybody else? I've never been one for parades so the Pentax fits me better.

The best thing is regardless of which one you choose you won't be making a mistake. When you are at the folk festival keep your eyes open for an old fart with a Pentax camera strap and a $100 old lens that is as good or better than any $800 nikon lens.

Regards,
Ken
08-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Take a drive to Portland

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I wish I could 'feel' the k100d, but there is no place around here than carries it. I love the way the nikon feels, but up until today I was sure I liked the pentax better 'on paper.'

I know if I COULD feel with it and play with it that my decision would be made easily!
Hunt's Photo out near the mall has them in stock.

Ken

08-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL... I won't be at the Folk Festival. My friend and I are headed down to North Conway, NH for some tax-free shopping In fact, I am thinking I may wait to buy my camera until them because maybe someone will have it down there and I can play with it AND buy it tax-free!

You kinda hit the nail on the head with the parade thing... I too like to march to the beat of my own wacky little drummer

I guess what are you are all saying is that I REALLY need to get my hands on one, so I think I will wait to buy until I can do that.... if not in North Conway, then I can go visit my Nana in Portsmouth... she would love that
08-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #9

There's a camera store in N. Conway, but I don't remember if they have any in stock or not. I *think* they did when I was there last (about a month ago).
08-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found a place, Spectrum Camera. I just called them and they do have it in stock. They are selling the super and the regular for $699 (WOW! that's pricey!) So if I can be patient I will wait until we go there so I can check it out... but I am not known for my patience so I may just throw caution to the wind and order it anyway sight unseen!!

I'm such a REBEL!!

Thank you all for getting me through that very brief Nikon virus ...it really snuck up on me!!
08-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest a couple of things regarding the speed issues. A good card for the times you want a lot of continuous shooting. My Sandisk Extreme III writes raw files very quickly and I can shoot again or review in a matter of 2 seconds or less. Also if you want to shoot till the card is full in a situation (race cars?) when maybe 10+ shots are wanted, then switch to Jpegs. The image quality is still excellent and the buffer can handle the file size much faster. You can basically shoot till the card is full and review them instantly. I just did a test with Jpegs and fired off 36 frames without any interruption and was able to view the pictures instantly.

As for AF speed that greatly depends on the lens used as well. With primes I find my K110D (K100D without the SR) is super fast at focusing any shot with reasonable contrast. Zooms can be a little slower particularly on lenses that are above f5.6. Invest in decent glass as you build your kit and there won't be any issue IMO.
08-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I just did a test with Jpegs and fired off 36 frames without any interruption and was able to view the pictures instantly.
hmm that is with your k110d? i tought it could only do 5 in a row in JPEG!
Then i think i would go buy a fast card if its the case!
08-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I also was going back and forth between the D40 and the K100D.

I disremember the specifics, but the Pentax was a clear winner on lens compatibility. I don't have the money to buy modern lenses, and with the outstanding backwards compatibility Pentax has, I have my choice from mountains of used lenses. As it turns out, my favorites are Takumars from the 1960s and I use them almost exclusively. Great glass, bargain basement prices. Oh....and in-body Shake Reduction works with each and every one of them, beating the hell out of having to pay hundreds and hundreds extra on each and every lens for in-lens image stabilization with the D40.

Other than that, it was a matter of 9 or 11 auto-focus points (don't even remember how many the K100D has) versus 3 for the D40. Since I shoot manual focus and disable the AF points, it turned out to be a moot point for me, although it seemed important enough at the time.

I don't shoot in burst mode and had no idea that the D40 had a better buffer and performance in that area. Didn't research it then, and don't miss it now. Trust me, though, the speed at which the camera can rapid-fire is not going to be the determining factor in getting a great shot of a kid on a pumpkin. I think we all know there are folks, many among us, who can take a disposable camera bought at the corner gas station and turn out better kids-on-pumpkins shots than some of us could with free access to whatever high-end gear we wanted.
08-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I find the K100D too simplified compared to the K10D... and the D40 is far worse. I could hardly figure out where the manual controls were on that thing (mind you it was in someone else's hands, I was trying to help them).
08-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I also was going back and forth between the D40 and the K100D.

I disremember the specifics, but the Pentax was a clear winner on lens compatibility. I don't have the money to buy modern lenses, and with the outstanding backwards compatibility Pentax has, I have my choice from mountains of used lenses. As it turns out, my favorites are Takumars from the 1960s and I use them almost exclusively. Great glass, bargain basement prices. Oh....and in-body Shake Reduction works with each and every one of them, beating the hell out of having to pay hundreds and hundreds extra on each and every lens for in-lens image stabilization with the D40.

Other than that, it was a matter of 9 or 11 auto-focus points (don't even remember how many the K100D has) versus 3 for the D40. Since I shoot manual focus and disable the AF points, it turned out to be a moot point for me, although it seemed important enough at the time.

I don't shoot in burst mode and had no idea that the D40 had a better buffer and performance in that area. Didn't research it then, and don't miss it now. Trust me, though, the speed at which the camera can rapid-fire is not going to be the determining factor in getting a great shot of a kid on a pumpkin. I think we all know there are folks, many among us, who can take a disposable camera bought at the corner gas station and turn out better kids-on-pumpkins shots than some of us could with free access to whatever high-end gear we wanted.
Thanks Mike... this is the stuff I was looking for! Glad to hear from someone who has BTDT and went with the Pentax. I think part of my little "freak out" yesterday was that I DON'T know how to shoot manual yet, so while all those old lenses look really cool and help you all to take some fabulous photos.... it's a little scary thinking about buying something that I don't know how to use!

Not that I haven't done it before though. When I was 18, I bought my first new car, a manual shift Geo Storm. I had to call my MOM to come and drive it home for me because I did not know how to drive stick. It was only a few days though before I was just zippin' around town

I hope manual shooting is a similiar experience for me!

And I will DEFINITELY be making sure to get a fast card!! I honestly thought the whole 'fast card' thing was a load of crap that the card manufacturers made up to sell more cards!